Motorhome holiday in USA

Discussion in 'American RV's' started by Edenside, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +6,128
    @mojo has shipped his mh to usa for 6 months traveling.

2. alanalmoff

alanalmoff Funster

Ratings:
    +61
    Every time we were going near the Going to The Sun Road it had been closed due to the snow, we managed to get onto it from the West entrance for about 15 miles, I spoke to a ranger about clearing it with ploughs, he answered, not when it's 80feet deep, Alan

3. tometucker

tometucker Funster

Ratings:
    +35
    Enjoyed your story. I am flying out to LA in Jan next year & I am checking to see if we can do something similar later that month. I fancy getting a seven day rail pass on Amtrak & making my way via New Orleans to Chicago & returning to LA via Route 66. I am a a bit concerned about insurance, especially the excess charge. How did you get on regarding the hail stone damage to the hood?
    I see you are from Norfolk so we are practically neighbours here in Lowestoft.

4. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Ratings:
    +26,122
    Because it was a one way relocation for Cruise America they paid the insurance but we did get lucky , at the same time we delivered the RV to the hire centre at Las Vegas a customer was returning an RV at end of a hire with half the side torn out following a prang so ours did not even get a glance.
    I would think that hail damage is relatively common so loss of excess would be a bit cruel.
    Hi neighbour, we are at Gorleston :D

5. veevee

veevee Funster

Ratings:
    +1,750
    @tometucker

If you want a few opinions and ideas on Amtrak routes just ask, used them a lot in the last 3 or 4 years and using them again this December and January

6. tometucker

tometucker Funster

Ratings:
    +35
    Thanks for that. We did a thirty day trip around the States on Amtrak at the beginning of 2017. I am checking the best way to get from Los Angeles to Chicago via San Antonio & New Orleans to pick up a New Vehicle Relocation RV. If I can get one to suit my timing I will drive back to LA via Route 66 over 4 -5 weeks. It looks like it will be cheaper to buy individual tickets instead of a Fifteen Day Pass.
    If I can't get a New Vehicle Relocation I will probably rent an RV in LA & drive down to New Orleans & back on a circular route. Should be fun one way or the other. I would appreciate any tips regarding renting motorhomes in the States, especially regarding the insurances & the excess charges.

7. veevee

veevee Funster

Ratings:
    +1,750
    Can't help with RV details but there are quite a few here who may, sorry.

The Sunset Limited runs 3 times each week which is a good train to catch to get off at San Antonio, stay a day or two and get the next SL through to New Orleans. NOL is one of our favourite US cities now and we are not party people, but it has something very special if you can get to the other parts of the city too, not just the French Quarter. Algiers by ferry across the Mississippi is a great place to walk, the homes there are like nowhere else. There's a good café in the center of Algiers called Tout De Suite, only locals there when we visited.

Of course you know about the City of New Orleans train to Chicago, we've never ridden that but the route looks interesting.

At the time you are travelling the northern route Empire Builder will be fabulous, from Portland OR or Seattle WA to Chicago. You are guaranteed snow to heavy snow then and the Rockies have to be crossed as does Montana and N Dakota. It's so scenic, almost beyond picture book. You can get to Seattle using the Coast Starlight from LA, no changes. If you haven't ridden it the section after Oxnard CA through to San Luis Obispo CA is just amazing right on the beach up through S California.

One other route from LA is to take the Crescent from NOL to Washington, then the Cardinal to Chicago. Haven't ridden the Cardinal yet but will this coming winter as we travel from New York City to LA. We are in LA too from just before New Year to almost the end of January but will take a few trips away from the city from time to time, we can't wait.

You probably knew all the above so excuse me rambling on, US long distance trains have become a passion with us recently as the enormous number of diverse people you meet is unrivalled.

Good luck on your travels

8. tometucker

tometucker Funster

Ratings:
    +35

Thanks for that. We did travel quite a few of the long distance routes on Amtrak in Jan/Feb 2017. We bought 30 day passes & after flying into Orlando we went up the East coast to New York into blizzard conditions. After a few days there we went on to Niagara Falls then to Chicago. We then had a two day trip across to Seattle from where we had a side trip up to, Vancouver in Canada & back. After Seattle we moved down to San Francisco, mainly to visit Alcatraz before heading back across to Denver to visit friends, though phenomenal snow drifts. After that we carried on back to Chicago before heading across to Washington & then back to Orlando. Wrong time of the year really but better than staying in England. This time we will keep South as much as possible.

Thanks for your input, we agree that the trains are a really great way to see the States although motorhomes or caravans allow you to visit more places, especially the National Parks on the West side.

9. veevee

veevee Funster

Ratings:
    +1,750
    Sounds like you are as hooked as we are...