Motorhome Gas Attack First Hand Account (1 Viewer)

norfolkenchants

Free Member
Oct 7, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
I think that the problem for most of us is that The Royal College of Anaesthetists, do know more than most of us.

It is them stating that gas would not have been the cause for your malaise.

There is no gas known to them, that could produce the effects described.

As for the French police? The same as ours, normal people who have been on a training course for a few weeks. So to be fair not qualified to make a medical diagnosis, so their opinion on a medical matters is null and void However:-

Were you hospitalised? I would imagine if the Police thought that you had been poisoned and robbed they would have requested an ambulance, you would have been hospitalised and toxicology reports ordered. and, as with a general aesthetic you have been medically observed for a period of time before you would be released.

Logically can you imagine the consequences of a local Policeman, thinking that you had been gassed, rendered unconscious and robbed, doing nothing and perhaps allowing someone's death due to the their inaction?

The other strange phenomenon, is the location of alleged attacks! Northern Spain and France and it is always British people and Germans. Why don't such attacks take place in the USA? for example?

Russians tried it in Chechenya of course, in the Dubrovka Theater. Circa 850 hostages, in one building. 40 terrorists died and 130 hostages died along with them: Gassed! That's 20% :Eeek: and the rest hospitalised!

[FONT=&quot]
So, until the Royal College of Anaesthetists publish a paper to explain that such gasses do exist, and randomly squirting, any quantity, of "Gas A" into a well ventilated, motorhome, caravan or apartment, of various volumes, will, render various occupants, of varying ages and body masses unconscious (but not the thieves[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]) for sufficient time for a theft to be committed, but, no one will be hurt or killed in the process I will continue to say the same thing to our customers

Gas attacks do not happen.

That is just my opinion, based on scientific evidence and deaths, but still an opinion, worth no more or less than yours based on your personal experiences and anecdotal evidence, opinions, we are all entitled to them

Eddie

[/FONT]

You may be interested in this article from The Gaurdian newspaper but don't let facts get in the way of your opinions.

'Sleeping gas' thieves target super-rich at Italian billionaires' resort
Burglars suspected of using sleeping gas to ensure they are not disturbed during break-ins on Sardinia's Costa Smeralda

John Hooper in Rome
The Guardian, Tuesday 30 August 2011 17.22 BST

Built in the 1960s by Prince Karim Aga Khan, Porto Cervo has long been a playground for the super-rich. Photograph: Oliviero Olivieri/Getty Images
Police in the billionaires' retreat of Porto Cervo on Sardinia's Costa Smeralda believe thieves who made off with €315,000 (£280,000) in cash and jewels used sleeping gas on their victims to ensure they were not disturbed during the break-in.

Similar robberies have been reported this summer in France and Spain.

The burglaries in Porto Cervo, which took place last week, were only disclosed by police on Tuesday. The thieves sneaked into the rented holiday villa of a Milanese pharmaceuticals tycoon and left with a haul worth around €300,000. The businessman's 42-year-old wife, her mother and their daughter were all in the house, along with a servant, but no one heard the burglars, even though they took the windows off their hinges to get in.

At the villa next door, two holidaymakers found a watch and €15,000 in cash missing. They told police they had woken up feeling weak and dazed.

In July, "gassing gangs" were reported to be targeting caravans and camper vans in France. Thieves sprayed sleeping gas in through air vents before breaking in.

Earlier this month, at least six houses on an estate at Rincón de la Victoria on Spain's Costa del Sol were burgled by thieves thought to have used sleeping gas. One of the residents, José Luis Gómez, was quoted as saying the victims had woken "dizzy, with headaches, vomiting and stinging throats".

Porto Cervo was built in the 1960s by Prince Karim Aga Khan and it has long been a playground for the super-rich. Earlier this month,the sign at the entrance to the Costa Smeralda was altered, apparently by an insufficiently prosperous holidaymaker armed with a spray can. The "Smeralda" was deleted and replaced with the word "troppo", so it now reads in Italian: "Costs too much."

norfolkenchants

Free Member
Oct 7, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
I think that the problem for most of us is that The Royal College of Anaesthetists, do know more than most of us.

It is them stating that gas would not have been the cause for your malaise.

There is no gas known to them, that could produce the effects described.

