Motorhome Disaster in Slovenia. (2 Viewers)

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
We watched a great thunderstorm out at sea from the camping site bar last night.

I went back and brought the awning in etc as the wind was getting up rapidly.

About 2;30 am my wife woke me the van was shaking and rocking, the wind was moving the van violently and the rain was lashing down. I got up from the overcab bed where we were sleeping and ran to shut the sky lights and windows fully as the rain was blowing in. There was a loud bang and a crack, then the van shook. My wife cried out. She was trapped in the overcab. I climbed up the ladder and tried to push the roof up as it was on top of her. I could not move it no matter how hard I pushed. I went out for help...

The rain was torrential and there was 2 or 3 inches of water all around. I then saw a 30 or 40 foot tree had been uprooted and had collapsed right onto the front of our van right dead centre on the overcab.

I banged on other nearby vans and shouted for help. After a few minutes again trying to push the roof up to free my wife a German came, he tried to help me push the roof up but we could not free my wife who was screaming. I then realised the only way was to try to drive the van back in reverse away from the tree. After a few attempts I managed to get the van go back a few metres and release the weight of the tree. We then managed to get my wife free. Thank God.

Fire brigade police and ambulance arrived. The fire Brigade cut the rest of the tree away with a chain saw. Fortunately the boys who were sleeping in the rear of the van were ok. My wife was treated by the medics who gave her an injection, her pelvis was hurting but they said it just bruising.

It is now all quiet, so amazingly quiet, no wind nothing. We are in shock but ok. The overcab is cracked and banana shaped in the middle, as is the rooflight, sat dome etc are all smashed. I have tried to call Caravan Club Insurance but can get no answer on their numbers.

The boys are asleep again. There was I joking with the boys about lightening strikes last night. God what a nightmare. Hope the van is ok. I reversed over some stuff to back away from the tree. Full inspection in daylight will reveal the full extent.

I hope we can sleep a bit.............. I am just in shock right now........

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Oh what a dreadful experience. I hope your wife is okay and if you have any doubts please take her to be properly checked out.

Motorhomes can be repaired / replaced, people can't.

Let us know if there is anything we can do from the UK.

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
That is a horrid thing to have happen, I am glad you all survived such a traumatic experience, it must have been absolutely terrifying.

Maybe you should take the wife for a check up, just to be on the safe side, is she fit to travel?

I hope the van is drivable and you can all get home safely without the need for recovery, that would be another trauma.

Best wishes for a safe and speedy outcome, please,let us know how you get on.

Hymie.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
What a awful thing to happen and glad that you have escaped with just bruising.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Your experience sounds awful. Glad to hear there were no serious injuries. I hope your wife is ok and that you can get your van repaired enough to continue your journey.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
That's dreadful.... Sounds a bit lucky - it could have been you both trapped up there and could have been a lot worse. At least the van can be fixed and no apparent serious injuries. Shocking to read about it.....

moonman

Free Member
Mar 3, 2014
wirral
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2003
no fun while its happening and glad no one was seriously hurt! but its the stuff of legends and you'll have the memories to look back on and joke about!
At least that's my experience of a grueling Italian holiday about 15 years ago..

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
It sounds terrifying but you were obviously able to think straight. I hope your wife is feeling better. I hope you get it sorted with the insurance and are able to continue your holiday - you certainly need one now!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
A horrendous experience; it must have been a terrifying few minutes for all of you, I hope your wife feels better soon and your insurance company treats you royally. (y)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
What a horrible experience Callum. I echo what everyone else has said. Hopefully the insurance company will treat you as well as ours did and soon have you home safely with a repaired/replaced van.

simply

Free Member
Apr 24, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic
Exp
Newcomer
Well done you !!

I expect you are all in shock and may not have yet rcognised how much this has affected each of you. Please get yourselves all checked over and the support you are likely to need following such an ordeal before worrying too much about the 'van.

Good luck and all the best !

Bulawayo Lass

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
Mud Island, nr Mudchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
long (with Brian) short (alone) medium (with Andy)
Your wife Has to have pelvic and to be safe spinal xrays. The medics are not up to uk standard and none have xray vision. The ysless creatures called drs in the uk missed Mumms double fractured pelvis for 5mts in the uk despite about 5 different sets of x rays. l can not believe all countrys are as incompitent as the ones where we live. Please insist she has pelvis and spinal pictures to be sure.
l also know several folks who never went for spinal x rays as they were walking and finally weeks later pain sent them. They had some spinal damage. One had ambulance sent and was not aloud to move from position until medics arrived he had broken his neck.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Gosh Callum, sounds awful...so glad your ok.

Hope the Mrs is not too damaged from the experience and the kids are ok. what a freak accident.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Thank goodness that you all seem to have survived what must have been a frightening experience which you seemed to have handled really well.(y)

Doesn't matter about the van

Unlucky to be where you were when the tree came down but really lucky to have survived

All the best - (y)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hope you are all ok , everything I could say has been said, just keep us informed of any help you may need

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Hope you're all OK. As said by a previous poster insist on your wife being checked over.

Please don't hesitate to ask if you need any help from the UK.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Oh Dear ... Callum, must have been long long long minutes to you, looking for help, and your wife will need a good check up and some peaceful time to try to forget if it's possible to forget such a terrifying moment. I hope you 'll get proper help from insurance and that you'll be able to travel again with happiness !

Amicalement

Frankie

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Absolutely horrendous. We are just so glad you all appear to be safe and well...

This motor homing lark is turning out to be quite dangerous, what with yours and Taran Las's experiences...

Safe home all of you...

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Not a good night Callumwa, it shows how things can change in a split second. Regards to yourself and your family.

Last edited:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Jeeeez Callum, near miss there! It could have been so much worse, as I think you know. At least others were around.
Hope your boss is OK, and that the children feel better. Please keep us all up to scratch with developments. We are all batting for you mate.

On a slightly lighter note......Told you not to watch the football! :)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
wishing you and the family a speedy recovery from this incident.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
My goodness Callum, they say worse things happen at sea but I doubt you would have thought so in those few mins. I hope no damage to you wife and you are able to be mobile again. Be very careful with the insurance company even if driveable they may say no. As happened to someone on WC a short while ago.

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Makes you realise just how fragile and precious life is. We sincerely hope that this traumatic experience does not have any lasting effect. Well done, Callum, for such a heroic and successful effort to free your wife. We hope that everything works out OK and that you come home safe and well with your motorhome.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Gosh, just echoing what everyone else has said how horrendous for you all, if you need any uk based help just ask.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
What a terrifying incident, amazing that you kept your head to reverse back out. I think most of us would have been too panic stricken. Most docs and paramedics do know what they are talking about! If your poor wife can pee, poo and walk about on simple painkillers like paracetamol and ibuprofen then she is unlikely to have done any serious damage but if she gets worse rather than better then you would need to find a hospital. Hope you get the van sorted asap for all your sakes so that you can get home easily or finish your holiday once you get over the shock.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back