Motorhome Gas Attack First Hand Account (1 Viewer)

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
About six years ago my wife and I were staying in an apartment in Cannes in the south of France. We were on the second floor and as it was a hot night the bedroom window was open into the balcony. We woke up the next morning with thumping headaches minus our wallet and handbag. The thieves had the agility of monkeys and had escaped over rooftops. French plod told us in a matter of fact way that we had been gassed by a gypsy gang (Roma) who were regulars.They told us they knew who did it but could never prove it as they only took cash. They also told us they operated on trains but no mention of motorhomes!

"Woke up with thumping headaches" Strangely enough red wine has the same effect on me :Smile:.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
It's so amusing to hear all the denials about gassing ... reminds me of the ostrich syndrome. :winky:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Greetings,

Quote from the article,
" I have been a security professional most of my adult life, but I was once robbed in a hotel room while I slept. I am sure I wasn’t gassed,"

As a 'Security professional' who for thirty years was at the "sharp end" for all of that time, I can state categorically that no "Security Professional" would use the word ROBBERY when there was no force or implied force "being there and then subjected to him/her"
The real "Security Professionals" out there will know exactly what I mean by that. It's in the definition of robbery.

not that i know anything about security but i would imagine he is using this word so people like me understand, i would assume when he says robbed he means someone has stolen something from him, or is that me just being simple.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Greetings,

Quote from the article,
" I have been a security professional most of my adult life, but I was once robbed in a hotel room while I slept. I am sure I wasn’t gassed,"

As a 'Security professional' who for thirty years was at the "sharp end" for all of that time, I can state categorically that no "Security Professional" would use the word ROBBERY when there was no force or implied force "being there and then subjected to him/her"
The real "Security Professionals" out there will know exactly what I mean by that. It's in the definition of robbery.

Well I am a 'real' security professional and in that article I used the colloquial term robbed. Arrest me :RollEyes:

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
I woke up in the MH one morning in the south of France, banging headache, the whole van looked like a bomb had gone off. When I started to move around feeling quite ill I could feel several cannister type containers all around my feet......oh wait......its all becoming clear now..:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
On a serious note, I really was robbed on a campsite in Barcelona by the GP circuit. The passenger door lock was forced and the front area of the van was searched with items taken. I don't drink and I am generally a light sleeper but what with all the walking that day my guess was I was just shattered.
I shudder to think what could have happened if I woke up as between me and the robber was a draw with six steak knives in and I am still young/fit/daft enough to fight back. :Angry:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
A good friend of mine was a Scots guard on duty at Windsor, Tom could sleep anywhere. The night duty consisted in the main of standing in the centry box narrow opening on guard. Tom who was a bit of a practical joker himself had perfected a way of getting a quick nap. He would stick his bayonet into the floor and rest his arm on the but of the rifle for support.

One night he was awoken by someone behind him in the dark box tapping him on the shoulder:Smile: It was the castle police chief who had somehow squeezed through the narrow opening past Tom while Tom was guarding the castle:Blush:.
I guess he must have used a gas spray to do it. :winky:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Well, having read the 'report', I must agree with everybody, however, please read this true report of a series of occurrences from 1991, during Operation 'Desert Storm'. I know it's true, as I read a summary of the official MOD report.
British Soldier 'A' was serving with the RAMC, (medics), as an equipment technician, in a joint British/US base hospital. He was sharing a two man tent with a US dental technician. After a week or so, soldier 'A' was awaking in the mornings with terrible stomach anal pains. He reported to the medical officer, who carried out a full examination. Finding amounts of semen in the soldier, (you can guess where), the lad was arrested, and charged with 'conduct unbecoming' whilst on active service. He protested his innocence long and loud, until a sympathetic officer took notice, and decided to check the 'facts' out for himself.
It transpired that the US Soldier sharing the tent, had also been charged by the US Military Authorities, for stealing a cylinder of Nitrous oxide, (we call it laughing gas), from the dental unit he was working in, which had been found hidden in his kit during a routine inspection. The British Officer asked for the soldier to be questioned closely by the US Military Police, and it transpired that he had been waiting for his tent companion to fall asleep, then he had administered the Nitrous oxide
to him, rendering him 'out for the count', before, well, you can guess what.
Nitrous oxide is very easy and cheap to obtain. It is used 'recreationally' by people these days, and when administered in small quantities, produces the 'laughing gas' effect. However, if used on someone already in slumber, it dramatically deepens the sleep, the slightly sweet smell soon dissipates, and people so 'treated' wake up with no after effects, (unless your soldier 'A', that is).

