Free Member
Nov 7, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
VW Grand California
Exp
Since 2020
Thanks all, I have some large jubilee clips, so I‘ll leave the one in place and add another closer up the collar.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
And be wondering why the heater is not working as well as it might because it's partially blocked with the crap from the barsleaks or other rad seal product. If you value your vehicle at all don't put that stuff in your rad and yes I speak from experience.
It's been in my car radiator for the last five years since a found a hole in the radiator core.... No effect on the heater whatsoever.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
DDuffs BEFORE you go the expense of removing the engine and going on a wild goose chase spend some time finding the ALDE heat exchanger and tracing the pipe work as I had EXACTLY the same problem with my previous Dethleffs motorhome that your having.

Over a period of time I would notice the coolant level had gone down slightly and it was a leek from the engine side of the heat exchanger. Below are a few pictures:

73482BD8-8C0A-404F-84FE-92CBA6314959.jpeg

C4BCEA40-4A4C-4C1B-B1CD-D9631981FA97.jpeg

24240925-3545-4BF4-AE39-CA60490523D4.jpeg

OP
OP
T

TOAD on Tour

Free Member
Nov 7, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
VW Grand California
Exp
Since 2020
DDuffs BEFORE you go the expense of removing the engine and going on a wild goose chase spend some time finding the ALDE heat exchanger and tracing the pipe work as I had EXACTLY the same problem with my previous Dethleffs motorhome that your having.

Over a period of time I would notice the coolant level had gone down slightly and it was a leek from the engine side of the heat exchanger. Below are a few pictures:

View attachment 502524
View attachment 502525
View attachment 502526
Many thanks for the really useful guidance. At the moment I have my fingers crossed that it was the jubilee clip that needed a half turn to nip it tight. So far nothing seems to be leaking. If it does it’s back to the drawing board and I’ll definitely start with the heat exchanger pipes. Although the dealer is covering any works with engine etc. I would prefer to not have it done if it’s not required! Thanks again, great info 👍

OP
OP
T

TOAD on Tour

Free Member
Nov 7, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
VW Grand California
Exp
Since 2020
Firstly, many thanks for all the suggestion, guidance and even songs (you know who you are! 😉)....so far after giving the jubilee clip in my earlier photo a half turn nothing seems to be leaking, although I’m far from convinced.....I’ve placed some clean cardboard under the engine, but as it’s going to rain (along with thunder and lightning) later, it may scupper my test...but as long as the pipe around the jubilee clip is dry, I’ll be happy......

OP
OP
T

TOAD on Tour

Free Member
Nov 7, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
VW Grand California
Exp
Since 2020
Good morning all...I’ve just gone out and had a good look and no drips and the area around the jubilee clip/pipe is dry....so a quick question, should I now take it for a spin (at 8.5m long it’s more of a military manoeuvre) or do you think if it was leaking it still should leak now regardless of it getting warm and cooling down again, remembering it was taking a day for the leak to show after the van was last driven? Many thanks as always. 👍

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I hope you have deep pockets.
Removing the engine from below will be a long and labour intensive job and it won't come out of the top through the letterbox slit they laughingly call a bonnet. .
Personally, I would stick a couple of radleak type sealers in the radiator and see if that helped for such a minor leak.
Nothing to lose for the sake of a few quid.
The garage I use said it’s quicker to remove the engine to replace the pipe at the back of the engine than do it from on top in an a class have seen mine with the front 5 feet in the air

Feb 14, 2018
Funster No
Looks to me that the jubilee clip has been fitted above the original spring type hose clip and is not compressing the hose to the pipe bellow.

OP
OP
T

TOAD on Tour

Free Member
Nov 7, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
VW Grand California
Exp
Since 2020
So far so good, had it running for 50 mins on my drive from 11am today and everything is holding out.....proof in the pudding will be if it remains the same through tomorrow. We are driving to Woolacombe on Friday for the weekend which is approximately 100 miles, so that will also give it a good test!

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
So far so good, had it running for 50 mins on my drive from 11am today and everything is holding out.....proof in the pudding will be if it remains the same through tomorrow. We are driving to Woolacombe on Friday for the weekend which is approximately 100 miles, so that will also give it a good test!
50 minutes on tickover? Ooops I thought,that won’t do her any good,you might bugger up your exhaust filter thingy and end up in limp mode (oooh missus). Suggest give it a good thrashing on the way i.e.hold in low gear and high revs for a while while after she’s warmed up.

Apr 28, 2021
Fareham, UK
Funster No
MH
Now sold
Exp
Since 2015
50 minutes on tickover? Ooops I thought,that won’t do her any good,you might bugger up your exhaust filter thingy and end up in limp mode (oooh missus). Suggest give it a good thrashing on the way i.e.hold in low gear and high revs for a while while after she’s warmed up.
An Italian tune up!

Years ago on the motorway an engineer friend of mine was walking along the hard shoulder of the M27, having just passed his car I wasn’t surprised to see him. I stopped to give him a lift and my car full of engineer types asked if we could help. He replied that he thought not as when he lifted the bonnet he saw the con rod poking through the block.

My last experience of an Italian tune up :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

A good run at a reasonable speed will be fine (y)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Definitely not water from the air con, this leak is taking +24hrs to appear on my drive, which I am finding quite bizarre.....
When the vehicle is in use a tiny leak will evaporate due to engine heat. When you park up the engine starts to cool and the cooling system draws in air through the breather built into the rad cap. The slight depression within the cooling system prevents a leak until it is almost cold and internal / external pressures are equal. Then you'll see the leak.

OP
OP
T

TOAD on Tour

Free Member
Nov 7, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
VW Grand California
Exp
Since 2020
When the vehicle is in use a tiny leak will evaporate due to engine heat. When you park up the engine starts to cool and the cooling system draws in air through the breather built into the rad cap. The slight depression within the cooling system prevents a leak until it is almost cold and internal / external pressures are equal. Then you'll see the leak.
Thanks Tony, that makes perfect sense 👍. I’m crossing my figures that nipping the jubilee clip has resolved it....time will tell, it’s now 18hrs since I had the engine ticking over for 50 minutes......🤞🤞

Aug 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E442
Hi, the Coolant level seems to be dropping ever so slightly, but not enough that I’m 100% sure.....
You need a block test done this is simple a device with a hand pump on it that you fit on the top of your coolant reservoir ,and you fill will a blue fluid ,run the engine while lumping air into the coolant ,if the blue fluid turns green or yellow it's head gasket issue.. ps check the cap on the reservoir they are known to fail, a new one is about 7 quid on ebay

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back