Motorhome magazines - content (1 Viewer)

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
As I am sure most newcomers to any pastime, sport or hobby (or even way of life) do, I have been reading lots of monthly magazines, principally "Practical Motorhome" and "MMM"

I wonder if other motorhomers agree regarding what seems to me to be an undue concentration in these magazines on campsites?

Now I'm not denying that information on sites is of interest, especially to those of us who haven't yet tried the pleasures of wild camping, but to me the essence of motorhoming is all about the journey, the adventure of new places, and exploration. I'm also keenly interested in motorhomes, of course, the various layouts, acessories, tips and tricks to make the peripatetic life more comfortable and fulfilling. Frankly I'm not so concerned about the campsites, given an acceptable level of cleanliness and amenity then it's only a place to stop for a sleep and a pause in the journey.

So, if my views are a reflection of the attitude of most motorhomers (and maybe they're not!) then why are magazines aimed at motorhome users crammed with page after page of campsite descriptions? There are of course other articles which are of interest, but it's the balance I'm complaining of.

I know we live in a commercial world, and I suspect that providing advertising for campsites is a source of valuable revenue, but at the end of the day I'm not going to continue to subscribe to a magazine that doesn't give me enough of what I want to read - articles about motorhomes, journeys, exploration, routes (I've yet to see an article describing, say, a route around Scotland taking in the best views, places of interest, etc.)

Masses of detail about campsites is all very well for those who like to stay in one place for a while - and I have no issues with that - but if I wanted that I'd be a caravanner or a camper.

Do others share my views? Or am I just being a grumpy old sod as usual?

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
I'm a member of the grumpy old sod brigade too and for the same reason. I have given up reading motorhome magazines as I find this website more fun and more informative.
As regards campsites I agree there is too much information and reviews about them especially as I rarely use them and if I do I certainly will not wade through a magazine to see if there is one just where I happen to be when I want to use one.
It took me quite a bit of persuasion for Sue to use the facilities in the mh rather than those provided by the campsite. Why complain about unclean or unfriendly toilet blocks when we have a warm and clean one, used only by us inside, why shower in a shower block when we have facilities in the mh. At last she has agreed and as a result we off site park.
Now when I look at motorhome magazines it is clear they frown on this and you will have to search very hard to find any articles that recommend this practice.

So like you I have given up reading magazines but still have to trip over the site handbooks that come with each monthly issue.

Norman

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
While there are many motorhome users who prefer to not use campsites or prefer CL/CS type sites there is still a large proportion of users who do use main sites. The problem is from a magazine editors point of view trying to make (and then keep) everybody happy. Some people prefer a mag biased towards the techy aspects, some prefer write ups of other people's touring holidays and routes some prefer to read about the more user oriented aspects of motorhome ownership. FWIW I think both MMM and PMH get the balance about right overall. I'm never likely to follow any of the "getaway" features that usually start PMH off but I do find many of them interesting reading.

Each to their own, D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I also cancelled my subscription

I got fed up with pages and pages of adverts, same thing month after month. I cancelled my subscription.

I have had a motorhome in some form for 25 years now and I like the trip in general. One of the reasons I do not do motorways in France is because I want to see the country, experience things other than tarmac... plus I save a lot of money not paying for tolls.

You can get a lot of information on this site and others. It is how you get the information and use it. I often look at American sites to get detailed information on my American RV. Yes there is info over here in the UK and I do use it, but with the internet these days I can find so much more information in general.

But the magazines these days are just a waste of space as far as I am concerned.

Bob

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Useful and informative when starting on the motorhome experience but like most I find them too full of ads. Loads of MMM's sitting in the loft and the last year I bought, 2009 or so, are still in their plastic wrappers. Useful maybe to research reviews of new vans that may be bought secondhand a few years later.

A member of both clubs, I find the CC and C&CC mags can be read in the ten minutes it takes for my coffee and toast in the morning.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I only now get the CCC magazine

Useful and informative when starting on the motorhome experience but like most I find them too full of ads. Loads of MMM's sitting in the loft and the last year I bought, 2009 or so, are still in their plastic wrappers. Useful maybe to research reviews of new vans that may be bought secondhand a few years later.

A member of both clubs, I find the CC and C&CC mags can be read in the ten minutes it takes for my coffee and toast in the morning.

I only get the C&CC magazine these days.. that is a waste of space.. OK if you want to go to a district meet, which we have (not recommended with a RV and car trailer)... but the information in the magazine has little to do with motor homes.. OK if you want to know about a tent. Still think the internet is better.

Bob

OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
While there are many motorhome users who prefer to not use campsites or prefer CL/CS type sites there is still a large proportion of users who do use main sites. The problem is from a magazine editors point of view trying to make (and then keep) everybody happy. Some people prefer a mag biased towards the techy aspects, some prefer write ups of other people's touring holidays and routes some prefer to read about the more user oriented aspects of motorhome ownership. FWIW I think both MMM and PMH get the balance about right overall. I'm never likely to follow any of the "getaway" features that usually start PMH off but I do find many of them interesting reading.

Each to their own, D.

I take your points Dave, and as you say, each to their own. What prompted my post, however, was the belief that (if other motorhomers feel as I do) then MMM and PMH aren't getting the balance about right overall, and it would be in everyone's interest, including the editors, to raise the issue.

Perhaps what I should have done (and maybe I will) is post a poll to see if there is a majority view one way or the other.

Watch this space.....:Smile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I used to buy the (three at the time) monthly magazines when we first had a van but then found I wasn't getting enough out of them. In my case the articles about foreign travel were of no interest, just shows we are all different :Smile:

We still get the CC and C&CC magazines (plus Waggoners Talk) which I find of general interest.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I used to read MMM but after a few years it just seemed to be repeating the same old stuff. The letters pages were interesting but not enough to justify the cost.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Must admit cancelled subscriptions to all mags, as did not feel was getting anything useful from them any more, and had read it all before, don't like paying for advertisements that I have seen time and time again, and don't want the products anyway.

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Have been buying them for years and for years I've been almost subscribing but just couldn't bring myself to. It was always the last copy I was going to buy but I still seem to pick one up most months.

I don't think I've ever read any of the site reviews.
I don't think I've ever read that long table of new makes and models in the back.
I don't think Iv'e ever read any of the adverts.

I do skim through the small ads at the back.
I do like a couple of the travel contributors (Fag Ash and Co.)
I do like the 'van reviews (although increasingly wonder why some £50K 'vans are described as "good value for money entry level models" and other £50K 'vans are "high quality luxury models" when they both look more or less the same and have the same number of berths - I did think that maybe some manufacturers were better for the same money but now I think it just depends on the person doing the review)

Overall I think I'll probably give them up. Soon. :Smile:

Deleted User
I take MMM magazine each month, gives me about a morning read and I generally find it interesting. What I don,t like and it seems to be getting worse is page after page of food and recipies. If I want recipies I,ll get a cookbook.

spongy

spudandpatricia

Free Member
Oct 3, 2008
Wigan, Lancs, England
Funster No
MH
Lowprofile
Exp
Gave up MMM, to many ads and not enough nitty Gritty stuff

Decided to stop buying MMM in protest at the way the magazine has gone, too much advertising, not enough real content, tips, ideas, knowledge etc.

poppys

Free Member
May 8, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1974 on and off
I gave up buying magazines on my hobbies on a regular bases as in most cases there was less and less to interest me, as I gained some knowledge .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back