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
In all of this one thing escapes me, WHY would any thief, gypsy , robber or whatever risk getting gassed or blown up to rob a motorhome with someone in it when all they have got to do is wait till you are out and rob your van at leisure , same with the motorway robbers, why go to all that trouble when you can just find an empty van and rob it.:Doh::Doh:

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
Well, having read the 'report', I must agree with everybody, however, please read this true report of a series of occurrences from 1991, during Operation 'Desert Storm'. I know it's true, as I read a summary of the official MOD report.
British Soldier 'A' was serving with the RAMC, (medics), as an equipment technician, in a joint British/US base hospital. He was sharing a two man tent with a US dental technician. After a week or so, soldier 'A' was awaking in the mornings with terrible stomach anal pains. He reported to the medical officer, who carried out a full examination. Finding amounts of semen in the soldier, (you can guess where), the lad was arrested, and charged with [HI]'conduct unbecoming' [/HI]whilst on active service. He protested his innocence long and loud, until a sympathetic officer took notice, and decided to check the 'facts' out for himself.
It transpired that the US Soldier sharing the tent, had also been charged by the US Military Authorities, for stealing a cylinder of Nitrous oxide, (we call it laughing gas), from the dental unit he was working in, which had been found hidden in his kit during a routine inspection. The British Officer asked for the soldier to be questioned closely by the US Military Police, and it transpired that he had been waiting for his tent companion to fall asleep, then he had administered the Nitrous oxide
Nitrous oxide is very easy and cheap to obtain. It is used 'recreationally' by people these days, and when administered in small quantities, produces the 'laughing gas' effect. However, if used on someone already in slumber, it dramatically deepens the sleep, the slightly sweet smell soon dissipates, and people so 'treated' wake up with no after effects, (unless your soldier 'A', that is).

Not so much unbecoming as, well, lets not go there! :ROFLMAO:

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
I was camping at Le Mans many years ago and returned to find my tent had been raided nothing of great value taken as most things, wallet, passport tickets etc were all with me. We had left someone to look after the stuff, four tents in all, but he had gone for a walk:whatthe: and so surprised when he came back!:Doh:
The other time was when the car window got smashed, we had just parked up and taken the dogs out for a run, about 2-300yds away when we saw a car pull up alongside ours, lad got out bricked the passenger window got in took a bag and were gone, all happened in 20 seconds.
Nothing o value taken just our lunch, but the trouble of repairing the window
Getting back to the thread, if anyone has been gas attacked then sorry for the negativity, but find it hard to believe.
Steve

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
On a serious note, I really was robbed on a campsite in Barcelona by the GP circuit. The passenger door lock was forced and the front area of the van was searched with items taken. I don't drink and I am generally a light sleeper but what with all the walking that day my guess was I was just shattered.
I shudder to think what could have happened if I woke up as between me and the robber was a draw with six steak knives in and I am still young/fit/daft enough to fight back. :Angry:

You may have well been robbed in Spain but had this happened in the UK you were of course not 'robbed' you were burgled. The Theft act of 1968 is specific, when is states something like someone having entered any building as a trespasser and steals or attempts to steal anything in the building is committing burglary. Ahh you say, but the motorhome is not a building, that is true. The Theft Act 1968 does not really help by defining a 'building' for us; However section 9(4) goes on and qualifies that this term does in fact include an "inhabited vehicle or vessel" such as a motorhome. So you were burgled not robbed.

