Motorhome insurance ... can it be this cheap? Really???? (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Our MH insurance is due at the end of the month so in anticipation of receiving our renewal letter soon I've been looking at quotes

I've been doing quotes with the following requirements:
  • 180 days EU/Europe travel pa (no maximum length of each stay given)
  • 5000 miles (only as a comparison, may be more than this but haven't decided yet and mirrors what we have now)
  • Protected NCD
  • Legal cover
  • Unlimited windscreen/glass cover
  • Excess max of £400
I haven't included breakdown as we still have Fiat's until October 2021 and will take out a stand alone policy then (unless it doesn't cost much more now).

I've done a few quotes and came up with what appears to be a stonking one with Asda Money for a company called Lifesure underwritten by Ageas (same as C&MC) which is coming in at £263 pa which seems cheap but the cover is as good as the others and the underwriter is well known so I wonder if it's just that they are doing it to get the business due to the boom in MH ownership.

Can someone of you please do a quote with Asda and see if you get a similar stonking price to see if it's just a 'glitch' in the system giving me a silly quote or if it is really that good.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
I'm with AIB, virtually the same cover as you state, and mines a bit cheaper than asda! £255 for the globecar.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I know others will have paid less for their own vehicles as mine is an expensive Carthago (insurance value £95,000) so I just want to get a feel for how good/bad an Asda quote is for others in comparison to their usual price, so c'mon get doing some Asda quotes! :giggle:

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I’ve just done a quick quote and it does appear cheap although I couldn’t see any option for windscreen cover and it didn’t mention it in the final quotes. £149 ours came out at with Adrian Flux, normally over £300 with AIB

Ours is due soon so will explore further

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I’ve just done a quick quote and it does appear cheap although I couldn’t see any option for windscreen cover and it didn’t mention it in the final quotes. £149 ours came out at with Adrian Flux, normally over £300 with AIB

Ours is due soon so will explore further
It says:

What's covered:
Repair or replacement of the windscreen or windowglass in the motorhome.​
Are there any restrictions on cover?
There is a limit to windscreen cover if Ageas Glasslineis not used.​

So it would seem it is unlimited (obviously I'd check first) but s this is the same underwriter as the CMC it may simply be the same terms other than the duration of trips abroad, info attached.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• 6487142b-262b-4b04-bb25-f0f85794c3a6-Ipid.pdf
    148.7 KB · Views: 26

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Mines due towards the end of the month.
Gave me 4 options cheap one at 273 didn’t include use abroad next with breakdown cover at 75 was 396 but with high excess and no info on windscreen cover £35 less than what I'm paying from Comfort but with much higher excess & a company I've never hear of so wouldn't change to them, also Adrian Flux over 600.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
It says:

What's covered:
Repair or replacement of the windscreen or windowglass in the motorhome.​
Are there any restrictions on cover?
There is a limit to windscreen cover if Ageas Glasslineis not used.​

So it would seem it is unlimited (obviously I'd check first) but s this is the same underwriter as the CMC it may simply be the same terms other than the duration of trips abroad, info attached.
It gives a number to ring for Adrian Flux and all the other quotes, alongside reference numbers for the quote so will look into it. Breakdown £95 extra it said but need to check weight etc as we are only 6.48 metres but 4900kg.
If it works out it is roughly £150 cheaper than last year with breakdown.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Did it on Chic c line value £80,000 9 years NCB 60 years old no convictions £420 Same price as quote from SAGA (which we want for Morocco as it includes free Green card

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Plus there’s the postcode lottery to consider. Our insurance is fully loaded unfortunately.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I am with Ageas via Advance Insurance and paid £198 (without legal cover as that is included with my RAC Arrival)
Ageas via Advance for us too. Think we pay just slightly more than you Janine, but not a lot. And we've got 6 months continental travel. Also includes up to 6 months storage in Spain - which of course we haven't used this year. :(

We also use RAC / Arrival via C&CC for breakdown on any vehicle. (y)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Our MH insurance is due at the end of the month so in anticipation of receiving our renewal letter soon I've been looking at quotes

I've been doing quotes with the following requirements:
  • 180 days EU/Europe travel pa (no maximum length of each stay given)
  • 5000 miles (only as a comparison, may be more than this but haven't decided yet and mirrors what we have now)
  • Protected NCD
  • Legal cover
  • Unlimited windscreen/glass cover
  • Excess max of £400
I haven't included breakdown as we still have Fiat's until October 2021 and will take out a stand alone policy then (unless it doesn't cost much more now).

I've done a few quotes and came up with what appears to be a stonking one with Asda Money for a company called Lifesure underwritten by Ageas (same as C&MC) which is coming in at £263 pa which seems cheap but the cover is as good as the others and the underwriter is well known so I wonder if it's just that they are doing it to get the business due to the boom in MH ownership.

Can someone of you please do a quote with Asda and see if you get a similar stonking price to see if it's just a 'glitch' in the system giving me a silly quote or if it is really that good.

Yeah mines about that with nfu.

