bridgedino

Free Member
Sep 13, 2020
Fife
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We have been looking at changing our current motorhome. Really like the idea of having a garage.

Been out and about at a few dealers and it seems to be the norm that the garage doors are unlockied with the black rotating locks and then pull them to open it. No sign of dedicated handles.

How well do these black lock mechanisms stand up to being pulled and used as handles as well as the locks? Are they robust? Thanks

jako999

Free Member
Mar 21, 2021
Halesowen
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff
Exp
Depending on what you go for all doors work fine but I much prefer upper opening ones then the side opening ones they always seem to blow shut on you and if you have a top opening door you can put wires across inside and it makes a great dryer.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Depending on what you go for all doors work fine but I much prefer upper opening ones then the side opening ones they always seem to blow shut on you and if you have a top opening door you can put wires across inside and it makes a great dryer.
Top opening ones have thier own problems you can't open them far enough if parked close on an Aire to get at the contents .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Side opening on ours have had no issues re hinge dropping. Just make sure you have sufficient protection to stop the door acting as a massive sail and swinging open at force when caught by a gust when not under control. This happened to us and it swung back with such force that it caused damage to the door frame causing it to allow water in. ( repaired now) We have a piece of strong cord that prevents the doors from fully opening against itself but can be removed when necessary. This stops the door from ever reaching its maximum opening arch and beyond.

OP
OP
bridgedino

bridgedino

Free Member
Sep 13, 2020
Fife
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
02ED68CC-BD67-4BD2-8BB6-E0030DA4E838.jpeg

OP
OP
bridgedino

bridgedino

Free Member
Sep 13, 2020
Fife
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Its these style, just wondered how robust they are long term, being used to pull open a snug fitting garage door

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Its these style, just wondered how robust they are long term, being used to pull open a snug fitting garage door
In my experience this sort (above) are fine and will virtually last for ever. Our last van was a benimar though and, like all Trigano offering at the time (2014) used a type that was rubbish (salino). They would just fly off randomly when a bit of plastic inside snapped under tension of the spring. I noted that all benimars since 2015 have a modified type. These were the offending articles. I changed 2 myself in the 3 years we had the van. One flew off with so much gusto it ended in next doors garden.

1620812999524.png

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We have those on our 2015 model Hymer. They have been no trouble at all. I like the fact that they pull the door well in against the double seals (one on door the other on the frame) which means we have not had any leaks through the doors.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I know what you mean, and agree, generally, but a top opening door fell onto my right hand breaking three bones in the back of my hand.

After remarking, “oh, dear, that was quite painful”, (or words to that effect), a visit to A&E and several weeks of “discomfort “ followed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back