Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Hi folks
I am at the moment planning to do a swap for 6 to 8 weeks with a couple in New Zealand late next year, never done it before so any hidden problems?
Insurance, do I put them on my insurance for the duration or do they buy a stand alone policy?
Any information from people that have done it would be appreciated,
It's early days but have always like to plan well in advance to minimise the screw ups that always seem to plague me:Eeek:

cydersyd

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Jul 21, 2010
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years.
Hello Ivorantony,

I did this some years ago. The idea was to exchange my motorhome for a house in Aukland for an eight week period August and September. Fortuanately I insisted that they purchased a stand alone insurance, this is possible through a company (I think) called Aussies Abroad.
However, they arrived in the UK early and arranged to meet us about two weeks before the exchange, and it's just as well that we did.
They were both in their mid seventies and the female was quite ill. to the extent that during the weekend they spent with us at our home she spent most of the time in bed. She had a long standing lung condition.
The man (driver) was very short and when we showed him our van he had difficulty in getting into it, let alone reaching the pedals and seeing over the steering wheel. The van was a Ducato.
They spoke about the places they wanted to see, Scotland, France, Spain Germany and Ireland. They insisted that they would not be using motorways in any country as they have too much traffic at home and they didn't like use the motorway in New Zealand.
It quickly became apparant to us all that this wasn't going to work and we changed the exchange to allow them to have our house and car and we would have theirs.
The upshot was according to neighbours, they hardly left the house at all racking up huge electricity bills. When they did venture away in our car to visit relatives in the north, they burned out the clutch, caused suspension damage and tyre damage hitting the kerbstones and knocked off the silencer taking a corner too closely!
Although we had a good time in New Zealand hiring two motorhomes one in each island we only used their home as a base. When we did use their property it was very cold. No heating, open fires with no wood. Ant infestation in the kitchen etc. It was nicer in the vans that we hired.!

This trip was part of an eight month trip around the world and didn't dampen our enthusiasm at all, we had a great time but it taught us not to take things at face value. Check, check and check again. Ask as many questions as you can, see them and their vehicle/house on skype. Delve into their intentions with your vehicle/home and consider it all carefully.

Have a great time. Cydersyd.

OP
OP
ivorantony
Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Thanks for that, these are middle age teachers with a similar motorhome to ours size wise, it's very early days in the planning but will make sure as to their intentions before parting with my keys,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back