Phileas Fogg

Free Member
Apr 27, 2014
west of the tamar
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Saga £178, could have done it for £149 but never heard of the company. Saga have given excellent service. Vehicle coachbuilt value £45,000

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
If Ageas Glassline is using National Windscreens as sole contractor (googly says so) you should take a glance at some reviews

National Windscreens is Autoglass, all those reviews were for cars it's a different division that does commercials.
I was pleased with them when they did my A Class screen.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
National Windscreens is Autoglass, all those reviews were for cars it's a different division that does commercials.
I was pleased with them when they did my A Class screen.
Nfu did my windscreen in Germany, just a phone call and they arranged it all, kept phoneing me till it was done, and no increase in premium.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Nfu did my windscreen in Germany, just a phone call and they arranged it all, kept phoneing me till it was done, and no increase in premium.
I am with NFU for my car have to say they are a bit more expensive but the service is second to none if you have a claim. Brilliant service, they were super expensive though for the van

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Saga £178, could have done it for £149 but never heard of the company. Saga have given excellent service. Vehicle coachbuilt value £45,000
The problem with Saga is they regularly change underwriters and at each policy renewal you have to read the small print very carefully.
We got caught out with their house insurance, after renewal I found out we weren't cover for what we thought we were. For the same cover they wanted twice the premium, it was 3 months into the policy, they did give me a full refund.

Also had the car with them, had a small prang, they handled the claim brilliantly but at renewal they wanted nearly 3 times the previous premium other insurers were the same as the previous year.

Not a company I would insure with again.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Insurers don't normally take notice of windscreen claims because they are just one of those things that happen without any fault on the vehicle owner, eg a stone thrown up from the road, a bird hitting it hard etc.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
just done mine performance £230...pete best £243...grove and dean £254 van worth £38k 5000 miles all a lot cheaper than my camc club insurance grove and dean included breakdown for uk

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Insurers don't normally take notice of windscreen claims because they are just one of those things that happen without any fault on the vehicle owner, eg a stone thrown up from the road, a bird hitting it hard etc.
Unfortunately claims on the windscreen come under any claims in the previous years. Yes many do not take a claim for a screen as a major risk but if you unfortunately have a run of bad luck over a couple of years and claim on the screen cover. As you are obliged to list claims in proceeding years you can become a higher risk.
Even more so with the large A type van screens. These are very expensive and unless you check the small print the windscreen cover section on many have a limit to what they will pay out. NFU has no limit but do insist that you declare claims. So some have to claim for a screen on their main insurance cover.
I have mentioned on a previous post with regard to our old C class we had. I was to make a claim for a screen and that would have put me on three separate claims in three years and would have pushed my insurance up for the van and the cars.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Unfortunately claims on the windscreen come under any claims in the previous years. Yes many do not take a claim for a screen as a major risk but if you unfortunately have a run of bad luck over a couple of years and claim on the screen cover. As you are obliged to list claims in proceeding years you can become a higher risk.
Even more so with the large A type van screens. These are very expensive and unless you check the small print the windscreen cover section on many have a limit to what they will pay out. NFU has no limit but do insist that you declare claims. So some have to claim for a screen on their main insurance cover.
I have mentioned on a previous post with regard to our old C class we had. I was to make a claim for a screen and that would have put me on three separate claims in three years and would have pushed my insurance up for the van and the cars.
Interesting, we had 2 claims within a year, one repair and one replacement, but we were told it had no effect on our premium at all when we came to do the insurance again, some companies aren't even interested in them although we always declared them (now over 5 years ago). Unfortunately we had a windscreen replacement recently on our car so had to make a claim (£75 excess) but hopefully that won't make any difference for the future ... I'll find out in January when it's due for renewal!

Apr 17, 2016
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
Mel give LV a call. They seem to offer very competitive quotes. Currently they are the best for me when it is due in May.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Currently sat on the phone to SAGA, having filled in the on-line quote app, at the end it asked me to call.
Now got "Nathan" at SAGA, looking into it, will post with result if I get that far, I have heard they are good with Green Cards at no cost, maybe even Morocco for those that are interested.
Might end up renewing with Comfort, they have been OK so far premium wise.
We will see, more later.
LES

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Ours is with CMC unwritten by Axa and came in at just over £200 (no breakdown).

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Waiting for SAGA to get back to as online quote was held up & directed to underwriters.
Was asked loads of questions about alarm (strikeback Growler) Meta Tracker, and additional things like steering wheel lock, Clutch Claw, and Patriot driver seat lock. Also about driveway access, hedges, walls, gates, thefts in area if known etc.
Will have to wait up 72 hours for firmed up quote, (no Charge for Green cards to Morocco, Turkey or Tunisia for those interested)
Will know more later I guess.
LES

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Mel give LV a call. They seem to offer very competitive quotes. Currently they are the best for me when it is due in May.
Currently got the toad a Hyundai i10 and three minis with them, two of them John Cooper Works @ £160 fully comp each with only 1 years NCB as ive had to give up my traders policy, a fraction of what I expected

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Currently sat on the phone to SAGA, having filled in the on-line quote app, at the end it asked me to call.
Now got "Nathan" at SAGA, looking into it, will post with result if I get that far, I have heard they are good with Green Cards at no cost, maybe even Morocco for those that are interested.
Might end up renewing with Comfort, they have been OK so far premium wise.
We will see, more later.
LES
Mine is due this month with Comfort only £8 more than last year. Not sure what to do about the mileage I dropped it to 6000 last year, if we get abroad in September & again in Feb just two trips will be 6000 to 7000 miles.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I wouldn't worry that much Lenny HB if given the chance to do 2 trips over the water in the next twelve months, then the small admin charge to amend the policy mileage is still cheaper than one night on a CMC campsite, so us FLT's always win out in the end.(y);)
Fingers crossed for this September though, the way they are saying Yes/No to the current batch of vaccine's who can tell when it will be safe over there.
LES

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back