Sep 6, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own a MH yet
Exp
15 years under canvas, 13 years in a caravan
So here is MY itinerary..
Go look at Globecars, go to MHF stand, go look at Globecars again, go look at Devon conversions, then Globecars. Back to the MHF stand. I noticed that two globecar stealers are going to be there. I'll stay away from trade stands because everything is going into the MH fund presently. We are both looking forward to meeting up with MHF members.
Julie

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
So here is MY itinerary..
Go look at Globecars, go to MHF stand, go look at Globecars again, go look at Devon conversions, then Globecars. Back to the MHF stand. I noticed that two globecar stealers are going to be there. I'll stay away from trade stands because everything is going into the MH fund presently. We are both looking forward to meeting up with MHF members.
Julie
I will be there in the trade area with my Campscour(R)evolution.
If you cant find me ask anyone for the people with the parrot. Hence the trading name Parrotsol.

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
If FUN have the trade stand there you will find plenty of us milling about, chatting, offering advise etc Or just waiting for the right moment when Jim thinks it's gone quiet and brings out the choccy biscuits to go with the cup of tea.. (y)(y)

Look for the smiley face badges as you visit the show, many of us wear them and as said you can always wander over to the Fun camping area and say hello.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Julie and Charles

Free Member
Sep 6, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own a MH yet
Exp
Lol, I've never driven a MH before , I hope it's not going to be a shock :eek:
For me, it's part of the excitement. Friends have offered me a drive of there MH but, I'm a named driver on our insurance so, I'm not covered.
I love driving big vehicles, drove everything at work, from fuel bowsers to tow trucks, fire vehicles and towed pumps, I love driving truck like things. We are looking at a car replacement MH. The Globecar will be easy to use and park, just like a big car really.
We sold our caravan in spring and have been camping this year, and loved it. We will definitely find the MHF camping area as we need a fix.
So excited, only two more sleeps.
Julie

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We did that too Duffs - mind you - we did also have a towing caravan anyway, just cheaper to tent camp abroad, without the trailer, what with fuel and ferry costs - so were used to layouts and cassette loos, leisure batteries, 12v lighting, gas bottles and all that jazz - it's only like welding the towing vehicle onto the front of the caravan after all ROFLMAO

Upvote 0
Sep 14, 2017
The Fens
Funster No
MH
Ford Duetto, 1995
Exp
We did that too Duffs - mind you - we did also have a towing caravan anyway, just cheaper to tent camp abroad, without the trailer, what with fuel and ferry costs - so were used to layouts and cassette loos, leisure batteries, 12v lighting, gas bottles and all that jazz - it's only like welding the towing vehicle onto the front of the caravan after all ROFLMAO

We've only camped, plus in EHU and that was that, now grey waste, black waste, weight limits.........my head is spinning:rolleyes:

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
What? never emptied a porta- potti or it's cassette, nor seen it done on a campsite? Common sense tells you it has to go into a sewer and that washing up or bath water can't be poured anywhere within about 2 metres of fresh water in streams pools lakes etc and can't go down a 'road' drain which is only intended for clean water eg rain.

Height and weight and width limits are shown on ROAD SIGNS everywhere in the EU - just obey them - exactly as you do the speed limits and the signs that advise you 'priorite a droite' still operates wherever you may happen to be in France. (not everywhere, just some places)

Pete drives our MH but because foreign road signs, if not flat, are automatically angled towards drivers on the LEFT hand side of a vehicle - we regarded as partially my responsibility to eg screech "Nooooo! - bear right!!!" when being diverted a few years ago round confusing road works in heavy traffic in eg Marseilles and directed into a 2.5m high tunnel under where the new junction was being constructed. Our MH then had an overcab and was over 3m ......

Just be alert. It's essential both here and abroad when driving anything, full stop.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Julie and Charles

Free Member
Sep 6, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own a MH yet
Exp
Were moving from camping to MH quite a leap isn't it

We started by camping and cycle touring, it's always about cycling and walking with us.
Then we got a caravan, then we got another caravan.
This year back under canvas again after selling the caravan.
Now we're looking to get a MH. I'm excited because we love this kind of holiday, we can pack our days full of things to do or, just sit and read.
We are normally away at this time of year but, this year ee are home because the nights are drawing in, it's getting chilly to be in a tent now.
We can't wait to get it packed up and be off. We have the best time when we're away. Lucky that we both love the same things.

Upvote 0
Sep 14, 2017
The Fens
Funster No
MH
Ford Duetto, 1995
Exp
What? never emptied a porta- potti or it's cassette, nor seen it done on a campsite? Common sense tells you it has to go into a sewer and that washing up or bath water can't be poured anywhere within about 2 metres of fresh water in streams pools lakes etc and can't go down a 'road' drain which is only intended for clean water eg rain.

