Motorhome holiday in USA (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
It just occurred to me from the lists you published that if there were only 4 -6 RV's they would soon be taken. Of course if this is only the start/destination with dates available then they may ship say 10 at a time?

Did you use Walmarts at all for overnighting?

Thanks again, very informative

When the lists first appear I have seen numbers to be moved to individual destinations as Linda has that information.
We used campsites 100% for overnighting because of the facilities available, pools, fire ring, bbq and of course hook up water etc., I would rather pay a bit and have as much comfort as possible, however I understand that Walmart do allow overnighting.

PS the first available relocations become available for Feb March and as such there is much more risk of bad weather, we opted for later to reduce that risk.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Just received latest list of re locations, cheap hire or what

image.jpeg

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
We have hired RVs three times now , the last one in 2012 we did a Cruise America one way location trip with a new 30ft from Chicago to Las Vegas taking in much of Route 66 and via Memphis for Graceland. We took a month and 3k miles , an incredible holiday.
Every early spring Cruise America have many new RVs to replace old ones to deliver from Chicago and Toronto which are produced by Thor in Elkhart Indiana. They do a special one way rate which normally includes some extras including insurance .
The contact point in UK is www.cruiseamerica.co.uk , also called the Motorhome Experts.
I have received emails from them for early deliveries but not in the last couple of weeks.
Our 2012 trip including flights hotels sites etc cost us approx £3.5 k for a month total.
If I can find last e mail will post it on here.

Morning Larry, I have to say that you've provided some fantastic info here. I'm going to read the thread a few more times and then ask yoy some questions (y)

This could be what we need with our pending trip to Ohio, Chicago, Detroit etc

All the best,

Andrew

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Morning Larry, I have to say that you've provided some fantastic info here. I'm going to read the thread a few more times and then ask yoy some questions (y)

This could be what we need with our pending trip to Ohio, Chicago, Detroit etc

All the best,

Andrew

No problem Andrew, just reading through this thread again reminds me of the fabulous places and times we had.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
No problem Andrew, just reading through this thread again reminds me of the fabulous places and times we had.

It really does sound great Larry and I'm chuffed to have found it. I've never ventured into the 5th wheel section before so this is fate IMO:D

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
If it is of any interest, here is a link to my extensive (well, very long!) blog of my five month road trip in Western USA in 2010 -

http://jonsamerica2010.blogspot.com/

Which, for most people would be the trip of a life time, but I was fortunate as this was the "main course" after the " starter" in 2009

http://jonsamerica.blogspot.co.uk/

When I crossed the USA with the fifth wheel and a still good friend!

They are long reads, but you may enjoy and get some ideas. Just remember, the USA is VAST and you have no idea until you actually drive it and live in it.

Fond memories? You bet!

born2bslow

Free Member
Jul 31, 2018
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
I love the USA, Chicago to Seattle would be brilliant. Have friends in Yakima about 3hrs inland from Seattle that we haven't visited for a long time, we drove over the mountains from Seattle many years ago and it's like driving through an old cowboy film. Much food for thought here, thanks peeps!

alanalmoff

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
March
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2001
Sadly, for us, It`s all over. SWMBO can no longer get anyone to cover her for medical insurance, so we don`t even get to visit the Grand-kids any more (they come here though).

We had over 5 Years of it. And enjoyed every minute, Even in a Snowstorm on the Devils Highway into Utah!. Hairy or what!. I am looking at piece of "petrified tree" as I type it`s a paper weight. Many of the places you mention struck a chord too, The "Road Kill" Cafe?. Old R66, where if you give them some recent "Road Kill" they Will cook it for you!. (Or would). There are really no "highlights" as there are too many. But Wounded Knee, was memorable, as was Parking up near the site of the Buddy Holly Plane crash. Watching Native American "Pow Wow". We Thought the Crazy Horse Mountain carving more spectacular that the Presidents. In the background to the Avtar, is the Devils Tower, Wyoming, which features in several Films ("Paul" for one). We even took part in the 2012 "Brits Rally" in the Dessert near Quartzite!. 12 R-V`s in a circle, most of them British or British Ex pats, and a big Campfire in the centre and a Union Flag! One day I will get round to finishing the "log" of our times. Thousands of Photo`s and endless footage to edit though, and not enough days in the year.

