lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I have noticed the garage doors on my motorhome are getting slightly stiff and something in my head tells me your not meant to use oil to lubricate them. If this is correct what should I use or is it a certain type of oil.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
If they have nylon (or similar) bushes surrounding the hinge pins, DO NOT use WD40 or similar. It will cause the bushes to swell and make the problem worse. After putting up with stiff hinges and squeaking in dry weather for a few years, I removed the habitation and main garage doors, dismantled the hinges and smeared the pins with silicon grease (available from plumbers for easing pipe joints) then reassembled everything. All good so far (almost one year on).

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I use spray grease. Its easier to use and not as messy as a grease gun. I use it on the electric step mechanism and all door hinges, including the garage door. It does not dry out like oil.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Nylon absorbs any wet lubricant no matter what ( I know this from having to deal with many many issues caused by the phenomenon, most commonly people trying to lube bowden cables with nylon liners and fork sliders on some of the small 'monkey bikes' )

If you really want to lubricate anything made of nylon, a dry film type lube is really the only option

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back