As for the French police? The same as ours, normal people who have been on a training course for a few weeks. So to be fair not qualified to make a medical diagnosis, so their opinion on a medical matters is null and void However:-

Were you hospitalised? I would imagine if the Police thought that you had been poisoned and robbed they would have requested an ambulance, you would have been hospitalised and toxicology reports ordered. and, as with a general aesthetic you have been medically observed for a period of time before you would be released.

Logically can you imagine the consequences of a local Policeman, thinking that you had been gassed, rendered unconscious and robbed, doing nothing and perhaps allowing someone's death due to the their inaction?

The other strange phenomenon, is the location of alleged attacks! Northern Spain and France and it is always British people and Germans. Why don't such attacks take place in the USA? for example?

Russians tried it in Chechenya of course, in the Dubrovka Theater. Circa 850 hostages, in one building. 40 terrorists died and 130 hostages died along with them: Gassed! That's 20% :Eeek: and the rest hospitalised!

[FONT=&quot]
So, until the Royal College of Anaesthetists publish a paper to explain that such gasses do exist, and randomly squirting, any quantity, of "Gas A" into a well ventilated, motorhome, caravan or apartment, of various volumes, will, render various occupants, of varying ages and body masses unconscious (but not the thieves[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]) for sufficient time for a theft to be committed, but, no one will be hurt or killed in the process I will continue to say the same thing to our customers

Gas attacks do not happen.

That is just my opinion, based on scientific evidence and deaths, but still an opinion, worth no more or less than yours based on your personal experiences and anecdotal evidence, opinions, we are all entitled to them

Eddie

[/FONT]

And this one from a Spanish newspaper. There are many stories similar out there.

'Sleeping gas' burglaries terrify residents
By: thinkSPAIN , Thursday, August 11, 2011

BURGLARS behind a crimewave on an urbanisation in Rincón de la Victoria (Málaga) used 'sleeping gas' on the occupants, say police.

At least six homes were broken into in the early hours of Friday morning on the Colinas de Procusan complex in the Cala del Moral area of the Costa del Sol seaside town.

Residents were unaware of what was happening until they woke up the next day feeling faint, dizzy and nauseous, with headaches and sore throats, and in some cases, vomiting.

Homeowner José Luis Gómez says the thieves must have been looking for cash, since they did not touch any of the laptops, cameras and other portable goods in the affected homes, but their owners found their purses, wallets and handbags in their gardens with all the money having been taken out.

He says the intruders took advantage of the fact that many residents had their windows open at night because of the hot weather.

Occupants are now very concerned about burglars using sleeping gas, since it can have harmful effects on children, the elderly and people with poor health.

Lorenzo Galdeano, a gardener on the estate, says the burglaries took place in five of the 24 blocks on the complex and always in first-floor apartments, “because the ground-floor flats have iron bars on the doors and windows.”

He adds that in some cases, the burglars took car keys, but changed their minds about stealing vehicles when they saw that the garages had CCTV cameras.

Guardia Civil officers are investigating.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I don't know a great deal about this but I do find it hard to believe that someone in a room with an open window can be gassed, also if the robbers have to carry the gas bottles would they not have to carry gas mask also. Not correct me if I'm wrong but do most robbers not want to be as inconspicuous as they could be rather than looking like a dentist on call.

Another question why have the great minds of the British criminal never been reported to have used this are they not as clever as the foreign ones, there again when I think about it my dentist is foreign and he's robs me all the time :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
And this one from a Spanish newspaper. There are many stories similar out there.

'Sleeping gas' burglaries terrify residents
By: thinkSPAIN , Thursday, August 11, 2011

BURGLARS behind a crimewave on an urbanisation in Rincón de la Victoria (Málaga) used 'sleeping gas' on the occupants, say police.

At least six homes were broken into in the early hours of Friday morning on the Colinas de Procusan complex in the Cala del Moral area of the Costa del Sol seaside town.

Residents were unaware of what was happening until they woke up the next day feeling faint, dizzy and nauseous, with headaches and sore throats, and in some cases, vomiting.

Homeowner José Luis Gómez says the thieves must have been looking for cash, since they did not touch any of the laptops, cameras and other portable goods in the affected homes, but their owners found their purses, wallets and handbags in their gardens with all the money having been taken out.

