Motorhome Level Mate (1 Viewer)

Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
Hi Everyone. I am thinking of designing a little spirit level device for levelling your van from the drivers seat without running back and forth to check the spirit level that’s an a flat surface at the back of the van. We all know level surfaces around the drivers seat are ZERO. You will be able to set the optimum position for drains, sinks and showers, lock it’s position and forever after perfect level. If enough people express an interest I can 3D print them and put it in the classifieds.

Paul and Chrissy

Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
The idea occurred to me some time ago. But I could not find a way of mounting it, without it either being in the way, or looking like a dog's dinner. If you can crack it, I would be interested.

Keith

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I use a free app called "Yescarpa level"
I simply put my iPhone on the table, and it will tell me to within 1 degree if the van is level, and if not which wheels need ramping up.

I have found in my van that if the table is level, then the rest of the van is where it should be regarding drainage etc.

Like most vans, mine is nose heavy, so I always try to park slightly up hill

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
I simply put my iPhone on the table, and it will tell me to within 1 degree if the van is level, and if not which wheels need ramping up.

I have found in my van that if the table is level, then the rest of the van is where it should be regarding drainage etc.

Like most vans, mine is nose heavy, so I always try to park slightly up hill
That's ok as long as you can see the table from the drivers seat.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Oh! Wassup with the default iPhone one?
How much better is Yescarpa?
Asking as I'd look at improved apps ;)
Edit: screenshots added from default 'measure' app.
As a 3D level
3487F785-42F4-432B-BE63-F3C253DBCA62.png
Or as a 2d level
44CE75C6-6031-4E1B-A16E-A471479BE125.png

Last edited:

Bluemanc100

Free Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hawarden near Chester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 155
Exp
MH Novice (but a seasoned veteran driver)
Hi Everyone. I am thinking of designing a little spirit level device for levelling your van from the drivers seat without running back and forth to check the spirit level that’s an a flat surface at the back of the van. We all know level surfaces around the drivers seat are ZERO. You will be able to set the optimum position for drains, sinks and showers, lock it’s position and forever after perfect level. If enough people express an interest I can 3D print them and put it in the classifieds.

Paul and Chrissy
Yes please

Currently SWMBO sits in the back with a spirit level on the floor which does work well but can’t be done solo (obviously)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
This can be solved if you use the right app on your phone. :) On Android Bubble level (Spirit Level)
made by PixelProse SARL has a calibration button which is shown as two concentric circles on the screen.

You first park the MH so it is level then place the phone somewhere convenient where it can be seen by the driver.

Then press the calibration button and the bubble will move to the centre as if the phone is level - which it isn't but the MH is. It well remember the calibration for the next time you park.
:)

OP
OP
PaulandChrissy
Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
The winding spindle on my skylight leaks in heavy rain when level so I'm happy to be on a slope and without the worry of levelling up to the nearest degree.
So I'm out .... good luck, I'm sure lots will be interested 👍🏻
You will be able to set the van un level if things like leaking roof vents a are a problem. You will be able to pre determine your favourite level/in level position taking into account such things, and then your optimal position will be remembered. No batteries needed. 😊

OP
OP
PaulandChrissy
Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
Cannot believe no one is using CamperSet app.
You calibrate it to what YOU want to be level. Input wheelbase dimensions and it tells you which wheel needs to raise and by how much, with a great GUI.
With all these apps, do you need to place the phone on a flat surface.

BDM

Aug 17, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2008
So effectively I guess you are suggesting an analogue version of CamperSet, or am I not understanding correctly?
And of course there are plenty that do not want a digital alternative.

OP
OP
PaulandChrissy
Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
So effectively I guess you are suggesting an analogue version of CamperSet, or am I not understanding correctly?
And of course there are plenty that do not want a digital alternative.
Yes. Old fashioned manual. No electronics.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back