lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Well done Paul i did a 11mile run yesterday and knee was a lot better still a bit sore but it is recovering a lot quicker every time i run so think this means its getting better.

Worse than the knee though woke up this morning with the start of a cold so hope that comes to nothing. Next 2 weeks is mainly rest from running with a bit of x training to keep legs moving oh and a game of golf at Turnberry on tuesday.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
No worries Paul i have a plan :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I am following a rough plan and tapering has already started will be replacing the odd run though with x training just to cut the chance of injuring the knee.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Well just to let you know i have come through my first marathon feeling ok bit sore here and there and 2 toenails hanging off but still feeling good about my run.
I was hoping for just under 4hours and was right on time until i crossed the 20mile mark then it took me 1hr 12 to do last 6 miles i think the scorching heat had something to do with that and i have now got a time to beat if i do another.

Legs are a wee bit stiff today and im on a 12 hour dayshift so loads of fun there :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

Gerry

P.S.

How was your run Paul

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
It was roasting Jill reports say it was 22 but much warmer than that id say about 25-27 Sophie had read on a thermometter it was 25 and that was about miday i finished just after 14.00 but must say i loved it and the feeling when you cross that line.

I was on target for my sub 4 hours right up to 20mile at 3.01.00 my target was 3hours there just struggled with the heat after that and really drained even though i carried water and took some at every station i was still dehydrated and didnt go to the toilet till 22.30 that was from 9am :ROFLMAO:

Gerry

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Well went and did it tonight went along to the local running club, a very nice bunch indeed enjoyed my first run with them and will give it another go.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Well dont know if its the 2 training runs i had with the running club, whatever it was it worked as i just did my PB this morning for 10K my previous was 51.12 i managed 47.50 today so well chuffed and need to try and break 45 now :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Well done Gerry great time ....

I'm yet to break 50 but done a 40 min 5 miler

Probably due to my midnight coaching though nOt joining a running club :winky:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
You could be right Paul as it gave me a way to channel my anger :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Maybe get you to phone me before next marathon see if i get under 4 hours.

Gerry

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
How is the running going folks not heard much about it in the last few weeks, i am now a regular at Dumfries Harriers and enjoying it very much. Now looking for my next challenge thinking of doing the 10k in Glasgow on 2nd of sept as this was the first race i done last year.

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
A running thread! Thought I had fallen into the wrong forum for a mo...I'm an occasional contributer on the RW site.:thumb:
Recovering from injury here at the moment, torn right calf. It's been two months and still not right. Just about managing 10k now before it starts pulling so on the mend but it will be a while yet. Have signed up for Liverpool Marathon mid October but the way things are going it will be just a jog round....:Sad:
A bit of serious running going on here.
Well done Gerry on your marathon! Edinburgh? I did that in 2011, it's always the final six miles!:Eeek:
Ultra running Haganap? Respect, I've not got past the Marathon.
Well done Jill on your speed...::bigsmile:
This year has been a disaster, I was race ready and on the taper for The Greater Manchester Marathon and then went down with flu two weeks before, it went to my chest and I could hardly breath by race day. So ditched that and signed up for Windermere three weeks later, then pulled the calf, gutted.:cry: Spent £90 on entry fees for nothing with that lot!

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
Anybody racing this weekend?:Cool:
Managed 10k painfree yesterday so leg's on the mend.:thumb:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Not Racing this week Des, Still training, Ran the Pie & peas cross country run on Wednesday night and done ok for a cross country course. Last weekend I done another Peake district mini marathon (orienteering event) and done really well.
Out for a 10 miler tomorrow with the club. Next weekend it's the Crossbay challenge in Morcome. 13 miles across the bay before the tide comes in. We are going up there with the club and camping for the weekend.

Then it's off to Prague and the Hars mountains for a couple of weeks but only after having done a 20 miler as my final training run. Then it's on my bike, playing as Bradley Wiggins doing 20-40 miles per day through the Hars Mountains to try and stay fit whilst, eating too much and drinking too much. On return, I have about 3 weeks before the first of my Marathons, The Pilgrims Way Marathon, a tough hilly run along the old Pilgrims way in Surrey.

:thumb:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Anybody racing this weekend?:Cool:
Managed 10k painfree yesterday so leg's on the mend.:thumb:

Well done des hopefully thats you on the mend now, no races for me just now as really busy hopefully will be doing the Glasgow 10k on the 2nd of sept then the Dumfries 10k on the 5th if any of you fancy it theres a free space at mine for MH and the Isle of Cumbrae 10 mile race the following week.

I have been looking to see what my next challenge will be as i liked the training and running the marathon i think i will look for another endurance test so need to sign up for one soon, a couple from the running club just done the Mont Blanc marathon now that looks like a challenge as the winner took just under 4hours also had a look at the Glasgow to Edinburgh double marathon on April the 6th which just happens to be our anniversary, will see how the running goes over the next month or two before deciding.

Hi Paul
Busy few weeks coming up for you hope the training goes well for all the events.
Gerry

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
Hi Gerry,
That Isle of Cumbrae race sounds very appealing and thanks for the invite. I work away, merchant navy, and am on my ship until mid September, so no racing until then. All my running is currently treadmill, in the ship's gym, apart from occasional chances ashore.
Glasgow to Edinburgh eh? Phew!

That's some schedule haganap! Good luck with it all. Morcombe sounds fun, as does the Pilgrim way. I love the trail type races, cross county is hardcore!