He says the intruders took advantage of the fact that many residents had their windows open at night because of the hot weather.

Occupants are now very concerned about burglars using sleeping gas, since it can have harmful effects on children, the elderly and people with poor health.

Lorenzo Galdeano, a gardener on the estate, says the burglaries took place in five of the 24 blocks on the complex and always in first-floor apartments, “because the ground-floor flats have iron bars on the doors and windows.”

He adds that in some cases, the burglars took car keys, but changed their minds about stealing vehicles when they saw that the garages had CCTV cameras.

There are loads of 'wooly' reports like that. I've seen them reported for many years. Those stories encourage others and we get a spate of them. One gassing story is reported, many other burglaries offer up gassing as an explanation. But never is any real evidence subsequently produced, clearly the gassers always take their gas canisters home. They'd be big canisters too, to gas whole apartments while the windows are open. :RollEyes:

There have been many thousands of gas alarms sold in the last ten years. Some of the big clubs scaring their members with stories in magazines just above adverts for narcotic gas detectors. To be honest I'm suprised that the EU hasn't banned these narcotic alarms as a nuisance; so many of them shattering the peace of the countryside as they go off and foil yet another gas attack.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
You are indeed entitled to your opinion. I on the other hand have first hand experience. It is extraordinary how dogmatic people can be about things they know nothing whatever about.

I have spoken to hundreds of thousands of people, about motorhome security since I started a motorhome security business 24 years ago.

I have tested dozens of gas alarm systems, to establish what gasses will and what gasses won't trigger gas systems.

I have travelled extensively around Europe, in motorhomes and discussed motorhome security.

I have researched Gas attacks for nearly 20 years.

I wrote the Code of Practice for the installation of security equipment for the Vehicle Installation Security Board (VSIB) in 1997

Eighteen months ago I sat on a panel at MIRRC at Thatcham discussing and proposing the new criteria for the Thatcham Recognised Installers Scheme.

I along with George Collins from "MMM" magazine the Country's most successful motorhome magazine over several decades, requested and investigated first hand accounts of gas attacks.

I have personally fitted more motorhome security systems to more motorhomes than anyone else than anyone else in the country.

I have spoken to thousands of people who can relate tales just like yours, but who have scratched a little deeper and realised that they have been robbed not drugged.

But then as I "politely" said I prefer to deal in known facts, such as the Royal College of Anaesthetists, with all the weight of such educated and academic body of knowledge behind them.

Just one question to anyone that believes that they were gassed! do you have one shred of medical evidence to support such a claim? If you have been rendered unconscious, and the Police involved surely as a victim of a major crime, a potentially lethal crime you would have been hospitalised. at the very least.

If you poisoned some one and caught you would be imprisoned, if a poisoner went around a town randomly poisoning people, I am sure that the Police would consider it a major incident, yet people wake up, their wallets gone with a head ache and the Police say "Ah you've been gassed, nothing we can do about it"

It is extraordinary, how people who have a single experience of theft, feel that there must be a reason for their loss, and can't accept the simple fact that they have been robbed.

Eddie

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I have just been reading this and chatting to a Dr colleague regarding this.

The plus points- It could be done.

what the "gasser" would need to know-

Body weight, Number of occupants, square meter of room involved, Air outlets and a degree in physics to work out the calculations. So it's possible yes, then there is a gas that can be used which will enforce sleep for a period of up to 7 mins.

So providing all the calculations are correct from teh formula above it can be done.

So what would happen if the calculations were not correct?

Well I am told the likelyhood is one of 3 options,
1) No effect on the occupants resulting in the possibility of them waking up.
2) Smack on calculations by a well trained "gasser" that's so good they have a physics degree but as opposed to use it, would rather hitch round the coastal areas of France and Spain robbing people.
3) The occupants would end up in a Coma (most likely) and highly unlikely = Death.

So, there would therefore be a long trail of people in a coma that have been robbed. I am sure the police would then be going public when our friends did not return from abroad missing presumed Gassed.

