Motorhome magazines. Time for a new format? (1 Viewer)

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
The MMM magazine arrived the other day and remained unopened until I woke this morning at 4am and couldn't sleep. I eventually opened it and started reading it until after about 20 minutes it had done its job and made me sleepy. Apart from the excellent Andy Stothert, most of the article writers are primarily lovers of archeology, geology, ancient history and historic gardens. The fact that they also occasionally drive a motorhome appears to legitimise their writing prowess. I now find that if I want to find out more about a place and its campsites etc I will search through YouTube where I can find more relevant descriptions of places by people such as The Wildering Campers. Similarly, descriptions of Aires are also to be found there, many filmed by members of this forum. This made me wonder if a better format would be through the format of video...an entire magazine covering all of the topics covered in motorhome magazines put together in a 'moving film'. I am convinced that there are so many interesting and funny members on here who could contribute some interesting articles.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The MMM magazine arrived the other day and remained unopened until I woke this morning at 4am and couldn't sleep. I eventually opened it and started reading it until after about 20 minutes it had done its job and made me sleepy. Apart from the excellent Andy Stothert, most of the article writers are primarily lovers of archeology, geology, ancient history and historic gardens. The fact that they also occasionally drive a motorhome appears to legitimise their writing prowess. I now find that if I want to find out more about a place and its campsites etc I will search through YouTube where I can find more relevant descriptions of places by people such as The Wildering Campers. Similarly, descriptions of Aires are also to be found there, many filmed by members of this forum. This made me wonder if a better format would be through the format of video...an entire magazine covering all of the topics covered in motorhome magazines put together in a 'moving film'. I am convinced that there are so many interesting and funny members on here who could contribute some interesting articles.
Jim came to that conclusion last year and has spent months putting together a fantastic motorhome magazine, which is only £10.99 a year to "NoFunners" (Muggles) but is absolutely FREE to Motorhome FUN subscribers

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
I/we enjoy reading MMM but agree with your sentiments regarding what the writers are interested in.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
I feel the same as Parrot Face ... I gave up buying magazines some years ago as many stories were as you say off piste. I found after a year or two the features were repeated (beneficial for new motorhomers).. Its the CCC and CMHC magazines that wind me up (yes I am down the paperless route) I can do one in six minutes now ...do I need to learn how to identify an acorn, wash a dogs paw , or bake a daffodil and holly berry pie . (Sorry to those like to read these ..I can't see much benefit) :devil:

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I think MMM is rubbish. Particularly their Motorhome reviews.

When did you last read a report that said : The inside is tacky and the workmanship is shoddy.

Or:

Before you buy a motorhome from this manufacturer do your research about their reputation to leak like a sieve.

Yes,I know they would phrase it a bit better than I have,maybe,but there is no attempt to cover the bad points.
But,of course,they need the advertising revenue ...........which Jim’s online mag doesn’t.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Took out a 4 issue sub just for the free show ticket
First one arrived.. I read about 10 pages, came to the conclusion it was still as bad as the first one I bought 10+ years ago.. In fact apart from the adverts it could have been the same magazine !
2nd one arrived.. Looked at the first page and that was enough
Foned up and cancelled any renew..

Jims mag is waited for eagerly and devoured cover to cover.....................

• Love It
Reactions: Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We are so used to consuming the highest production quality video that it really grates to watch anything less. 99% of Instructional/informative youtubes I watch are always fast-forwarded to get to the point, or turned off long before the end.

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
MMM is crap. Shows are now crap. All over priced.
This year I am focusing from a dealers point of view on Twatter, Faceache and on here.
I don't know official figures but I reckon Jimbo probably has more subscribers than people that buy MMM anyway?

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
CCC and C&MC are toilet reading here and I'm sure that in times of need could be used in place of a toilet roll particularly if the last reader had helpfully torn it into squares ready for use!

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Am also getting fed up with MMM it's more a travel magazine than a motorhome one. Don't know how it can possibly help anyone starting out and researching now, and the letters, as in the club mags, are all on the same subjects and usually by the same people.
Think i will cancel my subscription too, I do still like Practical motorhome, might set up a swapsie with a mate who gets MMM, just in case i miss some snippet of vital importance ;)
Have possibly spent enough on the mag over the years to have updated our Mizar

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think we are all different. I'm interested in where to go in our MH so the travel articles are all I normally read. A magazine which was only full of technical stuff would be very boring for me. Our MH is just a means of transport and accommodation.

Can't stand folk spouting off on YouTube. :)

Jun 22, 2011
Onchan, Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
I think MMM is rubbish. Particularly their Motorhome reviews.

When did you last read a report that said : The inside is tacky and the workmanship is shoddy.

Or:

Before you buy a motorhome from this manufacturer do your research about their reputation to leak like a sieve.

Yes,I know they would phrase it a bit better than I have,maybe,but there is no attempt to cover the bad points.
But,of course,they need the advertising revenue ...........which Jim’s online mag doesn’t.
100% agree. We need critical analysis from an expert who can point out the bad points as well as the good.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
MMM has a TV channel, seek it out and see if you can watch a whole episode without vomiting.
no thanks i am just going to the pub

OP
OP
Parrot Face
Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Leave the CCC and C&MC magazines alone ...do you remember when we watched Crossroads because it was so bad but amusing to watch eg. Sandy answering the phone before it rang? The CCC and C&MC magazines now fill that gap. The readers letters are full of classics, like the guy who would go to the toilet in the middle of the night and couldn't find his way back to his outfit. His Top Tip.....always tie a long ball of string to your unit and unravel it to the toilets then follow it back.

• Love It
Reactions: DBK
Sep 21, 2016
Stortford
Funster No
MH
La strada Avanti
Exp
Since 2013
Leave the CCC and C&MC magazines alone ...do you remember when we watched Crossroads because it was so bad but amusing to watch eg. Sandy answering the phone before it rang? The CCC and C&MC magazines now fill that gap. The readers letters are full of classics, like the guy who would go to the toilet in the middle of the night and couldn't find his way back to his outfit. His Top Tip.....always tie a long ball of string to your unit and unravel it to the toilets then follow it back.
Reminds me of the story of the keyholes in German medieval castles. They start off really wide at the top and you just slide the key down until it ends up in the lock. Designed for drunks so that they can make it back to the room when pi$$ed.

Hey CCC, do I get the job?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back