Motorhome insurance will end when im abroad (1 Viewer)

Jun 5, 2015
westyorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Hi guys, my motorhome insurance is due 01/06/17 and I'm with caravan guard, but I will be in spain on that date and also want to change my insurance company to include breakdown cover. Whats the best way to go about this, your help is much appreciated

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
For my scooter i could not get quotes more than 30 days in advance. I rang up 2 weeks before, from spain, and paid by card on the phone. If you know who you want to go with might be easier if they will take all your details before you travel. You may need to provide proof of ncd, possibly from renewal notice if changing insurers.

OP
OP
winky
Jun 5, 2015
westyorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks for your reply. So probably my best option is to give them a ring couple of weeks before it runs out, thinking of going with safeguard has ive herd on here that there good and also do European breakdown

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
All depends what they charge you for their breakdown cover . I would have ring round before you go regards breakdown cover

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Combining insurance and breakdown cover may not be the cheaper than individual policies. Suggest you use a comparison site now to give you an indication of potential costs. You can then, perhaps, limit the options at renewal time?

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
When I changed insurer I had been away from home for a couple of months so didn't have the Renewal Invitation letter showing my NCD. I was also without internet access but my new insurer happily contacted the previous one and obtained confirmation of my NCD.
My Europe-wide breakdown cover for all my vehicles (m/home, two cars, two motorbikes) is through my Nationwide Flexplus current account for a cost of just £10 a month (£10 a month debited monthly from my account for all 5 vehicles, not £10 for each one (y)). It also covers any vehicle in which I'm a passenger, even if it's not my vehicle.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Combining insurance and breakdown cover may not be the cheaper than individual policies. Suggest you use a comparison site now to give you an indication of potential costs. You can then, perhaps, limit the options at renewal time?

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
I use green flag at the moment for the full European and home recovery and for an extra £7 it covers any vehicle I am driving .At the moment I cannot find my invoice but it was round the £107 mark

OP
OP
winky
Jun 5, 2015
westyorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
I've sorted 12 months European breakdown cover with driver guardian for £85, my insurance is with caravan guard which is nearly £700 but it included new for old for 2 years, but motorhome is 2 in June so hopefully find some cheaper.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Probably be less than half that with Comfort including breakdown cover.
With Motorhomes always find it best to phone the company, what's to stop you phoning around when away, calls from abroad on a mobile cost naff all these days.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
After doing it myself and using comparison sites for probably 7 or 8 years for all my insurance including the van 2 years ago I went back to using a broker. Never been cheaper and the last 2 years renewed from abroad by email changed company (broker found a cheaper one). One call to pay by CC simples.

Dick

OP
OP
winky
Jun 5, 2015
westyorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Lenny hb I'm gonna give comfort a call there name keeps popping up on the forums.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
@winky

I've just had a quote from Caravanguard for our 'van as they were able to quote me even though our Insurance doesn't need renewing for nearly three months and the current one finishes two days after we return from holiday.
For your, (and any one elses info) their quote lasts for 90 days and I found out , in the course of our conversation that they were going to charge £46 for Euro cover, the brief details were that it was covered by AXA, no limit on weight height length etc and in addition the Insurance itself included Europe and the cover was for an aggregate of 9mths out of the country in the 12 mths of Insurance. Also included was legal cover and a load of other 'stuff'.

I am now waiting for the Insurance Co's who quote for 60 days before commencement date and then I'll ring the rest when on Holiday.
Good Luck.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
When I changed insurer I had been away from home for a couple of months so didn't have the Renewal Invitation letter showing my NCD. I was also without internet access but my new insurer happily contacted the previous one and obtained confirmation of my NCD.
My Europe-wide breakdown cover for all my vehicles (m/home, two cars, two motorbikes) is through my Nationwide Flexplus current account for a cost of just £10 a month (£10 a month debited monthly from my account for all 5 vehicles, not £10 for each one (y)). It also covers any vehicle in which I'm a passenger, even if it's not my vehicle.
And don't forget your worldwide travel insurance is included, for both people if a joint account

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Hi guys, my motorhome insurance is due 01/06/17 and I'm with caravan guard, but I will be in spain on that date and also want to change my insurance company to include breakdown cover. Whats the best way to go about this, your help is much appreciated
How will you get the green card if changing co's? Only way would be to get them to email it then get some green A4 sheet & get it printed out using that.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004

Are you sure about the breakdown cover with Nationwide Flexplus? I'm sure when I read through the terms and conditions before signing up that it only covers 2 vehicles. Worth checking the T&Cs again.

Denise

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Are you sure about the breakdown cover with Nationwide Flexplus? I'm sure when I read through the terms and conditions before signing up that it only covers 2 vehicles. Worth checking the T&Cs again.
Denise

Yep, positive. I checked the T&C's very carefully and with my local branch in person. Any vehicle in which I'm travelling is included whether it's mine or not (max vehicle length 7m.). They do not require any vehicle details; make or reg'n number etc., so obviously it can't be limited to two vehicles as they don't (want to) know how many I have. As they said, I can only be in one vehicle at a time.

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
How will you get the green card if changing co's? Only way would be to get them to email it then get some green A4 sheet & get it printed out using that.
dont need green card for eu countries thats been done away with . yes spanish ,french etc still give them out . mind even morocco you dont need a green card as such . just the right letter of explanation for them . some uk insurers will cover morocco but dont give what we know as a green card .

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
dont need green card for eu countries thats been done away with . yes spanish ,french etc still give them out . mind even morocco you dont need a green card as such . just the right letter of explanation for them . some uk insurers will cover morocco but dont give what we know as a green card .

I know that & you know that(y) but unfortunately the guardia & gendarmes have a bit of trouble in some cases.:D2
Other problem with having Spanish insurance is that the first certificate when you take out insurance is the only one you actually get.:( Inside Spain the payment renewal from the bank ( only way for automatic renewal which is compulsory) is the only thing that shows you are insured to anyone who doesn't have access to the Trafico system. Therefore an A4 green sheet is the easiest way to go for out of Spain.

Oct 5, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
firebrand campervan
Exp
we also use flexplus account nationwide and have checked details, also gives you mobile phone insurence

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
I am with comfort on their horizon plus policy which includes EU as standard, my renewal is due in 6 weeks rang to chase and was told subject to no changes/claims the only increase I should expect is the IPT increase. Was happy what I paid last year so no reason to change. checked caravan guard and wanted 25% more than I paid last year.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back