I know all this from my 30 years at the sharp end of pedantry. ::bigsmile:

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
I can remember a radio programme some years ago...where a Spanish policeman ( with translater) said eastern europeans were using a product in an aerosol that could be bought from and motor accessory shop in any town for a couple of euros to spray inside caravans and motorhomes to induce a deeper sleep before sending kids into the vans to rob.
I actually heard the programme and it must have been radio 4.
When pushed he wouldnt give the details of the product as he said it would not be a good idea.and Ive often wondered what it could have been.
Brake cleaner was high on my list....

barry

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
You may have well been robbed in Spain but had this happened in the UK you were of course not 'robbed' you were burgled. The Theft act of 1968 is specific, when is states something like someone having entered any building as a trespasser and steals or attempts to steal anything in the building is committing burglary. Ahh you say, but the motorhome is not a building, that is true. The Theft Act 1968 does not really help by defining a 'building' for us; However section 9(4) goes on and qualifies that this term does in fact include an "inhabited vehicle or vessel" such as a motorhome. So you were burgled not robbed.

I know all this from my 30 years at the sharp end of pedantry. ::bigsmile:

You are absolutely right Jim, I was burgled at night and robbed by day..have you seen the prices at these events!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
About six years ago my wife and I were staying in an apartment in Cannes in the south of France. We were on the second floor and as it was a hot night the bedroom window was open into the balcony. We woke up the next morning with thumping headaches minus our wallet and handbag. The thieves had the agility of monkeys and had escaped over rooftops. French plod told us in a matter of fact way that we had been gassed by a gypsy gang (Roma) who were regulars.They told us they knew who did it but could never prove it as they only took cash. They also told us they operated on trains but no mention of motorhomes!

THEY MUST HAVE HAD A TANKER OUTSIDE TO FILL A FLAT WITH GAS, ESPECIALLY WITH THE WINDOWS OPEN.....BUSBY::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
While I've heard many times that the police suspect gas as a way to explain away incidents. I have never seen any evidence presented that proves it, ie empty cannisters, deaths etc. All the evidence in fact points to it being a myth.

I have just written to the British Dental Association and asked for their considered opinion on the matter. It will be interesting to see what they say.

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
The more this debate carries on the more I want to do a real life test of what is supposedly happening.
Would any of the people who say it is a safe way of gassing be prepared to lay in their MH and let me spray a can of nitrous in, all in the call of research?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
British Soldier 'A' was serving with the RAMC, (medics), as an equipment technician, in a joint British/US base hospital. He was sharing a two man tent with a US dental technician. After a week or so, soldier 'A' was awaking in the mornings with terrible stomach anal pains. He reported to the medical officer, who carried out a full examination. Finding amounts of semen in the soldier, (you can guess where), the lad was arrested, and charged with 'conduct unbecoming' whilst on active service. He protested his innocence long and loud, until a sympathetic officer took notice, and decided to check the 'facts' out for himself.

This was a qualified dental technician with access to Nitrous oxide. Am just wondering how many opportunist gipsy thieves have these qualifications and why they don't use them for the intended purpose. Of course its possible to render someone unconscious for a few hours, but why waste your skills and talent robbing motorhomes when you can earn good money as an anaesthetist.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Does anyone have any idea of what sort of 'gas' is in a pale green cylinder about 9cms. x 70cms., possibly supplied (nicked) in Spain?

A colleague and I had 'experience' of this on the coast road from Barcelona to the border one night in 2001.

The cops retrieved it from under mate's truck-cab...... AND caught the perpetrator before he left the layby :thumb::thumb:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
i think your all misunderstanding the term gassed, if your gassed in Dumfries it means Pi**ed so maybe all these people were gassed:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Biged

Free Member
Sep 21, 2012
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
No longer looking
Exp
If the robbers/thieves/burglars did in fact gas the occupants surely they would succumb to the gas when they entered? :Doh:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The "cannisters" that are allegedly used is Ether based "Easy Start" This is very corrosive, it takes the varnish off wood, melts plastic and damages perspex.

I know this from first hand as years ago (and I mean years) when I first heard about "gas attacks" we sourced an detector that would detect alleged "narcotic gasses" that we could incorporate into our Strikeback Motorhome security system.

We settled on a unit and tested it and, yes, it didn't like "Ether"

The next problem was how to demonstrate the detector? I knew that the NEC organisers wouldn't be happy with us squirting "Easy Start" all around the show.

