Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
Well done Paul, despite the lack of training. Illness is such a drag and there's nobody worse to live with than a grumpy athlete. That's what my missus says anyhow....:ROFLMAO:

When is the race in Wales? Sounds intriguing, I like to get somewhere different.

I signed up for Bolton 10K last week, it's 21st April, a good fast race around my schoolboy cross county park, hosted by Bolton Harriers.

Well done Gerry! You're on the mend. Don't push too hard eh?
Five weeks to Blackpool now. I bagged another 60 miles last week, despite it being a busy time workwise. Missed the long run today though, big job on tomorrow...:Eeek:

Andy.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
:Sad:paul, sorry if this not the right place to post this; I don't think it is really, but last night I couldn't sleep for thinking about the family of that man who disappeared. You won't believe how often I think about them and what they must be going through without closure. Please would you let them know that people still think about them and havn't forgotten them. Thank you.

Sorry, back to thread.

Paul, Janine just told me he was found. I am so sorry that this wasn't a happy ending but a least now the family can continue with the grieving process. So very very sad. Joy

Not at all Joy.

Actually, I was going to post on his thread I started a while back. The weekend of the Chester meet will be a year on from when he went missing.
Janine & Barrie kindly played at our awards ceremony a few weeks ago where much of the night was in memory to John.
Im sure she would be the first to tell you that the support of the club given to his family has been extra special. His wife Lynda is simply amazing throughout.

The run I ran today was the last race I ran with John before he left on his ill fated marathon. So it was with mixed emotions running this event.

No one thinks that a simple pass time like running can lead to the loss of a life, but it can.

Paul

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Well done Paul, despite the lack of training. Illness is such a drag and there's nobody worse to live with than a grumpy athlete. That's what my missus says anyhow....:ROFLMAO:

When is the race in Wales? Sounds intriguing, I like to get somewhere different.

I signed up for Bolton 10K last week, it's 21st April, a good fast race around my schoolboy cross county park, hosted by Bolton Harriers.

Well done Gerry! You're on the mend. Don't push too hard eh?
Five weeks to Blackpool now. I bagged another 60 miles last week, despite it being a busy time workwise. Missed the long run today though, big job on tomorrow...:Eeek:

Andy.

Hi andy, the race in Wales in 16th March. Im going down in the camper with Nikki. all the others are watching rugby :Doh:

Only thing is, it's a 1pm start, not something Ive tried before, its a bit odd knowing when to eat.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2010
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi, I've done that race 3 times. I always used it as one of my longest runs before London. The worst thing is missing the rugby - it's always on super Saturday. The big hill is a killer- I've you've got good eyes you can see the lead car miles ahead and there are several false summits. I don't mean to put you off (hehehe) it really is a spectacular run. Managed to get inside 3 hours the last time then promptly went down with a chest infection before London. Get the big hill out of the way and it rolls around the lakes. Enjoy ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Hi, I've done that race 3 times. I always used it as one of my longest runs before London. The worst thing is missing the rugby - it's always on super Saturday. The big hill is a killer- I've you've got good eyes you can see the lead car miles ahead and there are several false summits. I don't mean to put you off (hehehe) it really is a spectacular run. Managed to get inside 3 hours the last time then promptly went down with a chest infection before London. Get the big hill out of the way and it rolls around the lakes. Enjoy ::bigsmile:

Hi Jill how far is it till the hill?

Thought you said you were slow !!!!! I will be aiming for 3-30 :Blush:most of all though, the way i feel
today I am hoping to finish :Doh:

Jan 19, 2010
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
I am slow now. Last time I did it was 5 years ago. Iirc you do a lap of the town then head out. This hill is approximately between miles 3 & 7. I always held a bit back until I reached the top then it's a mile or so down before a yumpy (?) remainder. Plenty of water stations and a sniper photographer last time I did it.:roflmto: good luck

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
Good luck with the race next week then Paul, at least afternoon jaunts are not too early a start.::bigsmile: I think I'd go with a normal pre-race breakfast, whatever you are used to, followed by a mid morning booster snack.

I won't be home by next weekend, though the following week looks a possibility, not building hopes too high yet.:RollEyes:

Nailed another 20 miler today, 150 mins. That's six in the bag now, the recommended minimum in the schedule. Blackpool in four weeks, home just in time for the taper?:thumb:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Good luck Des.

Just bagged a 15 miler today, killed me really but done 10 mm all the way which is good for me.

I have a small injury but seems ok when I run. Finishing next week is my goal, nothing more nothing less, especially as Jill told me about the hills :Eeek:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Well, we're back from Rhayader in Wales.

What a fantastic run, a very small field of 250 due to the rugby I suspect and the 1pm start.

It was like Gill said, but tougher.

