Motorhome insurance time again (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've been riding the insurance 'merry-go-round' today, ringing companies and doing on-line quotes to see what it's gonna cost for us as our policy renewal is due towards the end of April. Some websites come back with ridiculous quotes, with excessive excesses, others don't quote at all due to the value of our MH (approx £95,000).

Our current insurer, Comfort, gave me 2 prices which include legal protection and unlimited windscreen cover with £200 excess:

10,000 miles = £494​
6,000 miles = £397​

A-Plan rang me on the back of an on-line quote via Asda and I went through it on the phone (they don't give online quotes), it took a while but he was a nice young chap and knew his stuff which was good ... he loves Carthagos apparently! He gave me the following quotes including legal protection and unlimited windscreen but with £400 excess:

5,000 miles = £335​
6,000 miles = £368​

We're probably going to stick with Comfort as they are a 'known' entity with a good reputation although I'll see if I can get them down a bit but though others might find this info interesting.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Try Advance Insurance Agencies. Nice people and very knowledgeable about mohos.
Underwritten by Ageas, they came out cheapest for me.
They went to the trouble of explaining everything in detail too. I didn't realise that a lot of the companies doing cheap quotes on comparison sites don't always cover windscreens. A big cost in a moho!

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Try Advance Insurance Agencies. Nice people and very knowledgeable about mohos.
Underwritten by Ageas, they came out cheapest for me.
They went to the trouble of explaining everything in detail too. I didn't realise that a lot of the companies doing cheap quotes on comparison sites don't always cover windscreens. A big cost in a moho!
They do include 'normal' windscreens but when it comes to A-class ones you have to pay careful attention to what value is included as some have upper limits which won't cover the cost which can be very expensive to replace in some MHs.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
They do include 'normal' windscreens but when it comes to A-class ones you have to pay careful attention to what value is included as some have upper limits which won't cover the cost which can be very expensive to replace in some MHs.
Nope some don't include windscreens at all!

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Try caravan guard. I insured mine for just UK travel with UK breakdown. I can add eu travel at a later date for the same cost with £15 admin fee. It was a lot cheaper than my Safeguard renewal.

SteveJ

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 30, 2018
March, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 620
Exp
Since 2013
If you do decide to go via A-Plan ask them to confirm if the policy includes NCD. I can't remember of the top of my head who the underwriters were but we had our MH insured through A-Plan for a couple of years. When we changed insurers the year before last thanks to an intercompany deal from Saga with my Wife's employers (50% discount on all Saga insurance thank you very much) we discovered that the underwriter did not issue NCD.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
I have been using Adrian Flux for a few vehicles now. Once management retired her NHS discount stopped putting the price of insurance for her Polo into silly prices with LV. Adrian Flux matched her discount price.
I started using them when I had a mildly modified Landrover, newer engine fitted. They were happy to insure it at no extra cost.
I havnt had to make a claim as yet but they are easy to communicate with so I will stick with them unless there prices increase dramatically next renewal time.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Were those quotes with breakdown cover included Minsky
No as we don't need it due to our MH coming with Fiat's own for 2 years.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I could have taken off the UK breakdown cover as well with Safeguard, if that helps. (y)
Are you sure? Safeguard usually include it as standard so you can't 'delete' it.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Are you sure? Safeguard usually include it as standard so you can't 'delete' it.
Sorry I meant caravan guard, I was with Safeguard and switched due to a big hike in price, with no claims.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Sorry I meant caravan guard, I was with Safeguard and switched due to a big hike in price, with no claims.
That's why last time we switched from Safeguard who'd we'd been with for a long time, even though their policy included the breakdown cover it was still cheaper than elsewhere but they changed their underwriter and the price skyrocketed.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Our existing insurers woudn't insure the Laika, did a fair bit of phoning round, well John did. Best was CMC you don't have to be a member but have a feeling prices are better if you are. They don't include European cover though but were still best option takinginto consideration the cost of separate cover for the travel, fortunately we didn't take that out as a few days later all non essential travel was stopped.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Another vote for Adrian Flux - always been very helpful, with good quotes

