Motorhome for an ex caravanned ? (1 Viewer)

cyclenut

Free Member
Jan 19, 2021
North East
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
As the title says,I am now looking to buy a motorhome. I know that there will pluses and minuses compared to a caravan,but I have become tired of towing. I am a keen cyclist and would love to revisit the Alps and Pyrenees but towing a caravan there just does not enthuse me.
I'm looking at a smallish 2 berth 'van,fixed bed and preferably a garage. No winter use.It seems only continental 'vans offer this layout. An Etrusco V5900DB fits the bill and the price is very competitive.A motorhoming friend has dismissed this make as being " rubbish ", ie too cheap. It's around £42k,which I know is a relatively low price.Secondhand prices at the moment seem very high so that is why I was drawn to this model.
I don't want frills like alloy wheels,gas tanks,satellite systems,etc,just a good basic van.
I can't find many reviews,if any,for this model. Any thoughts,advice or experiences greatly appreciated.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Welcome from Ciren!

Not a model I’ve heard of before, but as Swifter says, looks like good value! No doubt others will have more knowledge. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 24, 2019
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Caracompact 600 MEG
Exp
5 years
Welcome😀. We made a similar decision last year and I too have plans to cycle some of the TdF cols in France. All our recent caravans had a french bed and we decided we wanted easier access via twin beds plus garage for cycle security. Our choice was a Weinsberg Caracompact which is slightly longer than the Etrusco which has a transverse bed. Other than that the Etruscan looks very similar: and we are very happy with our move from towing to MH. The Weinsberg is made by the knaus group as a “budget” model which appears similar to the Etruscan/Hymer link. I would not be put off by your friend’s comments. Our MH has a greater payload than the Kraus equivalent and yet has a good quality interior. The bathrooms on vans like this tend to be compact, but since we usually use sites this is not really an issue for us. I hope you get what you are looking for and can soon be ascending the Galibier or Tourmalet!

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
We spent a lot of time trying to work out what we wanted
We eventually decided it had to have twin beds, under 7m, German built and not on a Ford Transit base.
That cut down the options considerably

Having further trimmed the options we found the 'ideal' vehicle for us, went and had a look at a couple of new ones (out of our league financially), and then found a company that had an ex demo one that they were about to put into their rental fleet. We rented it. liked it, bought it.

It was the 3rd one we had rented, I'd recommend renting one or two so that you have an idea of what you want (and what you don't want)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
cyclenut

cyclenut

Free Member
Jan 19, 2021
North East
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Maybe it's a contentious issue but some Autotrails and Elddis come into our price bracket,but not new. Do foreign built 'vans outshine homegrown stuff ? Can of worms duly opened !

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Our last two ‘vans have been Marquis Elddis ‘specials’ - a 120 and now a 155. There were teething troubles, but nothing that wasn’t fixed, and we enjoyed/are enjoying, owning them. Neither had a garage though........ ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back