Same as you Pete, done 8/9 years, enjoyed every minuet, apart from paying for the 3 night stay in the Hospital in Colorado Springs, ($17000), cant afford the med ins, to return, Alan

alanalmoff

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
March
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2001
Hope you do. If it was not for the "medical" issue, we would not have given up. We had (I think without checking) in excess of 30 states under our belts, ranging from Florida to Montana, We camped by a lake in Montana, within 35 Miles of the Canadian Border on the "Road to the Sun". This was late July, and the road had only just been opened to traffic having been closed by the winter Snow. R-V`s are banned from the high sections. but loads of the bikers going to Sturgis where using it!. (750.000 Bikers in one place!).
Every time we were going near the Going to The Sun Road it had been closed due to the snow, we managed to get onto it from the West entrance for about 15 miles, I spoke to a ranger about clearing it with ploughs, he answered, not when it's 80feet deep, Alan

tometucker

Free Member
Jul 2, 2013
Lowestoft
Funster No
MH
Bailey 74-4
Exp
Since 2012
North rim Grand Canyon evening meal

View attachment 205206
Enjoyed your story. I am flying out to LA in Jan next year & I am checking to see if we can do something similar later that month. I fancy getting a seven day rail pass on Amtrak & making my way via New Orleans to Chicago & returning to LA via Route 66. I am a a bit concerned about insurance, especially the excess charge. How did you get on regarding the hail stone damage to the hood?
I see you are from Norfolk so we are practically neighbours here in Lowestoft.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Enjoyed your story. I am flying out to LA in Jan next year & I am checking to see if we can do something similar later that month. I fancy getting a seven day rail pass on Amtrak & making my way via New Orleans to Chicago & returning to LA via Route 66. I am a a bit concerned about insurance, especially the excess charge. How did you get on regarding the hail stone damage to the hood?

Because it was a one way relocation for Cruise America they paid the insurance but we did get lucky , at the same time we delivered the RV to the hire centre at Las Vegas a customer was returning an RV at end of a hire with half the side torn out following a prang so ours did not even get a glance.
I would think that hail damage is relatively common so loss of excess would be a bit cruel.
Hi neighbour, we are at Gorleston :D

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years

@tometucker

If you want a few opinions and ideas on Amtrak routes just ask, used them a lot in the last 3 or 4 years and using them again this December and January

tometucker

Free Member
Jul 2, 2013
Lowestoft
Funster No
MH
Bailey 74-4
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks for that. We did a thirty day trip around the States on Amtrak at the beginning of 2017. I am checking the best way to get from Los Angeles to Chicago via San Antonio & New Orleans to pick up a New Vehicle Relocation RV. If I can get one to suit my timing I will drive back to LA via Route 66 over 4 -5 weeks. It looks like it will be cheaper to buy individual tickets instead of a Fifteen Day Pass.
If I can't get a New Vehicle Relocation I will probably rent an RV in LA & drive down to New Orleans & back on a circular route. Should be fun one way or the other. I would appreciate any tips regarding renting motorhomes in the States, especially regarding the insurances & the excess charges.

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Thanks for that. We did a thirty day trip around the States on Amtrak at the beginning of 2017. I am checking the best way to get from Los Angeles to Chicago via San Antonio & New Orleans to pick up a New Vehicle Relocation RV. If I can get one to suit my timing I will drive back to LA via Route 66 over 4 -5 weeks. It looks like it will be cheaper to buy individual tickets instead of a Fifteen Day Pass.
If I can't get a New Vehicle Relocation I will probably rent an RV in LA & drive down to New Orleans & back on a circular route. Should be fun one way or the other. I would appreciate any tips regarding renting motorhomes in the States, especially regarding the insurances & the excess charges.

Can't help with RV details but there are quite a few here who may, sorry.

The Sunset Limited runs 3 times each week which is a good train to catch to get off at San Antonio, stay a day or two and get the next SL through to New Orleans. NOL is one of our favourite US cities now and we are not party people, but it has something very special if you can get to the other parts of the city too, not just the French Quarter. Algiers by ferry across the Mississippi is a great place to walk, the homes there are like nowhere else. There's a good café in the center of Algiers called Tout De Suite, only locals there when we visited.