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
A lot of COUK (Carthago Owners UK) members seem to use NFU. Some regional offices are more keen to attract MH insurance than others.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
No as we don't need it due to our MH coming with Fiat's own for 2 years.

is yours a new (ish) motorhome registered in the uk, if so you'll be pleased to know that its covered for 3 years Fiat Assist. I purchased a new Comanche in Sept 2018 and my dealer thought it was 2 years until i read the Fiat book that came with it, and its 3 according to that if registered in the uk and 2 years for the rest of Europe

cheers

Al

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Minxy Girl
Have you tried AIB Southampton. Same underlying Aviva policy as comfort but price may be different.
Mine came out cheaper with AIB.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
is yours a new (ish) motorhome registered in the uk, if so you'll be pleased to know that its covered for 3 years Fiat Assist. I purchased a new Comanche in Sept 2018 and my dealer thought it was 2 years until i read the Fiat book that came with it, and its 3 according to that if registered in the uk and 2 years for the rest of Europe

cheers

Al
As the Comanche is a UK built MH I believe the warranty is in relation to the base vehicle as it was delivered to the converter. As ours was built abroad AFAIK it doesn't have the same benefit, but I shall certainly double check.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Our Pilote definitely wasn't built in the UK, and yes, 3 years but Hayes registered it with Fiat for us as part of their service - otherwise you have to do it yourself which we discovered purely by accident when talking to FIAT at the NEC regarding 'Juddergate' after we bought the Bessacar.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
al briscoe sedge ... ignore my earlier post I was mixing up the warranty for our MH with Fiat assist, it's the warranty that's 2 years, Fiat assist is still 3 years.

In my defence I'd been working on Excel spreadsheets all day and my brain is frazzled! ?

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
al briscoe sedge ... ignore my earlier post I was mixing up the warranty for our MH with Fiat assist, it's the warranty that's 2 years, Fiat assist is still 3 years.

In my defence I'd been working on Excel spreadsheets all day and my brain is frazzled! ?
Yes but have you got a decent quote yet?

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
I have recently renewed with comfort, as it's not looking good for lots of miles this year I saved quite a bit by reducing the mileage to 4000 for this year.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yes but have you got a decent quote yet?
Only what I put on there previously, still sorting it out.
I have recently renewed with comfort, as it's not looking good for lots of miles this year I saved quite a bit by reducing the mileage to 4000 for this year.
I was gonna ring them today to reduce our mileage down to the minimum working on the principle that if we do go away it won't be too far with Romy being as she is and then when we know we'll be going further I can ring and increase it. I got caught up in other things so will ring them tomorrow about it.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Check the handbook you may find it's 3 years for breakdown cover, warranty is only 2 years. I found out last year after I paid for breakdown cover.
Yes I know Lenny :giggle: I said this earlier:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I've just renewed the insurance today - after much discussion we decided to give A-Plan a try so 5,000 mile limit for £335. One reason is that if we decide to up the mileage they do a pro-rata premium increase for the remainder of the insurance duration rather than charge you the difference as if you still wanted it for the whole year as Comfort do.

If anyone is looking for insurance give A-Plan a ring, the lads there (Jacob and Ross) are very knowledgeable and friendly.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Just today renewed with Aviva via Comfort, as it is under 3 years old it’s a new for old policy, 6k miles UK and European b/down and recovery, cover for sat dish sat Navs, TV s . 5ton tag axle £490.00. Same as last year .
Probably could have saved a few pounds but Aviva are a proper company, just a shame nobody does a ‘Standing ‘ cover, which I can get with our HGV s . That’s with Aviva too!

Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
I've just renewed the insurance today - after much discussion we decided to give A-Plan a try so 5,000 mile limit for £335. One reason is that if we decide to up the mileage they do a pro-rata premium increase for the remainder of the insurance duration rather than charge you the difference as if you still wanted it for the whole year as Comfort do.

If anyone is looking for insurance give A-Plan a ring, the lads there (Jacob and Ross) are very knowledgeable and friendly.
Did the A-Plan cover unlimited windscreen? This is a task I have to undertake today to find insurance?

We were with Advance for the last couple of years but we changed the van last year from a low profile to an A class and just amended the cover but Advance only cover screens up to £600, so we're having to look for alternatives.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back