Motorhome+e-bikes vs car+caravan vs motorhome+car (1 Viewer)

Fulltiming Felines

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Funster No
I understand a lot of people have a car/truck towing a caravan or a motorhome towing a car, but how about a motorhome with e-bikes?

This seems like a low-budget option that allows you to explore the local area, do some shopping, without having a car.

Advantages:
  1. lower cost
  2. easier to drive one vehicle than drive one and tow another
  3. get some exercise
  4. easier to park a bike than a car
Disadvantages:
  1. no protection from rain or hot weather—but if the weather's bad, we probably wouldn't go out exploring anyway
  2. less safe: might get hit by a car while on a bike
  3. less cargo capacity on a bike than a car, for shopping, transporting pets, etc
We're a couple in our 30s, fairly fit, and will be full-timing in UK and southern Europe.

I've also seen some people with scooters, but e-bikes these days can go pretty fast and far and are like a more compact scooter.

Thoughts?

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
We full time. Motorhome and 2 good ebikes. Works well!
As for your disadvantages mentioned, the first one you’ve answered yourself, the second applies to anything, even walking!, and the third, we have removeable bags front and back, and panniers, and can get quite a lot of shopping on board! We often do a major ‘shop’ in the van between stops, but there’s also cabs, Uber, and other folk you meet with cars etc!

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
In UK for us Motorhome and car on a frame/and or elec bikes on rack .

In Europe Motorhome and elec bikes on rack/ and or hire car.

Had caravan and no longer would consider as not convenient for us in Europe and too much hassle setting up and towing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fulltiming Felines

Fulltiming Felines

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Funster No
In UK for us Motorhome and car on a frame/and or elec bikes on rack .

In Europe Motorhome and elec bikes on rack/ and or hire car.
Why the difference between UK and Europe?

If you are in your30s then you surely don’t need an e bike:whistle:
We're also thinking of going up some mountains in an e-bike. Seems like it would be a lot of fun. On a pedal bike, I wouldn't even attempt it.

For flat areas, you're right, I would do pedal bike. But I could always take the battery out of the e-bike if I wanted.

We full time. Motorhome and 2 good ebikes. Works well!!
Howdy full-timer! Thanks for letting me know that it works for you.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Caravans need sites - many closed 'out of season'

Ebikes are great - wondered why mine kept cutting out - I was doing more than 15mph!

Not bad for an unfit 72 year old on his way back from the pub:whistle:

Upvote 0

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We have e-bikes with a dog trailer (Tailwagon). The Tailwagon can be used for shopping or cat transport :D. It suits us very well. We don't travel in the UK in the motorhome... well, only as far the the tunnel!

The difference between cycling in the UK and on the continent is vast. I love cycling on the continent and used to cycle in the UK. However, we live in the south of England and you need to have a death wish to venture onto the roads on a bike - so I never cycle at home!

On the continent there are brilliant cycle lanes and far less traffic. You are totally segregated from the traffic and so there is no danger.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fulltiming Felines

Fulltiming Felines

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Funster No
@Fulltiming Felines I see on the other thread that you're set on a rear lounge layout.
This means that you won't have a garage to store the e-bikes, will you be happy leaving them on a rear rack? (I'm thinking security)
Yes, I'd leave them on a bike rack. I'd take the batteries out and store them inside, as those are pricey and heavy. My e-bikes weren't too pricey, £450 each. They're the Evogue Explorer from Bicycles4u, pretty happy with them.

Should I get a cover for the two bikes? I hear rain and the elements aren't good for bikes in general. And it would help slightly with security as thieves won't be able to see that they're e-bikes.

Upvote 0

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Yes, I'd leave them on a bike rack. I'd take the batteries out and store them inside, as those are pricey and heavy. My e-bikes weren't too pricey, £450 each. They're the Evogue Explorer from Bicycles4u, pretty happy with them.

Should I get a cover for the two bikes? I hear rain and the elements aren't good for bikes in general. And it would help slightly with security as thieves won't be able to see that they're e-bikes.
Get a big lock ( I use a motorcycle chain) cover them, and take the saddles off(y)

Upvote 0
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User

Yes, I'd get covers and a big bottle of Muc-off. It's amazing how fast they pick up dirt, even with a cover (y)

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Get a decent cover, Bags4everything made ours. You'll need a decent security chain, ours cost £90, and when on the rack remove a couple of pedals for extra security.

Upvote 0

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Another vote for e-bikes. We towed a car on a trailer for 3 years and even with a mover on the trailer it was a pain in the arse unless you spend weeks on a site. With the new Flair I ordered the tow hitch. It has not been used in the 3 years we have had the Flair. Furthermore we bought a turbo cabriolet Smart, spent £2k on a fancy A frame, never used it.
On our second set of e-bikes now and having assistance is important in my opinion if you are going to use bikes as your primary second transport. As @BreweryDave says with panniers we can get our shopping with ease, and my latest Racktime box enables me to get my 24 litres of Conde Noble on the back with ease, and 24 San Miguels in the panniers!
Just did 20 miles this morning like a walk in the park!

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
[QUOTE="Fulltiming Felines, post: 3026937, member: 55883"]Why the difference between UK and Europe?

We're also thinking of going up some mountains in an e-bike. Seems like it would be a lot of fun. On a pedal bike, I wouldn't even attempt it.

For flat areas, you're right, I would do pedal bike. But I could always take the battery out of the e-bike if I wanted.

Howdy full-timer! Thanks for letting me know that it works for you.[/QUOTE]

The a frame is not legal in Europe and not really necessary as with Aires ,Stellplatz and sites more conveniently located for villages and towns a cycle does the job .

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
What kinda range do you get out of these ebike thingys now a days?

The simplest way to compare the potential range of different bikes is to look at the capacity (Wh rating) of their batteries. Differences in their mechanics will reduce the potential distance and the cheaper bikes may suffer from that more than the dearer ones. Our Kalkhoff bike boasts 120miles on a full battery with minimal support. Others might not promise such high distances because they provide more support at the lowest level (consuming more Wh per mile).
The actual distance achieved will be reduced if it’s hilly, windy, chilly, bumpy, or the rider is heavy, just as the fuel consumption of your motorhome would. If you become tired and demand maximum support, the distance achievable can drop to around a quarter of the best estimate (30 miles in our case).

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back