Motorhome insulation (1 Viewer)

Oct 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
i'm a newbie
Just wondering how well modern 40k-50k motorhomes are insulated?
When I was considering a panel van conversion, the insulation was probably the single most important issue. I assumed that was because of the steel skin. Most were insulated with 50mm Celotex. Are motorhomes fitted with similar?
The motorhome body is GRP, is this correct? Is that better than steel from an insulation point of view?
Also, are the windows generally double glazed?
Finally, where do the full timers go in winter? abroad?
I'm so sorry for all the questions and if it's all been said before but i'm brand new here and this forum is HUGE!!!, gonna take months to read everything!

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
The issue with PVCs isn't thickness of insulation. In fact, this is usually quite good (i.e. 50mm). However, compared to coachbuilt models, there is way more cold bridging, because they use steel spars, rather than having sandwich construction with few interloping structural elements.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
At 40-50k I wouldn't be buying a new one. If You want proper insulation, fully winterised, double floor, inboard tanks double glazed egc, you're going to need to look at 5-10 year old usually German.

Winter destinations tend to be skiing or Spain or Morroco.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If it's a coach built or an A class or in other words anything other than a PVC then the body will be GRP or aluminium or quite possibly a bit of both, yes windows will be double glazed plastic. The wall panels may or may not be fully bonded and the thickness of these panels varies from van to van so you need to do your research, and then you need to look into where the tanks for water and waste are housed and are these well insulated.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Lower cost and nearly all Brit built vans use polystyrene for insulation, higher quality vans used a closed cell foam like PU which gives far better insulation also they take far more care avoidinding cold bridges.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S
Oct 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
i'm a newbie
At 40-50k I wouldn't be buying a new one. If You want proper insulation, fully winterised, double floor, inboard tanks double glazed egc, you're going to need to look at 5-10 year old usually German.

Winter destinations tend to be skiing or Spain or Morroco.
Thanks, I've just noticed the section listing foreign manufacturers so I will more research!

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
I'm a full timer, unfortunately I still have to work but my work usually comes in blocks of weeks, in the summer I might work 8 weeks then have 4 weeks off to go mooching. In the winter I hunker down in a mates yard with ehu and water on my pitch, facilities are available because attached to his yard he's got a cs.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back