I did read a report about this happening in Spannish Villa, a proper news article about the house being pumped full of a gas and the occupants robbed. What always amazes me is why are the victims not then taken for blood test? After all simple bloods could identify any abnormalities. In fact, hold on Im going to log on to tox base now and see if i can see anything for "gas poisoning", .....:thumb:

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Newspapers

I remember some time ago a certain red topped newspaper here in the UK ran a story about someone being kidnapped by aliens and then released back on earth. It must have been true, it was in newspaper!

Mastercamper

Free Member
Dec 7, 2013
Northumberland Flag Flier
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
50 years campervanning
[

[HI]
[/HI]
Guardia Civil officers are investigating.[/QUOTE]

The reason that they did not take the cars --- Obvious really, they had run out of gas:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
[

[HI]
[/HI]

The reason that they did not take the cars --- Obvious really, they had run out of gas:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:[/QUOTE]

Classic :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::thumb:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
It is really interesting how you seem to know so much more about what happened to us than we do. Your theories are fascinating although somewhat at variance with our personal experience, the evidence of a business colleague sharing the apartment with us who found us in a drugged state in the morning and the French Police who for some reason you think made it all up. Most interesting.

THINK THAT WAKKY BAKKY was probably stronger than you thought...:roflmto:BUSBY.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
You may be interested in this article from The Gaurdian newspaper but don't let facts get in the way of your opinions.

'Sleeping gas' thieves target super-rich at Italian billionaires' resort
Burglars [HI]suspected[/HI] of using sleeping gas to ensure they are not disturbed during break-ins on Sardinia's Costa Smeralda

Says it all in the second paragraph :Doh::Doh:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
NO INSURANCE CO HAS EVER PAYED OUT ON A ROBBERY CAUSED BY A GAS ATTACK.....VERY VERY STRANGE THAT....BUSBY::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
You wouldn't think it was so funny if it had happened to you. French police told us clearly that gassing does go on on a regular basis and it tends to be the same feral gangs that do it. Neither of us, both light sleepers, could understand why we did not wake while the little sods ransacked the bedroom.T
he patient French Police explained that the gas knocks you out for several hours.

18 months ago I had cause to while away a couple of hours in the same room as a couple of French cops and an ambulance driver down in Avignon ( long story but a lot of folks know it on here so wont bore anyone )

We spoke of men and mice the way you do ( in extremely broken French and pretty cracked English ) .. I asked if they had ever come across the gassing thing.
One cop laughed and said that they ( the French police ) were pretty much instructed to give out the gas story ..
I naturally asked why and as far as I can work out it is for two main reasons.

The first is that it misdirects tourists from believing any French person could be involved thereby removing fears for a return visit ( I think.. it was either a return visit by the thieves or maybe a return visit to France by the person who was robbed ? )

And the second has already been mentioned. It is what they are expected to say.

Neither of the cops nor the ambulance guy had ever had cause to suspect a real gas attack .. ever.

In other words I would suggest you were told what you expected to hear..

Given the cost of the gas needed ( to fill a room it would be about € 600 ) and given the extreme likely hood of death, I personally am not a believer.
I have asked an anesthetist his opinion based on his work and his 35 years experience and he just grinned..

However.......................................

Having been present when an idiot mate decided to see what effect Easy start had on himself, and watching him keel over, I would say that it is vaguely possible.. How ever ( again ) given the cost of Easy start in the volume you would need for it to be effective, I am again more than dubious.

Unless the thieves first steal a load of whatever they are going to use ( ?? ) rather than buy the stuff, the practice does not stand up to fiscal scrutiny let alone a medical one

If they have THAT amount of the stuff they could 'proly sell it and make more lolly than actually robbing someone !

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Good post Jaws

Regarding Easy Start, as I posted in another post about ten pages back :winky: I set up a gas detector in a simulated environment to demonstrate and to test a particular gas detector we were playing with.

Easy Start is so corrosive that it pretty much melted everything over night :cry:

The whole lot had to go in the skip.

Eddie

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Ether is highly flammable - it is the active ingredient of Easystart. A vehicle full of the stuff would make the most enormous bang if the gas touched the flame in a 'fridge. Now if this had happened I think we would have heard about it - and literally if you were just a few miles away.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
When reading articles in papers people often interpret was is written incorrectly.

Sloppy, non caring journalists use words to deliberately mislead...

Using the "articles" quoted in this thread I will try to prove my point.

NONE of the articles state catergorically that the victims were gassed...