Of course you know about the City of New Orleans train to Chicago, we've never ridden that but the route looks interesting.

At the time you are travelling the northern route Empire Builder will be fabulous, from Portland OR or Seattle WA to Chicago. You are guaranteed snow to heavy snow then and the Rockies have to be crossed as does Montana and N Dakota. It's so scenic, almost beyond picture book. You can get to Seattle using the Coast Starlight from LA, no changes. If you haven't ridden it the section after Oxnard CA through to San Luis Obispo CA is just amazing right on the beach up through S California.

One other route from LA is to take the Crescent from NOL to Washington, then the Cardinal to Chicago. Haven't ridden the Cardinal yet but will this coming winter as we travel from New York City to LA. We are in LA too from just before New Year to almost the end of January but will take a few trips away from the city from time to time, we can't wait.

You probably knew all the above so excuse me rambling on, US long distance trains have become a passion with us recently as the enormous number of diverse people you meet is unrivalled.

Good luck on your travels

tometucker

Free Member
Jul 2, 2013
Lowestoft
Funster No
MH
Bailey 74-4
Exp
Since 2012
Can't help with RV details but there are quite a few here who may, sorry.

The Sunset Limited runs 3 times each week which is a good train to catch to get off at San Antonio, stay a day or two and get the next SL through to New Orleans. NOL is one of our favourite US cities now and we are not party people, but it has something very special if you can get to the other parts of the city too, not just the French Quarter. Algiers by ferry across the Mississippi is a great place to walk, the homes there are like nowhere else. There's a good café in the center of Algiers called Tout De Suite, only locals there when we visited.

Of course you know about the City of New Orleans train to Chicago, we've never ridden that but the route looks interesting.

At the time you are travelling the northern route Empire Builder will be fabulous, from Portland OR or Seattle WA to Chicago. You are guaranteed snow to heavy snow then and the Rockies have to be crossed as does Montana and N Dakota. It's so scenic, almost beyond picture book. You can get to Seattle using the Coast Starlight from LA, no changes. If you haven't ridden it the section after Oxnard CA through to San Luis Obispo CA is just amazing right on the beach up through S California.

One other route from LA is to take the Crescent from NOL to Washington, then the Cardinal to Chicago. Haven't ridden the Cardinal yet but will this coming winter as we travel from New York City to LA. We are in LA too from just before New Year to almost the end of January but will take a few trips away from the city from time to time, we can't wait.

You probably knew all the above so excuse me rambling on, US long distance trains have become a passion with us recently as the enormous number of diverse people you meet is unrivalled.

Good luck on your travels

Thanks for that. We did travel quite a few of the long distance routes on Amtrak in Jan/Feb 2017. We bought 30 day passes & after flying into Orlando we went up the East coast to New York into blizzard conditions. After a few days there we went on to Niagara Falls then to Chicago. We then had a two day trip across to Seattle from where we had a side trip up to, Vancouver in Canada & back. After Seattle we moved down to San Francisco, mainly to visit Alcatraz before heading back across to Denver to visit friends, though phenomenal snow drifts. After that we carried on back to Chicago before heading across to Washington & then back to Orlando. Wrong time of the year really but better than staying in England. This time we will keep South as much as possible.

Thanks for your input, we agree that the trains are a really great way to see the States although motorhomes or caravans allow you to visit more places, especially the National Parks on the West side.

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Thanks for that. We did travel quite a few of the long distance routes on Amtrak in Jan/Feb 2017. We bought 30 day passes & after flying into Orlando we went up the East coast to New York into blizzard conditions. After a few days there we went on to Niagara Falls then to Chicago. We then had a two day trip across to Seattle from where we had a side trip up to, Vancouver in Canada & back. After Seattle we moved down to San Francisco, mainly to visit Alcatraz before heading back across to Denver to visit friends, though phenomenal snow drifts. After that we carried on back to Chicago before heading across to Washington & then back to Orlando. Wrong time of the year really but better than staying in England. This time we will keep South as much as possible.

Thanks for your input, we agree that the trains are a really great way to see the States although motorhomes or caravans allow you to visit more places, especially the National Parks on the West side.

Sounds like you are as hooked as we are...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back