MotorHome in the Drink Lisbon Portugal! (1 Viewer)

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Said to be a technical issue!!!

Such as Spaniard and wine in balance perhaps?

Luckily seems no one was hurt except the driver who suffered abrasions after jumping out and leaving her in doors to sort the kids

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I guess it was floating for long enough to drift away from the quay although looking at the sea the wind seems to be blowing towards the quay.
Lucky it wasn't a Swift.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Looks like it’s floating well, perhaps all the polystyrene insulation or a large air pocket,

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Someone, somewhere is just worrying how long to get the water out,😉

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
"According to the Morning Mail, in the cause of the accident will be a technical problem of brakes."

My suggestions for what this means ...
  • He forgot to press them in order to stop
  • He didn't put the handbrake on when he had stopped
  • He was looking at the view and didn't realise he'd got so close to the edge
  • He was reversing in and went too far back.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Could be the handbrake failed. Many people just stick the handbrake on and rely for their life/property on a single stranded bit of cable not breaking. US automatic owners are notorious for putting it in park and not putting the handbrake on, relying on a flimsy 5mm parking "pawl" not to break.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Could be the handbrake failed. Many people just stick the handbrake on and rely for their life/property on a single stranded bit of cable not breaking. US automatic owners are notorious for putting it in park and not putting the handbrake on, relying on a flimsy 5mm parking "pawl" not to break.
What do you suggest ? An anchor ?
Every vehicle relies on a handbrake

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
Google translated.
"According to Correio da Manhã, the cause of the accident will be a technical problem with the brakes. The 43-year-old driver jumped on the road and suffered abrasions. He was referred to the hospital for hypothermia.

The alert occurred at about 11:13 am. On site were 12 operational and three vehicles from Firefighters Sapadores de Lisboa. According to information advanced to the CM by the authorities, the PSP identified the owners of the vehicle, who were monitoring the removal of the vehicle from the water.

The vehicle belongs to a Spanish couple. Two more adults and two children followed on board."

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Google translated.
"According to Correio da Manhã, the cause of the accident will be a technical problem with the brakes. The 43-year-old driver jumped on the road and suffered abrasions. He was referred to the hospital for hypothermia.

The alert occurred at about 11:13 am. On site were 12 operational and three vehicles from Firefighters Sapadores de Lisboa. According to information advanced to the CM by the authorities, the PSP identified the owners of the vehicle, who were monitoring the removal of the vehicle from the water.

The vehicle belongs to a Spanish couple. Two more adults and two children followed on board."
So the driver jumped before it went in the water and left 2 adults and 2 kids in the van?

That sounds like he was trying to drown them to me

Oct 27, 2019
Fareham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I believe if you put a automatic in park it locks up the gearbox so the wheels will not turn. However if you leave the vehicle in neutral the wheels will turn. Therefore Park is the safest if the handbrake fails.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I believe if you put a automatic in park it locks up the gearbox so the wheels will not turn. However if you leave the vehicle in neutral the wheels will turn. Therefore Park is the safest if the handbrake fails.

I mean americans tend to use Park, but don't apply the handbrake. "Park" relies on a tiny piece of metal called a "pawl" that can snap, just like a handbrake cable can snap. You should never leave a parked vehicle without TWO methods of securing it from running away. If a cable/pawl snaps and the vehicle runs away, I call that driver error.

Oct 27, 2019
Fareham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I mean americans tend to use Park, but don't apply the handbrake. "Park" relies on a tiny piece of metal called a "pawl" that can snap, just like a handbrake cable can snap. You should never leave a parked vehicle without TWO methods of securing it from running away. If a cable/pawl snaps and the vehicle runs away, I call that driver error.
I see what you mean. So a thin bit of wire and a small bit of metal and parking on a hill is a insurance claim waiting to happen 😂 I have seen Videos of American cars that can slip into reverse when they are parked with the engine running. Not an unusual occurrence apparently.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007

Relying solely on Park is easily done, but lazy. I agree with your comment. A third safety precaution is a brick or rock behind a wheel. Used to be called the African Handbrake in pre-PC days.

The other hazard with the Ducato handbrake is the dreaded clothing malfunction when the lever snags your shorts as you exit the driver's door. Riiiip! :swear:

As you know, many modern cars (even Fiats) replace the traditional handbrake lever with a tiny switch for the electronic parking brake. There's a faint whirr from the electric brake motor and you have to put your faith in the unseen gubbins. It takes a bit of getting used to.

Despite the damage to my shorts, I'm hoping that this innovation won't be found in the next generation Ducato.:pray:

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Relying solely on Park is easily done, but lazy. I agree with your comment. A third safety precaution is a brick or rock behind a wheel. Used to be called the African Handbrake in pre-PC days.

The other hazard with the Ducato handbrake is the dreaded clothing malfunction when the lever snags your shorts as you exit the driver's door. Riiiip! :swear:

As you know, many modern cars (even Fiats) replace the traditional handbrake lever with a tiny switch for the electronic parking brake. There's a faint whirr from the electric brake motor and you have to put your faith in the unseen gubbins. It takes a bit of getting used to.

Despite the damage to my shorts, I'm hoping that this innovation won't be found in the next generation Ducato.:pray:

Solutions

Buy an 'A' Class with no driver's door

Drive in colder climates.

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018

If you wish to see bricks and rocks under wheels go to West Africa where every truck driver there is uses them not as a back up but because the brakes on West African trucks are notoriously feeble due to lack of maintenance. Red Triangle? Forget it, but look for a line of branches on the road. Hazard lights, you should be so lucky as often they do not have any lights! A friend on mine whose car I was in heard me comment about a car we were in following another with no lights to which his response was, neither have I got any lights. A very common cause of death while working in Africa is running into a stationary vehicle at night parked in the middle of the road broken down unlit. Some friends of ours were killed that way. The result Isis you must drive at night be ultra cautious so we would only drive in the the town we lived in at night but never on the open road in the countryside.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
For one terrifying moment I thought it could be JJ as he is on the road at this present time. Then I read the driver JUMPED from the moving vehicle and was instantly relieved it could not have been JJ.

Sep 2, 2020
Ladybarn, Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
So the driver jumped before it went in the water and left 2 adults and 2 kids in the van?

That sounds like he was trying to drown them to me

You watch too much Coronation Street;)
Corrie.jpg

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing

Getting the Fiat Handbrake to a condition where it will pass an MOT, is more art than engineering. There is a specific sequence to it. It took myself and my MOT test guy over 30 min to get the adjustment to a point where he would give it a Pass. And that was after fitting new brake shoes and thoroughly cleaning the hubs, and running it for some miles using the handbrake to get in bedded in!.
That system is IMV Not fit for purpose.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
If you wish to see bricks and rocks under wheels go to West Africa where every truck driver there is uses them not as a back up but because the brakes on West African trucks are notoriously feeble due to lack of maintenance. Red Triangle? Forget it, but look for a line of branches on the road. Hazard lights, you should be so lucky as often they do not have any lights! A friend on mine whose car I was in heard me comment about a car we were in following another with no lights to which his response was, neither have I got any lights. A very common cause of death while working in Africa is running into a stationary vehicle at night parked in the middle of the road broken down unlit. Some friends of ours were killed that way. The result Isis you must drive at night be ultra cautious so we would only drive in the the town we lived in at night but never on the open road in the countryside.

Reminescent of the years I spent in northern Nigeria, where I also passed my motorbike test. Very glad I no longer live there. Since I left we hear about Fulani herdsmen with AKs massacring Hausa villagers, 100,000 christians having been killed by muslims, Boko Haram out of control - the list of bad stuff is getting longer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back