Motorhome evolution in a diesel-banned future (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
That renault cost about 10p per mile to hire the battery ! eg £63 per month if you do 7500 per year

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Electrically powered petrol, diesel and LPG pumps/dispensers at filling stations are designed to be safe so I can't see how charging points would be a risk.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Aug 17, 2017
Funster No
MH
PVC - AT Tribute T-670
Exp
With the recent focus on the emissions from diesel-fuelled vehicles, what do you think will be the future for motorhomes? In the short term, we'll probably see more of the Low Emission Zone type of regulation. And I doubt if diesel will be totally banned. But I am curious if Funsters know what direction-of-travel (PUN INTENDED) the motorhome designers will take. Petrol-electric hybrids? (Can electric motors handle 3.5t vehicles?) LPG-electric hybrids? CNG? (Like the many new buses that run on compressed natural gas) All-electric...if the charging infrastructure was in place???
With the recent focus on the emissions from diesel-fuelled vehicles, what do you think will be the future for motorhomes? In the short term, we'll probably see more of the Low Emission Zone type of regulation. And I doubt if diesel will be totally banned. But I am curious if Funsters know what direction-of-travel (PUN INTENDED) the motorhome designers will take. Petrol-electric hybrids? (Can electric motors handle 3.5t vehicles?) LPG-electric hybrids? CNG? (Like the many new buses that run on compressed natural gas) All-electric...if the charging infrastructure was in place???

That is a good question and this is my present view. There are so many imponderables or perhaps I should say ponderables, that I am, perhaps selfishly, trying hard to ignore the issue. I am about to buy a new Euro VI diesel campervan and I admit the question initially worried me, even though the Euro VI standard, I am told, is about as clean as one can get and air pollution is negligible. I find that hard to believe but that is what I keep reading. The expansion of the RV market has been substantial and there is no sign of it not continuing for years to come. Blame that in particular on the Baby Boomer generation, of which I am a member but there is also evidence that younger generations are increasingly involved. Over 13,000 new motorhomes were registered in the UK alone in 2016/17 and a safe bet would be that most of these run on diesel. That's a lot of owners who would be totally stuffed if diesel is banned. I can't see that happening for quite a while and perhaps not in my lifetime, which I hope is good for at least another 30 years! Take in Europe and I believe the number runs to over 100,000 new registrations. My pragmatic view in spite of the scaremongering is that I have nothing to worry about for several years to come. Hybrids will come on stream of course (and I assume they will be plug-in hybrids) but I fully expect them to be more expensive than the single fuel alternatives that we drive today and to my mind, they are simply paying lip-service to the need to be green, albeit a necessary phase in the long road to clean energy propulsion. For an all-electric, 200 miles between charges for me is unacceptable. Would you really risk running "the tank" near to empty as one might chance with a single fuel vehicle in the hope that a charging point is going to be where you need it. I don't think so, so for 200 miles, read "150". You could hardly get out the fuel can and trudge off to the nearest station for a few kws of electricity. If one is touring in a more remote region and there happens to be a set of charging points, will there be a queue; will the engineer be coming next week to fix it; will it be compatible with my outfit? Then there's the 2040 diktat. Well, speaking selfishly for once, I will be well into my 90s and in any event, the vehicle that I am about to buy will have long before been moved on. I have a feeling that the secondhand market for diesels will be quite buoyant for several years to come. If I am wrong, well never mind! Apologies if I come across as being flippant but I have decided to enjoy myself and to stop worrying.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2017
Leicester
Funster No
MH
None at the mo.
solar as been subsidized for years . it means they get paid loads more to produce it.
indirectly the customer us ,have to pay alot more for leccy because of that. we work in not so good for the planet jobs so any greenness is cancelled out .
remember we live in a money world .
the world is always changing . africa was under the sea many years ago.
what humans need to do is use less of most things .
instead most humans waste so much.
To many Humans .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back