Height and weight and width limits are shown on ROAD SIGNS everywhere in the EU - just obey them - exactly as you do the speed limits and the signs that advise you 'priorite a droite' still operates wherever you may happen to be in France. (not everywhere, just some places)

Pete drives our MH but because foreign road signs, if not flat, are automatically angled towards drivers on the LEFT hand side of a vehicle - we regarded as partially my responsibility to eg screech "Nooooo! - bear right!!!" when being diverted a few years ago round confusing road works in heavy traffic in eg Marseilles and directed into a 2.5m high tunnel under where the new junction was being constructed. Our MH then had an overcab and was over 3m ......

Just be alert. It's essential both here and abroad when driving anything, full stop.

To be honest I've not taken any notice of different containers being rolled around as we never ever thought we'd be able to have a MH they are so many different looking ones, but no idea what was in them let alone use a cassette toilet, I have no idea how they work either . Lol no idea about weight loads on MH either, this is a learning curve but lots of lovely help on here and I've downloaded lots of info so hopefully by the time we get one I'll have some idea what I'm doing or maybe not.... :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Julie and Charles

Free Member
Sep 6, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own a MH yet
Exp
Yep he said yes, now need to check when i'm not looking after grandkids (y)(y)
We went Today, it was very well organised and not too busy.
I think we need another visit to second view a few vans we liked. I just can't understand the price of some of them.
Still, as I used to say at work, never try to hard to understand the system:wasntme:

Upvote 0
Sep 14, 2017
The Fens
Funster No
MH
Ford Duetto, 1995
Exp
We went Today, it was very well organised and not too busy.
I think we need another visit to second view a few vans we liked. I just can't understand the price of some of them.
Still, as I used to say at work, never try to hard to understand the system:wasntme:

Have you got the desired layout sorted yet?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Julie and Charles

Free Member
Sep 6, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own a MH yet
Exp
Have you got the desired layout sorted yet?
Yes, last year I rejected permanent bed as a no no, however, we both walk and cycle and, that garage is an absolute dream for us. Bikes, bike tools, boots, chocks, ramps, tools.
I still love the Globecar.
Every time we see it we both agree that it has everything on board that we love.

We went back to the show today. I took a look at most things and, some of the prices are just extortionate. I learned today that, just because it's a famous brand, don't think for one minute that means good quality.
We took a look at pre loved, the price was so close to new that it's a no brainer, new for a couple thousand more is better.
Also the pre loved I've seen have not been loved. Some are skips on wheels.
I did find something used today that I really liked. A Autosleeper Topaz on Loudhams stand. However, three years old and 45k!!!! Another 1k and I can get a new Globecar.
My brain is in need of a rest, trying to work out a pricing structure for MHs is beyond me.
It will be spring before we can do anything. By then price increases will have hit. What can you do though.
Hope you had a successful day. Did you buy anything?
Julie

Upvote 0
Sep 14, 2017
The Fens
Funster No
MH
Ford Duetto, 1995
Exp
Yes, last year I rejected permanent bed as a no no, however, we both walk and cycle and, that garage is an absolute dream for us. Bikes, bike tools, boots, chocks, ramps, tools.
I still love the Globecar.
Every time we see it we both agree that it has everything on board that we love.

We went back to the show today. I took a look at most things and, some of the prices are just extortionate. I learned today that, just because it's a famous brand, don't think for one minute that means good quality.
We took a look at pre loved, the price was so close to new that it's a no brainer, new for a couple thousand more is better.
Also the pre loved I've seen have not been loved. Some are skips on wheels.
I did find something used today that I really liked. A Autosleeper Topaz on Loudhams stand. However, three years old and 45k!!!! Another 1k and I can get a new Globecar.
My brain is in need of a rest, trying to work out a pricing structure for MHs is beyond me.
It will be spring before we can do anything. By then price increases will have hit. What can you do though.
Hope you had a successful day. Did you buy anything?
Julie

We are going to the NEC one I think, he seems to have cooled a bit on the idea, so don't want to push it.

We are going to do one more trip to France camping in June, I was hoping to have a MH by then, but as I love my tent I'm happy to wait a bit longer.

I think we might have to opt for a fixed bed, OH isn't agile and he's balance isn't very good, so although I love the idea of pulling the bed down from above the cab, he will struggle I think,which would mean us changing to suit him later on, so might as well do it now.

Just looked at Globecars, there very nice aren't they and the Topaz tough choice for you then (y)(y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Julie and Charles

Free Member
Sep 6, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own a MH yet
Exp
Update :Grin:
We sat and spoke at length about MH.
We don't have the nerve to borrow, we took early retirement after both working long hours and putting everything into getting here. Now we are here, we want to stay here.
We both love our tent too, we were campers for 15 years before we bought the caravan, now we are back to tent holidays while we look and save.
We found a MH we really love. An Autosleeper Symbol. So, we are going to look for one of these pre loved.
Like you, I love my camping holidays, cooking and eating outside, best sleep I ever get outside.
So, now we've decided on the van, the budget and we can just look and search and, with luck we'll find one in spring.

I've found this forum so helpful and after meeting people at the show I can't wait to join in a rally in our 'new to us' van next year.

Julie xx:sun:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back