Motorhome for a year long adventure (1 Viewer)

Randommoose

Free Member
Sep 17, 2017
Funster No
Hi,

We are planning on going adventuring for a year in a motorhome and have been doing lots of research and planning in the last few months. I have read this forum occasionally but joined up yesterday so I can post too. This post is asking to see if we are on the right track for finding a suitable motorhome for us and if anyone has any suggestions for others to look at then that would be great too!

We need:
Enough space for two people and a dog to live in full time for 12-18 months, UK and Europe.
A fixed double bed long enough for my 6'2" husband who sleeps straight
Head room over the bed, not one over a high garage.
Head room for my husband to walk around.
Shower high enough for my husband to stand up (lots aren't!)
Space for LPG gas, solar panels, 2 bicycle rack, 1 folding bicycle trailer, batteries etc, a lot of the time we will be staying in places without facilities.

We have been to dealers and shows to see all sorts of layouts, test lying in beds, standing in showers and generally wandering around. It has been good fun but we have only found one model that suits us exactly and there aren't that many of them around! We can probably afford something dating from 2000-2007.

Autotrail Chieftain (low line) - these are our top choice, have everything we need
Autotrail Cheyenne 696/840 - these would probably work if they had a low tranverse bed but we haven't found one that does.
Burstner 821 - this would work with a low bed but again, haven't found one.

We have looked at 5th wheels, RVs, A class, huge coach-like things, small vans. We are happy to consider other makes and models so if anyone has any suggestions then please let me know.

Moose :)

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I would say you can have a large/high garage and headroom in the bed over it if you accept that the van will be taller, and the garage space does come in handy, if you know how much headroom you need I could measure ours.

I would say A class but thats just a personal preference, nice big window for a view and feeling of space.

Martin

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I would agree within @funflair Aclass and also winterised as you will be full timing you need onboard tanks that are safe from frost(y)(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Dependant on the size of the dog and your own dealings with that dog, a garage might make a great place for a kennel which would then give you your fixed bed at the rear over the top of this.

Upvote 0

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
I am looking to sell a Dethlefs 7014 in near future, based wakefield if your within striking distance. Dazllin full times in same model. 2 single beds, full width rear bathroom, 47k miles on 07.PM for phone no

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Randommoose

Randommoose

Free Member
Sep 17, 2017
Funster No
A class was our first plan but they all seem to have high garages and/or low ceilings (due to double floor). However, saying that I have just found a Hymer with a low garage - first one I have ever seen!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Randommoose

Randommoose

Free Member
Sep 17, 2017
Funster No
Dependant on the size of the dog and your own dealings with that dog, a garage might make a great place for a kennel which would then give you your fixed bed at the rear over the top of this.
Dog is staying in the motorhome ;)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Randommoose

Randommoose

Free Member
Sep 17, 2017
Funster No
I am looking to sell a Dethlefs 7014 in near future, based wakefield if your within striking distance. Dazllin full times in same model. 2 single beds, full width rear bathroom, 47k miles on 07.PM for phone no
Thanks but single beds wouldn't work for us unless they are at the rear so we can covert them into a big bed. Rear washroom doesn't allow for that because of the doors.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Randommoose

Randommoose

Free Member
Sep 17, 2017
Funster No
I would say you can have a large/high garage and headroom in the bed over it if you accept that the van will be taller, and the garage space does come in handy, if you know how much headroom you need I could measure ours.

I would say A class but thats just a personal preference, nice big window for a view and feeling of space.

Martin
Thanks Martin, I've just had a look at the Niesmann Bischoff motorhomes. We had been in an Arto briefly before. The ones like yours look great! As you say the headroom would probably work as it is a tall vehicle. However, they are too expensive... :S

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Randommoose

Randommoose

Free Member
Sep 17, 2017
Funster No
I would agree within @funflair Aclass and also winterised as you will be full timing you need onboard tanks that are safe from frost(y)(y)

Thanks for saying about winterising, I hadn't thought about that at all. While travelling we are unlikely to be getting below freezing fingers crossed! However, we will be living in UK from January 2019 until we buy a house so need to bear in mind the cold weather then. Speaking to my husband he had planned that if we went with the Chieftain we would need to insulate any exposed tanks and add tank heaters as needed.

