Motorhome Engine cover to stop rain ingress (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Good Evening Fellow Funsters.
Have a very nice 21 year old ci roller team type coach built with cab over with a 1.9 td fiat ducato engine and manual gearbox.
When it rains, water manages to somehow make its way to the clutch and gearbox housing and sit in a small pool on its top, but also runs off under the van.
Not ideal.
I have considered a scuttle type modification to stop water run off but don’t think this will do the job, so, am thinking along the lines of an inclement weather bonnet cover that would completely cover the engine front end for when she is standing for longish periods either at home or when out on site in the wetter months.
Possibly something similar to the external covers as used for heat retention, but much longer than just the screen.
Thanks for any advice on direction as to where I might get such a thing, if said article should exist.
Many Thanks.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
How about a awning rail under the cab over and a skirt with bolt rope threaded into it.

The bottom secured with turn buckles or a rope through eyelets.

Cheers James

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Captain Yoghurtpot
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
How about a awning rail under the cab over and a skirt with bolt rope threaded into it.

The bottom secured with turn buckles or a rope through eyelets.

Cheers James
That, sir, is a damn fine idea!!!👍👍👍
I shall get thinking on that! 😊😊😊And yes, thinking about it, a lot of rainwater does come off the roof with some going over the cab over straight onto the screen and bonnet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
Be careful unless it is held very tight. When the "beast from the east" came, I fitted a tarpaulin that covered the windscreen, bonnet and grille, down to the ground. When I removed it, a lot of the paint on the bonnet was worn away, due to movement of the cover.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Captain Yoghurtpot
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Be careful unless it is held very tight. When the "beast from the east" came, I fitted a tarpaulin that covered the windscreen, bonnet and grille, down to the ground. When I removed it, a lot of the paint on the bonnet was worn away, due to movement of the cover.
Thanks and duly noted as a possible solution but with a cautionary twist.
Many thanks.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Captain Yoghurtpot
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
As an aside, I was unaware that Mrs YP had been at your house during the winter!
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

…………. think I’d better hide 😉

Upvote 0
Sep 19, 2018
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Just looking
So the rain comes from the roof/cab, over the screen, into the scuttle area, and drips down on the engine?
Common issue on 2000 on Ducati’s I think.
I’ve started thinking about an engine cover that just allows it to run over. 2 abs computers, 2 starter motors and it’s time to sort it I think.

Upvote 0
Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
When I had the same motor as you.
Spent some time stood in winter.Hooked upto mains.Went to start and nada.Checked battery and was fine,removed the starter and when I extracted it got covered in oily water.Honestly,anything you can do is a help.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Captain Yoghurtpot
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
When I had the same motor as you.
Spent some time stood in winter.Hooked upto mains.Went to start and nada.Checked battery and was fine,removed the starter and when I extracted it got covered in oily water.Honestly,anything you can do is a help.
Thanks Mr Baldeagle
Yes, think this water ingress over parts of the lower engine have been occasionally causing my starting problem when it’s been a heavy or prolonged wet spell.
Had no issues this Summer or Autumn ( touch wood) 🤞so want to keep it that way.
Would love to build a car port but we live in a bungalow and it would look odd and be impractical, I think.
Thanks for the reply and comment though.
😊

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back