Gonna try another 10k later, calf is holding out so long as I don't try and go too fast. Freakin' frustrating.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi not heard much from you lot lately hope your still running and fighting fit.
Desres i had to work night shift so didn't do the Isle of Cumbrae 10mile, did manage to do the Dumfries 10k though and got another PB 47.36 so slowly coming down, thats 4 mins off in 1 year since my first 10k.

Not seen or heard much from haggers think he did have a busy schedule though so hope the training is going well
Gerry

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
Hi Gerry,

Congratulations on your 10k pb! Shame about the 10 miler and that work gets in the way, though I do know what you mean. I work on a ship, should be home by now and piling miles prepping for Liverpool Marathon. As it is I might just get home in time for the taper! We're currently alongside in Croatia and I managed to get ashore for a 10 mile trail run this afternoon. First time here at a small place called Ploce and the scenery is stunning.:thumb:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Yes work does get in the way. Glad to hear your still able to get off the boat and have a run must be a lot nicer running in Croatia than a wet Scotland. Well good luck with the Liverpool run and let us know how you do.

Gerry

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
Liverpool Marathon yesterday! 3hrs 21min 06 secs, (chip time), 195th overall, 15th V50.
Pretty pleased since I only got off the ship last Thursday and managed just one road run before the race. 90% of the training for this was done on the treadmill.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
thats a great time really well done think i might need to start working on ships if thats what it does for you. Im currently in florida and have been out for a couple of runs in the mornings slightly warmer than scotland

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
Wesham 10k yesterday, Lea Town just North of Preston. Real runners club event so a quality field, 360 runners. Just scraped a sub 40 min finish with 39:55 and came in 60th male. Respect to the V80 chap that finished it in 57:31. Winner was from Salford Harriers and he ran it in 32:17, phew!

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
pahhh,

if you can run a 10k in that time your an athlete ::bigsmile:

if you can run a 10k, (my pb ) is on 49.54 then head for the mountains. :roflmto:

looking forward to my January ultra run around Anglessy although i have issues with bloody shin splints and IT band since running the track marathon a few weeks ago. 105 laps of a running track bloody hurt.....:cry:

Tomorrow night im heading up a club torchlight run up over the mountains but only 7 miles. next weekend Im running in Church stretton, the Cardington Cracker or known as the Cardiac "a" cracker very hilly 9 miler on a route used to train the SAS :Blush: 2 hours is a good time apparently, will let you know :Eeek:

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
Thanks for that! I only run for Fun, but was blessed with some natural talent from an early age. Ran for Bolton Cross Country Team as a school boy then did a bit of racing at college. Three of us from college ran in the 1983 Gillette London Marathon, happy days, I was 20.
Funny how things happen, since after that I did not race for 25 years, too busy working, partying and having a family. It was about 4 years ago that I did a bit of training on the treadmill at work, came home and ran my first recent 10k race in 42 mins something...
I got that down to 38:30 last year so anything under 40 mins I'm happy with. Hit the V50 in September so just planning on maintaining the speed and fitness. Heading for Garstang next Sunday for "Guy's 10 mile" road race. Longterm, booked a place in Blackpool Marathon next Spring.
I've looked at the endurance stuff Haganap, the Angelsey one appeals but I'll be back on the ship come January. There are some real good trail races these days. I've done the Salomon Rivington 1/2 Marathon a couple of times, spectacular...I've no mountain experience but there are plenty hills where I live. If you look at "Parbold Hill Race", that's my local and it's a good bit of muddy fun...
What amazes me is just how competetive the "Vets" can be!
I guess you are now looking at a sub 45min 10k now Gerry, since knocking 4 mins of the previous PB it must be in you!:thumb:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Yes would love to get it under 45 and then try for 40 I'm certainly not blessed with running talent:ROFLMAO:, we have a guy at the harriers who is 52 not the most athletic looking and can run 10k in under 37mins. I have entered two marathons so far next year Edinburgh and Berlin and hoping if all goes well to do an ultra. I have also thought about doing the Blackpool marathon and possibly a few more will see nearer the time.
I am currently out injured don't know if you noticed my post about learning to swim, well I have hurt my back/hip due to such a bad stroke :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. Should be back running this week and going to go for a swimming lesson as I'm still drowning :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Ive not got anything planned other than Anglessey in January and this weekends race. I may have to just cut the distance for a few months as I have a couple of niggles that are just doing my head in, :Angry:

I will never run a 10k in them speeds no matter what effort I put in. However I have achieved a PB at every distance I have ran this year.

Nikki is not keen on me doing any more marathons next year as she says I always look about to die when she watches me over the line. I have agreed to not do anything over 20 miles and am looking at hill runs and fell runs, dirt cheap, can go in the van, get muddy and enjoy.

Im not competetive, only with my self, In fact they have gotten used to me being safety runner with the club as I can plod around at the back making sure no one is injured. As soon as my leg heals a bit though, I am going to go big time to beat my Pb at one of the park runs.

3 mile runs at ukparkrun.co.uk all over the country and massive fun on a Saturday morning and free:thumb: all you have to do is register. I would think at your age iwth those times Des you would be right up the top. :Cool:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
this is me running the extremely tough Cardington Cracker at the weekend. Supported by fellow Funsters the Bungy's this was one tough fell race. I came last in my category 9 from last overall field of 200, but think the completion of such a tough race is the key and am really proud of myself. This is one tough muther, most of the uphills were on all fours and climbing, some of which a rope would of been more suited. Deffinately one to put on your bucket list.
Next up the Anglessy trail run.

Link Removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH