Free Member
Oct 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi everyone,

I am new to this site and to the world of motorhomes. I have seen a couple of threads advising newbies to rent a motorhome to start with, can anyone point me in the direction of which site to look at, please? I will be travelling with my dog so I will need a company that allows pets to travel as well. Many thanks, everyone, have a great day.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I used Justgo a few years ago before buying.
They're in Herefordshire just off M1.
Picked up on way to tunnel and left car on their premises.
Dogs no problem.
Found them ok to deal with.
All I would say is as a precaution, don't give them your home address, use a work address, or friend or family.
There is a good reason for this I don't want to go into. Same probably applies to any hire company.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We hired a couple of time before we bought a van. Both times we hired from a Hymer dealer in Germany as it was ½ the price of the UK.
We particularly wanted a Hymer as that is what we were thinking of buying, the Hymer site allows you to book a hire from any European dealer.
A popular international hire company is McRent.

Be careful if you hire in the UK some charge a fortune for insurance if you want to take the van out if the county.

Also you can't get get CDW on Motorhomes so be prepared to right off your £1000 deposit if you have a scrape.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009

Not used them but they are local to us.

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Catterick Caravans in, er, Catterick. Staff treat you like gold dust, fleet is all 12 month old Burstner & Roller Team A class & coachbuilt, Moho's replaced every year.
They're hire business is quite low key and they don't hire to every Tom Dick or Harry so the vans are all in great shape plus I've never seen such a thorough pre & post hire shakedown. Basically they all get a base vehicle service and hab' check on their return.

Just like all vehicles for hire, there will be scrapes, usually on the wing mirrors but just have a walk around taking pics on your phone pre takeover as they'll be time & date stamped.

Upvote 0

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
I used Justgo a few years ago before buying.
They're in Herefordshire just off M1.
Picked up on way to tunnel and left car on their premises.
Dogs no problem.
Found them ok to deal with.
All I would say is as a precaution, don't give them your home address, use a work address, or friend or family.
There is a good reason for this I don't want to go into. Same probably applies to any hire company.

Just in case you're wandering around Herefordshire trying to find them, I suspect Figaro meant Hertfordshire, but they're actually in Bedfordshire just off the M1 not far from Toddington Services (y)

Upvote 0

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Upvote 0

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
lots of adverts on line stating they are pet friendly hirers; check actual price tho as the advertised cost can go up n up in real life. Also check what they provide -some dont have crockery/cutlery apparently[feedback from another site] And dont book from late June - August as this is festival season and most will double f not triple their prices...

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back