Look...

"burglars [HI]suspected[/HI] of using sleeping gas..."

"[HI]believed[/HI]..... used sleeping gas..."

"gassing gangs were [HI]reported[/HI] to be targeting caravans.."

"[HI]thought[/HI] to have used sleeping gas..."

"Used sleeping gas.... [HI]say[/HI] police"

These writings are used here to try to convince everyone that gas attacks are real...

The poster who is convinced he/she was gassed and robbed will always believe this... just as I will always believe the robbers just rob... They don't gas and rob.

And anyway... A couple of weeks ago I woke up all dizzy and disoriented with a head ache and I HADN'T been robbed...

...what does that prove?

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:

petrol tin glyn

Free Member
Jun 29, 2012
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
autotrail cheiftain
Exp
since 2006
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: with respect to all how many in there right mind would have (quote $300,000 and $15,000 its true its in the newspaper? ) in cash in there wallets in a holiday apartment with the windows open, us motorhome people have not got that sort of cash onboard maybe a couple of euros to boot:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
When reading articles in papers people often interpret was is written incorrectly.

Look...

These writings are used here to try to convince everyone that gas attacks are real...

The poster who is convinced he/she was gassed and robbed will always believe this... just as I will always believe the robbers just rob... They don't gas and rob.

And anyway... A couple of weeks ago I woke up all dizzy and disoriented with a head ache and I HADN'T been robbed...

...what does that prove?

I told you many times you're having too much...."fun"!:RollEyes:
How many women in your bed this time hey?? Dizzy? Head ache? Yeah right .... serves you right:Angry:........

Unless you had too much alcohol:Eeek: That would make some change

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years

Look...

[HI]And anyway... A couple of weeks ago I woke up all dizzy and disoriented with a head ache and I HADN'T been robbed...

...what does that prove?
[/HI]

:wine::wine::wine::wine::wine::wine::wine:

RED WINE COMES BEFORE A GAS ATTACK:ROFLMAO:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I told you many times you're having too much...."fun"!:RollEyes:
How many women in your bed this time hey?? Dizzy? Head ache? Yeah right .... serves you right:Angry:........

Unless you had too much alcohol:Eeek: That would make some change

Moi ma cherie?

Jamais... :Nowink::Nowink:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
If the French & Spanish have so much gas to give away, why are we paying the bloody Russians so much for ours?:Doh:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Why would they use ether? If I was going to do this I would use Entonox (Gas and air) its what they give women in maternity hospitals. Its a mixture of 50% air and 50% oxygen, non-flammable, non-corrosive and 100% safe in any quantity, so no dead bodies. ::bigsmile:
Its not going to knock you out if awake, but will deepen your sleep if you are already asleep, and its readily available on the net.

Food for thought maybe?

Ian

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Why would they use ether? If I was going to do this I would use Entonox (Gas and air) its what they give women in maternity hospitals. Its a mixture of 50% air and 50% oxygen, non-flammable, non-corrosive and 100% safe in any quantity, so no dead bodies. ::bigsmile:
Its not going to knock you out if awake, but will deepen your sleep if you are already asleep, and its readily available on the net.

Food for thought maybe?

Ian

you may have a point ... but you would either need to put the mask on the sleeping occupants or fill the room with the stuff. and that would take a lorry load .. then when you enter not breathe for several minutes.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

Food for thought maybe?

Ian

Why waste money on gas when its been proven time and time and time again that once people are asleep, its easy to break into their vehicles without waking them. Doesn't make sense::bigsmile:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
... A couple of weeks ago I woke up all dizzy and disoriented with a head ache and I HADN'T been robbed...

...what does that prove?

Exactly, John....... I wake up on a lot of mornings feeling dizzy and with a headache and it is due to the combination of medication that I take. Affects about 1 in 10 according to the information strip.

Much better when I've had a drink, strangely enough - I thought I'd feel worse:Doh:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008

Food for thought maybe?

Ian

50% oxygen..... Not exactly non flammable, I would have thought

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

Food for thought maybe?

Ian

No, that's not how these gases work. In a hospital under hopefully close supervision they are pretty risk free. In an uncontrolled use people are rendered unconscious, swallow their tongue and die. Which is why these myths about gassing are rubbish. No one has died yet.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back