The course was really hilly, especially for us Cheshire runners where by the slope on a drop kerb at a driveway is a hill. :Blush:.

We set off with an immediate hill to get up before running off on the first 3 miles. Miles 3 to about 7 were uphill UPHILL and then UPHILL..... after that there was some lovely downhill but very steep downhill. From then on you were either running uphill or downhill but never on the flat.
Added to this was the atrocious weather, hail stones so big they hurt when they hit you, this prevented you from looking straight ahead as they burnt your face forcing you too look nowhere but at your feet. This eventually turned to snow which settled as Ice on the road making the course slippery.

However, I have never ever ran such a beautiful race in such a beautiful part of the world. It was truly stunning, my time of 3-46 was disappointing, but I practically blew up at mile 16 and entered in to a walk 1 min run 2 min and watched in dismay as i kept getting overtaken.
However, I wasn't last, 17 behind me, and having been away skiing, being ill and training very little, to get around at all was a bonus. :thumb:

Deffinately going back next year for another crack, bit more training though I suspect. :thumb:

Jan 19, 2010
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Well done, you! Weather sounded like it made a challenging race impossible. Did they warn you in the race blurb to be prepared for all conditions :Smile:

We were in Newport yesterday and it varied between very warm sunshine and torrential rain. We managed a swiftish 8 1/2 in between showers. I can't find my Garmin, now and its really bugging me as I'm a bit OCD about logging my runs. I've almost torn the camper apart looking for it :Sad:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Well done, you! Weather sounded like it made a challenging race impossible. Did they warn you in the race blurb to be prepared for all conditions :Smile:

We were in Newport yesterday and it varied between very warm sunshine and torrential rain. We managed a swiftish 8 1/2 in between showers. I can't find my Garmin, now and its really bugging me as I'm a bit OCD about logging my runs. I've almost torn the camper apart looking for it :Sad:

Have you a smart phone Jill?

I use Runkeeper on my smart phone, works great and you can join the running community with it. :thumb:

The weather was really weird, at the start it was 8 degrees and sunny, I had words with Nikki as I didnt want to take my OMM jacket. She insisted and won, others went out in shorts and T shirts, many never came back :Sad: sorry I mean came back in Marshalls cars. :Smile: My OMM kept me dry although my leggings were wet through causing muscle freeze, but these old legs hung in there. ::bigsmile:

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007

What a fantastic run, a very small field of 250 due to the rugby I suspect and the 1pm start.

The course was really hilly, especially for us Cheshire runners where by the slope on a drop kerb at a driveway is a hill. :Blush:.

We set off with an immediate hill to get up before running off on the first 3 miles. Miles 3 to about 7 were uphill UPHILL and then UPHILL..... after that there was some lovely downhill but very steep downhill. From then on you were either running uphill or downhill but never on the flat.
Added to this was the atrocious weather, hail stones so big they hurt when they hit you, this prevented you from looking straight ahead as they burnt your face forcing you too look nowhere but at your feet. This eventually turned to snow which settled as Ice on the road making the course slippery.

However, I have never ever ran such a beautiful race in such a beautiful part of the world. It was truly stunning, my time of 3-46 was disappointing, but I practically blew up at mile 16 and entered in to a walk 1 min run 2 min and watched in dismay as i kept getting overtaken.
However, I wasn't last, 17 behind me, and having been away skiing, being ill and training very little, to get around at all was a bonus. :thumb:

Deffinately going back next year for another crack, bit more training though I suspect. :thumb:

Good on ya fella:thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
::bigsmile:

Attachments

• 577947_595355933826142_90954715_n.jpg
    577947_595355933826142_90954715_n.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 22

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Well done Paul sounds like a very challenging race.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Have you a smart phone Jill?

I use Runkeeper on my smart phone, works great and you can join the running community with it. :thumb:

The weather was really weird, at the start it was 8 degrees and sunny, I had words with Nikki as I didnt want to take my OMM jacket. She insisted and won, others went out in shorts and T shirts, many never came back :Sad: sorry I mean came back in Marshalls cars. :Smile: My OMM kept me dry although my leggings were wet through causing muscle freeze, but these old legs hung in there. ::bigsmile:

Well done Paul.:thumb:

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
Terrific race report Paul and well done.::bigsmile:
Sounded a grueller and well done on you missus for sending you out covered up.:thumb:
Just feeling more than a tad jealous of your outdoor pursuit, another week of treading the mill here.:Sad:
Heading home from Genoa, arrival next weekend!:Cool:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011

Well done, it sounds like a tough one. I was marshalling in similar weather, would definitely rather have been running, was numb from the cold by the end.

