Motorhome fun rescue scheme? (1 Viewer)

Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
Sounds like a good idea BUT !! A few years back a mate died suddenly in Spain, I offered to bring his van back but ran into problems straight away, the van was registered in his name and that meant there would have been problems with probate etc so I was told and also insurance difficulties.

I phoned the caravan club for advice but they just didn't have a clue but the widow did manage to get them to bring it home on a low loader despite not having Red Pennant insurance, I never did ask her what it cost.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Sounds like a good idea BUT !! A few years back a mate died suddenly in Spain, I offered to bring his van back but ran into problems straight away, the van was registered in his name and that meant there would have been problems with probate etc so I was told and also insurance difficulties.

I phoned the caravan club for advice but they just didn't have a clue but the widow did manage to get them to bring it home on a low loader despite not having Red Pennant insurance, I never did ask her what it cost.

There always will be some difficulties that are insurmountable but really the whole point is that help can be offered relatively quickly by someone who at least has half an idea of what is actually involved. If at the end of the day we can't help, at least they're no worse off - although even just a sympathetic ear can make a world of difference.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I would have thought that the Executors role would be to secure the assets of the deceased. The Executors also have to obtain probate. However a letter of permission should have been adequate for any authorities challenging you as the driver and not the registered keeper of the vehicle. Otherwise how do people cope with driving leased and company cars abroad. They have a letter of authority from the employer and from the leasing company. Perhaps the issue was one of insurance in that the policy ceased on the death on the insured and could not be renewed until Probate was obtained but I can't believe that that is right or reasonable.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I think a combination of the two main ideas would be the ideal solution.
1) A dedicated SOS pinned thread on the forum, members can add it to their watched list, then even if they cannot help with a request they could bump it a few times a day to keep it in view.

2) a small list of contact numbers (volunteers) who could post a request on a Funsters behalf in case they hadn't got access to wifi etc. This of course relies on funster no.1 telling their parter where the list is kept, ie in glove box, sun visor.

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
With respect you will find that one thing that we don't have on fun is trolls believe me they would not last long without the need to point them out.

The story about the body part and funster is true and it was amazing the help that was freely given.
(y)(y)(y)

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp

I always post in bold

It doesn't matter what recovery or repatriation scheme we had in place. If something had happened to me my wife would have been alone waiting for someone on the end of a phone to organise help.

Disabled, unable to drive, reach the toilet unaided, feed herself etc.

Given the numbers on here it is possible/likely that someone might be nearby able to help quickly.

An SOS call or alert to FUN could have made a stressful episode a little easier for her

It's not about insurance or recovery.........it's about help

(y)(y)(y)

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Fantastic idea,count me in,any area any country really as long as I'm not away on tour at the time being retired means I can be available at any time so to speak,as mentioned elsewhere in this thread you pay my flight and any other out of pocket exp-
enses and if your m/home is stuck or stranded in France/Spain or anywhere in this country then it would be peace of mind to know that a likeminded person would be bringing your m/home back and treating/driving it the way you would drive it yourself,rather than some moron who just gets behind the wheel and puts his foot to the floor to get the job done asap so's they can get on to the next one,this could be ideal,if,god forbid someone had a heart attack or similar in one part of the country and lived the opposite end,at least they wouldn't have to worry about there pride and joy being winched on to the back of a breakdown truck and the rear skirt getting half torn off in the process,we've all seen it,I'll leave it at that,it's a sound idea.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
That's the attitude I like,a can do it,not yes BUT, when someone's in trouble negative attitudes are not really helpful, even though they think they're be helpful,(y)(y);)

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Hi, I would be prepared/happy to be a list. Now retired and have over 40 years of large rigs/towing too (used to be a coach /bus driver).
Based in Dundee but have knowledge of most of the roads/area's in the UK and Europe
Contact me for my details

whereru

Free Member
Jun 16, 2014
Paignton, Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
This is a fantastic idea, I really needed this kind of help over the last few days. I was touring in my motorhome along with my parents in theirs. I took a nasty fall while walking the dog just outside Littlehampton in Hampshire on Wednesday evening, I landed on my right knee and left elbow, I thought I had just bruised them but by the next morning I was getting quite worried and new there was no way I could drive, I had to get home to Devon by Sunday. Between myself and my son in law we managed to sort out insurance for him to come and pick up myself and the motorhome but he had to take time off work to do so. I thought I would have to leave the van and get a lift home with my parents but the insurance company informed me I would not be covered unless it was in a secure location off road.
Would it be an idea to have a list of secure off road parking for those who need to leave their van until it can be picked up.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back