Motorhome Level Mate (1 Viewer)

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I’ve got one of these I’ve stuck on the floor near driver, I levelled the van and then set this to show the same.
A9A3C47A-6795-4E92-A63A-779BFD6CE469.jpeg

OP
OP
PaulandChrissy
Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
I’m working on the same basis, and it will be visible from the drivers seat where you need it.

OP
OP
PaulandChrissy
Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
This is my first prototype that still needs some work. It will have a lockable gimbal that can be set to your particular level. Mounting the gimbal body will be achieved by using different mount adapters which you will be able to chose. ie. on the door armrest, beside the seat or anywhere that you want really. The only thing that will need a decision is where you want to mount it. I then make a little modular mount for your chosen position. My priority is for you to see If your vans level as you drive onto your pitch or park up.

Attachments

• D9724F58-D201-4FD8-8D64-1DAD8C07AA92.jpeg
    D9724F58-D201-4FD8-8D64-1DAD8C07AA92.jpeg
    255.2 KB · Views: 89
Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
I have levellers but would still be interested. Not to make sure the van is exactly level but to be able to set the van slightly slanted so that the shower drain was at the lowest point.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have levellers but would still be interested. Not to make sure the van is exactly level but to be able to set the van slightly slanted so that the shower drain was at the lowest point.
Shower should drain with the van level, bad design it it doesn't.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I don't see the point my own senses tell me if the if level, stand up if it feels level it is level. :giggle:
Not to take anything away from the op as it looks as if it might be a useful bit of kit if your level is that critical, but can't see how it would benefit us as we just park any road, as long as the wine glass stays on the table we are level enough.

OP
OP
PaulandChrissy
Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
I don't see the point my own senses tell me if the if level, stand up if it feels level it is level. :giggle:
A friend of mine has to be so level it’s beyond belief. We all have our own ways of doing the same thing. Some people are fine with a 10deg slope, and some feel sea sick if its off by 1deg. 🤪

Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
Lenny HB
Lenny, I agree. I think the original AL-KO settings may have moved. I quite like the look of the OP’s tool. I have a spirit level but it is not two dimensional. I will try the apps mentioned but would still be interested.
One point the OP mentioned was that it would help make a initial check when deciding where and how to park on the pitch (if allowed). This is important as I have often smugly activated the levellers to then find the entrance door is two foot off the ground!

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Apps? Technology looking for a use. :rolleyes:

When I first got the m/h I levelled it (fore and aft and athwartships) with a spirit level on the table. I then found a suitable spot where it read the same when seated in the driving position. I found one on the floor right beside me.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
transparent container, sealed with water in. place on any chosen surface and level van once, then draw a line in permanent marker on the container marking water level around. in future you just need to adjust van to match water and mark

OP
OP
PaulandChrissy
Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
Should have the design perfected in a few days. Then just have to wait for some more bubbles and grub screws to come to complete the project. Takes about 4hours to 3D print each completed unit. Will put in the classified when I’m happy with how it works. Thanks for the input everyone.
Cheers Paul and Chrissy.

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
We had something similar bought for us as a gift once. It provided level with spirit level and also incorporated a compass to align the awning and Astra satellite. About 3”x2”.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I do wish our shower had two drain holes, to drain easily we need to be nose up with a list towards the passenger side. I suppose I need a spirit “unlevel”. It was just the same in our previous van.

Nov 10, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Started in 2013
Sounds like a great idea, we have always used the wine bottle trick, wife places bottle on floor to check which way it rolls one we are level we open the bottle. To be honest leveling is a waste of time by the end of the evening we wouldn't know if we were level or not anyway ;-)

OP
OP
PaulandChrissy
Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
I do wish our shower had two drain holes, to drain easily we need to be nose up with a list towards the passenger side. I suppose I need a spirit “unlevel”. It was just the same in our previous van.
That’s what my gizmo will do. You un level your van so the shower works, or everything works to its optimum. Then set the gizmo level to the centre, lock it, and forever after you just check your bubble is in the middle when you pitchup, without leaving the drivers seat, and the shower will always drain. MAGIC. Can’t do anything about the two drain holes though. Sorry. You would think Motorhome manufacturers would have clicked by know that water doesn’t drain up hill, and two outlets are essential.

BDM

Aug 17, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2008
You can achieve this very simply with the CamperSet app ( and the Truma app I think, after having a quick look ). You set your own level, whatever you want it to be, and then it will always get you back to that point.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Before I could afford a spirit level, I just put some water (or a ball bearing) into a bowl.
Now I can let the air suspension do it for me...

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We are not too Princess and the Pea about it so our current method is fine, just can’t overcome that single drain hole!

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
I'm guessing that CamperSet is an Apple app as I can't find it on Google Play Store. However, what I did find was Camper Leveler by Eland Apps. There's a free version with ads or a "pro" version with no ads for just over a fiver.

Like CamperSet it looks like you have to calibrate it with various dimensions like wheelbase etc but once you have done that it will work on most surfaces, whether or not they are level. What alchemy is used to do this is anyone's guess but having played with it on the mousemat (and discovered it to be a bit a-kilter - the mousemat that is, not the app), I found that it also has an audible signal which I am guessing means you can stick the phone on your nearest convenient flat surface (kitchen worktop) and get Her Indoors running around out doors kicking the levelling blocks around until you hear the harmonious sound of the vehicle being levelled to your exacting standards.

I've installed it on my 'phone alongside all the other really useful apps that I am sure I will use one day but in our first season we've just done the whole levelling thing by eye and generally been happy with the result.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
If you are looking for a 3d printer project, how about an adapter for the Karcher window vac that allows you to have the blade vertical so you can suck up condensation along the lower edge of the windscreen. At tge moment I have to hold it at 90 degrees and keep an eye on how full the reservoir is.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Bubble off centre does'nt tell you which wheel to lift!:giggle:
?
An off centre bubble in one of those in post #31 can guide you to the right wheel though, right?
And that is the sort of display available in the default iPhone measure app - along with the single direction level :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back