Upvote 0
Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
RS Elysium! Whats the budget? That would be my choice, we settled for an Autotrail Comanche. Tank heaters are built in.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Randommoose

Randommoose

Free Member
Sep 17, 2017
Funster No
RS Elysium! Whats the budget? That would be my choice, we settled for an Autotrail Comanche. Tank heaters are built in.
:ROFLMAO::LOL: to any RS!

Budget is up to a max of £30k. Any more and we will take too much out of the house deposit and not be able to buy a house again in 2019!

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
The problem with tank heaters is that you really need to be on hook up to use them and the tank will need to be insulated well.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thanks Martin, I've just had a look at the Niesmann Bischoff motorhomes. We had been in an Arto briefly before. The ones like yours look great! As you say the headroom would probably work as it is a tall vehicle. However, they are too expensive... :S
Your budget of £30k would get you a 2002/2003 Flair over the channel, It would be on the 2.8 RWD IVECO chassis or FWD Fiat, if you hit lucky you might get one in the UK but not so many about.

Martin

Upvote 0

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Have a look at the Chausson Allegro 97. We have one. Transverse island bed. Decent sized shower. large locker underneath the bed which is accessible from outside or inside. Fridge/freezer, reasonable kitchen and only 7.3 metres long.

Upvote 0

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I would have thought you wouldbebetter off getting a european van as easier to repair abroad. Also a normal cab not an a class as easier to get windscreen, headlights and mirrors.
But you really need to look around to see what suits.
Have you checked out insurance quotes?

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Also a normal cab not an a class as easier to get windscreen, headlights and mirrors.
If in Europe not a great problem just depends on what you have just done 6000 miles on last Scandinavian tour without problems also have found A class less draughty around cab area,our previous coach builts were very draughty up front and known for it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Randommoose

Randommoose

Free Member
Sep 17, 2017
Funster No
Thank you for all the suggestions, it has been really helpful. I'm going to keep an eye out. Because of this thread I have found something I didn't know existed (A Class with a low bed) and am currently looking at one which is for sale so we'll see what happens with that. :)

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We have a hymer 554 with a french bed. It also comes in an A class worth a look.

Upvote 0

Davylambretta

Free Member
Jun 12, 2017
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
A class was our first plan but they all seem to have high garages and/or low ceilings (due to double floor). However, saying that I have just found a Hymer with a low garage - first one I have ever seen!
Nice low roof Lakia on ebay that might suit at the moment

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Randommoose

Randommoose

Free Member
Sep 17, 2017
Funster No
We've put a deposit down on a motorhome today! :D 2004 Hymer A class with (it seems) every conceivable extra and accessory. Excellent condition, will have a new MOT and service done before we pick it up. So exciting!

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Congratulations enjoy your trip and safe travels!
Will she/ he have a name?
Let us know how you get on in your travels!

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
A Class .. Far warmer in winter. You need internal tanks so your water will not freeze. Double floor helps to keep the heat in and the cold out. We have had a normal Fiat Cab and the front seats can be very chilly on a winter evening. Our Liaka is far warmer in the winter. Two double beds one over the garage goes up and down and one in the front. We have a bed each and when it's hot it's really nice not to have a heater at the side of you. Garage is large and takes two fold up electric bikes. If you are going full time the last thing you want is bikes hanging on the back they will rust / corrode very quickly especially in winter with the road salt. Also safer as no one can see them. You also need something that is well screwed together which puts most of the uk vans out to start with. Using a MH full time is different to the odd few weeks away. Depending on size of dog ours sleeps in the front passenger footwell which also has more room in an A Class

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Randommoose

Randommoose

Free Member
Sep 17, 2017
Funster No
We went for A class in the end and got our Hymer B774 today! :D

2017-09-24 15.13.25 - Copy.jpg

Upvote 0
Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
In that case you will want MIFI? We got
TP-Link 4G LTE-Advanced Mobile Wi-Fi Router/Hotspot
Saves tethering your mobile to laptop. It's better than house system for speed. Great when away!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back