Motorhome internal dead locks (1 Viewer)

Apr 7, 2018
Funster No
I've been pondering the security issues since owning a motorhome recently and still feel there is a severe lack of security devices available to ensure the vehicle is locked from the inside. It would also help when leaving it as the remaining doors could be locked internally, leaving just one exit door to be locked externally. So what's available with regards to deadlocks for ducatos and the like, cheers Trinity =~,~=

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
The trouble with motorhomes is that they're built to save weight & therefor security is an issue, its very difficult to add strength when building them.
Adding decent locks discourages the casual thief but, the determined thief will just damage more of the vehicle to gain entry.
Sad but true.

Try browsing ebay or the Milenco websites for some ideas.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I fitted a deadlock from motorhomelocks.co.uk to the driver’s door as I felt that the original one was open to attack, the Hartal door seems to be a very substantial item but I am considering installing one there as well.

Visible deterrents are important in my view and my vehicle has flashing LEDs on front, side and rear, theory being that the thief will look for an easier target.

The rest of the security comprises a Strikeback alarm and Milenco window alarms.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
dead locking the doors when you go to bed has huge safety risks in case of a fire etc. much prefer a simple sliding bolt to secure the doors. remember the weakest point is the plastic windows

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
dead locking the doors when you go to bed has huge safety risks in case of a fire etc. much prefer a simple slidinu bolt to secure the doors. remember the weakest point is the plastic windows

Hi John the kit I’ve shown locks the cab doors and the other locks are used when leaving the van, for our habitation door I use this simple method and easier than a bolt.

F886A732-0B07-4D46-A7EC-9957011E3EDF.jpeg

John

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Hi John the kit I’ve shown locks the cab doors and the other locks are used when leaving the van, for our habitation door I use this simple method and easier than a bolt.

View attachment 277467

John
with personal safety, simple solutions often work best. Good idea John

OP
OP
Miss Trinity
Apr 7, 2018
Funster No
pretty honest advise all round, it all depends on perspective, vehicle, and risk awareness. I have done a fair bit so just need to review a few of ya suggestions. Many thanks, Trinity =~,~=

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
If you do a search for Dead locks for Hymer. There is a good few pictures of some ideas.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
dead locking the doors when you go to bed has huge safety risks in case of a fire etc. much prefer a simple sliding bolt to secure the doors. remember the weakest point is the plastic windows
My deadlock is arranged in such a way that I can unlock it internally with a modified radiator key. I’ll try and find a photo to illustrate the setup.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Can undue Heosafe locks with just the turn of the knob when sleeping in the van.They can of course be locked with a key when you leave the van unattended,,think they are brilliant. BUSBY.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Can undue Heosafe locks with just the turn of the knob when sleeping in the van.They can of course be locked with a key when you leave the van unattended,,think they are brilliant. BUSBY.

So now you have to worry about trying to find 2 different locks in a dark smoke filled vehicle ?
Any additional security is only fooling the owners in my opinion and manufacturers have to build vehicles so the door opens with just a single operation for obvious safety reasons.
I would rather lose my possessions than risk not being able to get out quickly.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
So now you have to worry about trying to find 2 different locks in a dark smoke filled vehicle ?
Any additional security is only fooling the owners in my opinion and manufacturers have to build vehicles so the door opens with just a single operation for obvious safety reasons.
I would rather lose my possessions than risk not being able to get out quickly.
No problem finding Heosafe knob in the dark but on my van that would not be the emergency exit. I have side sliding door that just locks on the opening handle..No need for extra security on it because for an intruder to enter the van through that door they would have to get in bed with me..I have a Heosafe lock fitted externally on that door for when we leave the van unattended..It is virtually impossible to thief proof anything but the more difficult you make it the less chance of theft. Mind you there is nothing of any value in the van but i suppose its the inconvenience of a break in.BUSBY

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
I have fitted deadlocks to front/side doors and hasp/staple to inside rear.In an emergency we have large side openers that I would bail out of .

Paul1958

Free Member
Feb 25, 2018
Tavira, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Paul Harrison from motorhomelocks.co.uk fitted me two deadlocks the other week at his house in Pershore. Lovely job. Very pleased. Not cheap but good.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back