We laboured over a large perspex fish tank, with the detector on a typical seat/dinette base typical of motorhomes and caravans, and a remotely operated dispenser to squirt a dose of "Easy Start" (similar to the device used for the Airwick aerosol air fresheners sold now)
It worked a treat. I packed up, shut down everything at work and went home. At the press of a remote "fob" a "Psst" of Ether and then the alarm sounding and lights flashing!

Next morning? Overnight, the “Easy Start” had crazed the Perspex, bloomed the woodwork and distorted the plastic on the detector and melted the plastic on the dispenser! The whole thing totally ruined! So a few questions:-

What gas do they use?

Why do the Royal College of Anaesthetists state that it can’t happen and that they are not aware of any gas that could be used that way?

Why has no one died? People die of anaesthesia related issues all the time, and that is when it administrated by a trained professional .

Why don’t the military use the same tactics?

When there are riots in Prisons, why not just squirt gas at them?

How do they get the gas in? Fridge vent? (sealed from the outside to the inside to stop carbon monoxide poisoning, and the fridge will have a pilot light (flame) which would ignite any gas squirted in) Roof vent?

What about vans with no ladders? “Ah a ladder over from an adjacent vehicle” (How long is this ladder?) (Wouldn't this look really suspicious?)

Why is it only motorhome that don’t have decent alarm systems fitted that get “gassed”

Once they have gassed you, how do they get in?

And once they’re in, Why don’t the thieves fall asleep as well?

How come Dad, aged 45 (weighing 16 stone) Mum aged 41 (weighing 10 stone) Duane aged 12 (9 stone) and little Kylie Chardonnay, aged 6 (weighing 8 stone) all are effected by the same concentration of “knock out” gas? When a fully qualified anaesthetist, calculates how long and how deep your anaesthesia will be, he or she will take the age, health and weight in consideration. Suddenly some random bloke, can squirt an unknown gas, into a void of unknown dimensions, and a range of people with completely differing health conditions, ages and weights are all simultaneously put to sleep with no serious side effects! Even “Trixie” aged 3 (2Kg) the Yorkshire Terrier!

I do sell gas alarms, one’s that detect a range of gasses. I think that it makes a lot of sense to have a gas detector that will warn you of the very real threat of an LPG leak. Think about how many gas appliances that you have in your motorhome? How many gas connections? Just think about a gas explosion in a confined space!

Gas in a house is regulated much more tightly, yet with a motorhome, it’s not regulated, but the system is regularly picked up and shaken as you drive down the road. The risks are very real and potentially deadly.

This is why every RV from the States has a gas detector, or gas detection system fitted. It is Federal Law in the states.

People agonise over reversed polarity for example which isn’t anywhere near the threat to life that some purport but drive around with a ticking time bomb in their motorhomes in the way of on board gas, with no detector to warn when there is a problem.

Oh , yes, as an aside, should any dickhead be stupid enough to try and squirt “Easy Start” in a “copy cat” move, in my van, the gas detectors we sell, detect a range of gasses. These include the gasses that could be considered “narcotic”

The gas detector will sound, which is linked into Strikeback, so all hell will be let loose, and no one will sleep through our systems.

So the miscreant will run a very real risk of having the “Easy Start” inserted ;-)

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
According to the colour codes used by most European countries including Spain, a light green bottle is an inert gas, usually argon I believe.
Could just have been a proprietary can of butane or ether for starting.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Gassing :Doh::Doh:

Never ceases to amaze me that this myth rears its ugly head every few months and can attract so many pages of replies.

How can any semi intelligent person actually take the word of some numpty they meet down the pub or on a campsite over the Royal College of Anaesthetists :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

No wonder con men and scammers make such a good living eh!!! some people will believe anything. Reminds me of this [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZYzbkk5X4M"]Danny Kaye - Hans Christian Andersen - YouTube[/ame]

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
The "cannisters" that are allegedly used is Ether based "Easy Start" This is very corrosive, it takes the varnish off wood, melts plastic and damages perspex.

