Motorhome Insurance - Comfort info (1 Viewer)

MHdreaming

Free Member
May 19, 2014
SouthEast UK
Funster No
I believe it depends on what country it was made in, our Globecar only has 2 years for warranty and assist.
My handbook says Campers registered in the UK (not built in the UK) are entitled to 3 years of roadside assistance. It does appear some handbooks have different conditions
IMG_7605.JPG

MHdreaming

Free Member
May 19, 2014
SouthEast UK
Funster No
You have the Fiat Camper assistance handbook. Mine is the commercial vehicle warranty book because it is a UK supplied and converted PVC.

The Breakdown assistance is separate to the manufacturer's vehicle warranty. Fiat's base warranty is for 2 years. The UK dealer network provides a third year extension to the manufacturer's warranty, but only for vehicles ordered and imported through them, and registered in the UK. In practice this means on the MH side of things that it only applies to PVCs supplied by UK based converters who have ordered and collected base vehicles through the UK dealer network.

PVCs sold by Burstner, Adria and foreign converters won't have the UK 3rd year warranty as their vans are sourced from the dealer network in their own country. Almost all, if not all coachbuilt MHs, whether supplied by a UK converter or foreign, will only have the base 2 year warranty because although the MH conversion chassis or back to back cabs may have been delivered to them in the UK, my understanding is that they have to be ordered direct from Fiat in Italy and the contract being directly between the converter and the manufacturer bypasses the UK dealer network altogether from the order, importation and delivery side of things.

My PVC was ordered through a UK Fiat dealer in Reading who in turn ordered it from Fiat, imported it and delivered it to the converter in Leeds, so it has the 3 year mechanical warranty and 3 year breakdown cover. But the breakdown cover is not Camper Assistance because the vehicle as delivered by Fiat was a panel van, albeit specified with relevant conversion options.
Oh ok this would explain the different terms and conditions and does clear up the 2 and 3 year warranty.

PVC conversions built by a UK converter sourced from the UK dealer network and built/registered in the UK have a different warranty/assistance package for the 3rd year?

The 2 yr warranty+standard 3 year Fiat Camper Assist/Breakdown is valid on my van and all other UK registered Motorhomes(not just those built here) for 3 years except UK converted PVC sourced from the UK dealer network

Minxy Girl should therefore have a 2 year warranty +3rd year assistance/breakdown package since her van was not built in the UK but was registered here from a UK dealer? but was not sourced from the UK dealer network for conversion in the UK so is covered by the standard Fiat Assist package. Or are European PVC different and sourced from European dealers?

Lenny HB are you in fact entitled to 3 years Camper Assist since your van is first registered in UK? or are Fiat going to make the distinction that your van was sourced from a foreign dealer?

OMG I got a head ache!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Our MH insurance is due shortly, Safeguard gave a silly renewal price so have been looking round for another provider, Comfort have so far come in best for cover and price at £312 for up to 10,000 miles but I can't recall ever being with them.

We won't be taking out European cover as our camper has a year's Fiat Assist left which will do what we want as we don't know if we'll even 'escape' the UK this year.

We're wondering whether it's worth protecting our NCD though - we've got over 9 years but if we make a single claim it would reduce to 3 years for the next year, however the cost with Comfort to protect it is £32.50 but the reduction in benefit from 9 to 3 years is only 6%, ie £19, which seems silly as we'd only make a claim if it was for something major as our excess is £200 anyway (no effect of glass claim on NCD at all).

If we do go with them apparently we can get a 15% 'friend recommendation' discount, so long as I have a friend who'll recommend me (they also get a 15% discount on their next renewal if I take out a policy) - do I have any 'Comfort friends' out there?

Any issues / comments will be gratefully received before I commit (yes I've already looked at the reviews!).
We use Safeguard because if for some reason abroad I cannot drive home they will get it home, as my son is on my insurance , Comfort won't they said my son would have to fly over and drive it back .
Tony A

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Oh ok this would explain the different terms and conditions and does clear up the 2 and 3 year warranty.

PVC conversions built by a UK converter sourced from the UK dealer network and built/registered in the UK have a different warranty/assistance package for the 3rd year?

The 2 yr warranty+standard 3 year Fiat Camper Assist/Breakdown is valid on my van and all other UK registered Motorhomes(not just those built here) for 3 years except UK converted PVC sourced from the UK dealer network

Minxy Girl should therefore have a 2 year warranty +3rd year assistance/breakdown package since her van was not built in the UK but was registered here from a UK dealer? but was not sourced from the UK dealer network for conversion in the UK so is covered by the standard Fiat Assist package. Or are European PVC different and sourced from European dealers?

Lenny HB are you in fact entitled to 3 years Camper Assist since your van is first registered in UK? or are Fiat going to make the distinction that your van was sourced from a foreign dealer?

OMG I got a head ache!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I shall have to dig my handbook out and have another read to see if I have 2 or 3 years' assist, its been a while since I checked and since we are up to our eye balls in sorting stuff at home I haven't been overly concerned as I doubt we'll get away abroad this year.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
My handbook says Campers registered in the UK (not built in the UK) are entitled to 3 years of roadside assistance. It does appear some handbooks have different conditions
View attachment 309359
Bu**er just checked my book, warranty 2 years but Camper assist has that statement, didn't have it for the last 2 vans.
I renewed with comfort in April and paid the £62 for breakdown cover.:crying1:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Slightly different on my Citroen base... note at the back of handbook saying the standard 2 year warranty is extended to three for UK registered Van's, but doesn't include Citroen Assistance.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back