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
Two weeks to Blackpool Marathon so completed the final long training run today, 39km in 3 hours on the treadmill and finished strong...::bigsmile:

That's the good news. So there we were last week up in Novorossiysk, Black Sea Russia. Loaded up with 30,000 tonnes of gas oil and heading to Genoa where my relief would be out to take over, would have arrived today.:Smile:

We cruised out of the Black Sea, past Istanbul, were just passing the Greek Isles and the charterers had the audacity to divert us. Head t'Egypt.:Eeek:
So now we're swinging around the pick off Alexandria, the receivers of the cargo are the Egyptian government and they haven't coughed up for the cargo yet....:Angry:
No reliefs are going to happen here due to the "disturbances" so getting home for Easter looks unlikely and the race is looking a tad precarious.:Sad:

Might try my luck for a place in the London Marathon a couple of weeks later, it'll be a charity place though, could be passing my cap around for donations...:winky:

Hey ho, at least it's sunny here....:Cool:
Life in the fast lane...:thumb:

Jan 19, 2010
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Two weeks to Blackpool Marathon so completed the final long training run today, 39km in 3 hours on the treadmill and finished strong...::bigsmile:

That's the good news. So there we were last week up in Novorossiysk, Black Sea Russia. Loaded up with 30,000 tonnes of gas oil and heading to Genoa where my relief would be out to take over, would have arrived today.:Smile:

We cruised out of the Black Sea, past Istanbul, were just passing the Greek Isles and the charterers had the audacity to divert us. Head t'Egypt.:Eeek:
So now we're swinging around the pick off Alexandria, the receivers of the cargo are the Egyptian government and they haven't coughed up for the cargo yet....:Angry:
No reliefs are going to happen here due to the "disturbances" so getting home for Easter looks unlikely and the race is looking a tad precarious.:Sad:

Might try my luck for a place in the London Marathon a couple of weeks later, it'll be a charity place though, could be passing my cap around for donations...:winky:

Hey ho, at least it's sunny here....:Cool:
Life in the fast lane...:thumb:

Fair play, 39k on the treadmill - well done. How do you not get bored?

Are you after a fast marathon? There's one down here in west Wales the same day as London in Llanelli. I'm not sure if its booked up or what the limit is but it might be an alternative to raising megabucks :Eeek:

I did 9 miles today so I'm ready for next week's Teifi 10 miler :thumb: and just downloaded my Garmin have discovered that the last time I clocked up this many miles in a month was 6 years ago ::bigsmile: (with a week left)

Jill

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Well done with the training Andy shame about the race, why not join me for the Edinburgh marathon on the 26 or 27 th of May cant remember which it's the Sunday. The race is closed but loads of people on the Edinburgh Marathon Facebook page looking to transfer. We will be staying at a campsite just one mile from end and at the 10m also.

Still hoping to do B/pool half but looks like its full.

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
Hi Jill, thanks for the "heads up" on Llanelli, I'm going to have a look round. Fully loaded i-pod to beat the monotony, plus the machine faces a port hole. Was watching the sun glistening on the wavelets yesterday, so was pretty chilled really. Well done with your miles!::bigsmile:

Hey Gerry, good option on Edinburgh but I've gone and booked and got a place in the BUPA Manchester 10K for that weekend. It's a massive event and not cheap. Never done it though so wanted to tick it off....:thumb:

Still no sign of moving here...:Angry:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Strange But True

My shoe laces froze solid while running yesterday! Have ran in worst conditions than this but never had frozen laces! Frozen hair and eyelashes but not laces! :whatthe:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 9

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
Looks very picturesque ATW... and freekin' cold...:Eeek:
Well done for getting out there.:Cool:
You got decent trail shoes?

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
They are not bad Addidas Kanadia but they are pretty worn out now. The trouble was they were still wet from the run the day before, the laces froze solid.
Sounds like you are having fun out there in the Middle East!

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
Okay, I've got a pair of those, good on grass.:thumb:
These were my "Christmas Shoes", sat at home ready for next leave, Salomon Speedcross III. The Salomon range are the biz when it comes to off road I reckon.:Smile:
The last pair were black, won't take too long for these to lose their colour either...:ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• vcm_s_kf_repr_832x624.jpg
    vcm_s_kf_repr_832x624.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 7
Jan 19, 2010
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Okay, I've got a pair of those, good on grass.:thumb:
These were my "Christmas Shoes", sat at home ready for next leave, Salomon Speedcross III. The Salomon range are the biz when it comes to off road I reckon.:Smile:
The last pair were black, won't take too long for these to lose their colour either...:ROFLMAO:

Ooh, very bling!

I've got kanadias too, and inov8 for the really tricky stuff in a nice shade of mud :)

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Kanadias here too,,,
Great value IMO

All trail shoes give me blisters though:Sad:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Oh my goodness DesRes, you have seriously got to get those shoes dirty and quick!:Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back