I know this from first hand as years ago (and I mean years) when I first heard about "gas attacks" we sourced an detector that would detect alleged "narcotic gasses" that we could incorporate into our Strikeback Motorhome security system.

We settled on a unit and tested it and, yes, it didn't like "Ether"

The next problem was how to demonstrate the detector? I knew that the NEC organisers wouldn't be happy with us squirting "Easy Start" all around the show.

We laboured over a large perspex fish tank, with the detector on a typical seat/dinette base typical of motorhomes and caravans, and a remotely operated dispenser to squirt a dose of "Easy Start" (similar to the device used for the Airwick aerosol air fresheners sold now)
It worked a treat. I packed up, shut down everything at work and went home. At the press of a remote "fob" a "Psst" of Ether and then the alarm sounding and lights flashing!

Next morning? Overnight, the “Easy Start” had crazed the Perspex, bloomed the woodwork and distorted the plastic on the detector and melted the plastic on the dispenser! The whole thing totally ruined! So a few questions:-

What gas do they use?

Why do the Royal College of Anaesthetists state that it can’t happen and that they are not aware of any gas that could be used that way?

Why has no one died? People die of anaesthesia related issues all the time, and that is when it administrated by a trained professional .

Why don’t the military use the same tactics?

When there are riots in Prisons, why not just squirt gas at them?

How do they get the gas in? Fridge vent? (sealed from the outside to the inside to stop carbon monoxide poisoning, and the fridge will have a pilot light (flame) which would ignite any gas squirted in) Roof vent?

What about vans with no ladders? “Ah a ladder over from an adjacent vehicle” (How long is this ladder?) (Wouldn't this look really suspicious?)

Why is it only motorhome that don’t have decent alarm systems fitted that get “gassed”

Once they have gassed you, how do they get in?

And once they’re in, Why don’t the thieves fall asleep as well?

How come Dad, aged 45 (weighing 16 stone) Mum aged 41 (weighing 10 stone) Duane aged 12 (9 stone) and little Kylie Chardonnay, aged 6 (weighing 8 stone) all are effected by the same concentration of “knock out” gas? When a fully qualified anaesthetist, calculates how long and how deep your anaesthesia will be, he or she will take the age, health and weight in consideration. Suddenly some random bloke, can squirt an unknown gas, into a void of unknown dimensions, and a range of people with completely differing health conditions, ages and weights are all simultaneously put to sleep with no serious side effects! Even “Trixie” aged 3 (2Kg) the Yorkshire Terrier!

I do sell gas alarms, one’s that detect a range of gasses. I think that it makes a lot of sense to have a gas detector that will warn you of the very real threat of an LPG leak. Think about how many gas appliances that you have in your motorhome? How many gas connections? Just think about a gas explosion in a confined space!

Gas in a house is regulated much more tightly, yet with a motorhome, it’s not regulated, but the system is regularly picked up and shaken as you drive down the road. The risks are very real and potentially deadly.

This is why every RV from the States has a gas detector, or gas detection system fitted. It is Federal Law in the states.

People agonise over reversed polarity for example which isn’t anywhere near the threat to life that some purport but drive around with a ticking time bomb in their motorhomes in the way of on board gas, with no detector to warn when there is a problem.

Oh , yes, as an aside, should any dickhead be stupid enough to try and squirt “Easy Start” in a “copy cat” move, in my van, the gas detectors we sell, detect a range of gasses. These include the gasses that could be considered “narcotic”

The gas detector will sound, which is linked into Strikeback, so all hell will be let loose, and no one will sleep through our systems.

So the miscreant will run a very real risk of having the “Easy Start” inserted ;-)

And there it is, in a nutshell :thumb:

mta

Free Member
Oct 21, 2013
nuneaton
Funster No
MH
Carado T138
Exp
since 2000
I'm new to this forum, just paid subs so hello to all.
wrt this alleged"gassing", I'm ex forces and a biology teacher of 30 years and I have to say that Eddievanbitz is spot on, can't fault anything he has said. I can address some of his points but none of which would affect the outcome of his discourse. A good summation, well done.:winky:
Regards to all
Martyn

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back