Motorhome Disaster in Slovenia. (1 Viewer)

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
So glad everyone are ok, could have been much worst, quick thinking May have helped by moving the van back, good job the boys were asleep or they could have been very frightened.
Hope the insurers sort the damage out and hopefully not do a repair, it will never be the same.
Hope to see you on a field or Whitby soon

Mastercamper

Free Member
Dec 7, 2013
Northumberland Flag Flier
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
50 years campervanning
Just seen your post.
What a terrible thing to happen, whether on holiday or not. As long as no one is seriously injured, and you can continue, all will eventually be well. A traumatic experience for you, a frightening one for your wife and an adventure for your youngsters. I wish you well.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Just seen your post too. What an awful experience but as many have said, you can replace a vehicle but not a person.
Hope the insurance sorts it all out and safe journey home.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Terrifying experience.. just glad you are all ok.,..

hope you took some pictures for the trip album

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
And they say "worse things happen at sea!", not that often fortunately.
So glad that everyone is alright, shocking experience, not what you expect from an average night's camping!
Good luck with your trip home and that the insurers see you right.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Crikey, I missed this until now.

What a horrible thing to happen.

I hope your wife is ok and that the insurers play nicely.

Good luck.

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Blimey! So glad you are all safe! Thank goodes you had got up and were not trapped too! My heart is pounding just reading this! Sending you all love and good vibes, hope you get home safe and sound and that your van can be fixed up.
xx

Nov 5, 2011
Gironde, France
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
5 years
What an absolute nightmare. So glad you're all OK & thank god for your quick thinking-getting help & reversing out from under the tree.

Already a 'happy ending' in that you are all OK & just hope the insurance/recovery do well regarding your van.

All the very best,

Roger

OP
OP
callumwa

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Thanks again everyone for your kind words. We really appreciate it. So a bit of an update... Spent the morning yesterday in a somber mood clearing up the mess and taping and patching up the van, trying to make all the holes and cracks watertight for the journey home. The campsites insurers came down, we made reports and exchanged all the details

We were heading to Croatia next, but now we will take a slow easy drive home through Austria and Germany and hope the patch up holds..., The overcab bed is no longer usable,we don't fit in anymore... the roof light and sat dome were also smashed, and the rear bumper was smashed when I reversed the van out and its scratched everywhere. But hey ho... little Andrew was happy as his TV is still working so he can watch his movies and cartoons when we are on the road.... LOL..

Funny how the mood can change so easily, we got on the road gain. Initially I thought there was a problem with the van. It was not pulling properly, then I realised, I had filled up with water and fuel, and we were climbing from sea level to over 600m against a headwind... no wonder it was a bit sluggish. We drove for two hours and stopped at Lake Bled, We laughed and giggled as there were trees everywhere, at least I did not have to worry about trying for a sat TV signal... We then laughed again trying to make up the double bed in the dinette, its like a 3D jigsaw with all the cushions, which we have never used, as we had the overcab and the boys have their bunks at the back.. When you are sitting inside, as long as you don't look at the overcab, it all feels normal......:RollEyes: a couple of bottles of Rose helped too......:wink:

The insurance called us again today to see if we were ok, as I had told them yesterday that we will try to drive the van home.

We have had a nice day at Lake Bled, what a pretty place. We rowed out to the island, really beautiful there, then we had a couple of drinks at the campsite listening to some live local traditional music. That's why we love what travelling in the van offers.

So our spirits are up, Diana's pain is easing and the boys are happy too, We plan to swim in the lake at breakfast tomorrow before heading to Austria.... It is due to rain later tomorrow, so that will test my tape up patch job...

Thanks again for all the support, that's what makes FUN such a great place........:clap2:

Last edited:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Callum get up early and go for a walk round the lake, as a couple of mornings I went for a jog at 7am I noticed a couple of naked ladies swimming . That should cheer you up.

Glad alls well

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Thanks for the update.

Glad you are all okay. Kids certainly have their own slant on life don't they? We had a nephew and niece here last weekend, when we asked them what they would like to do they wanted to go on a bike ride and take a picnic, find a rock pool at the beach, and feed the chickens!

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Thanks again everyone for your kind words. We really appreciate it. So a bit of an update... Spent the morning yesterday in a somber mood clearing up the mess and taping and patching up the van, trying to make all the holes and cracks watertight for the journey home. The campsites insurers came down, we made reports and exchanged all the details

We were heading to Croatia next, but now we will take a slow easy drive home through Austria and Germany and hope the patch up holds..., The overcab bed is no longer usable,we don't fit in anymore... the roof light and sat dome were also smashed, and the rear bumper was smashed when I reversed the van out and its scratched everywhere. But hey ho... little Andrew was happy as his TV is still working so he can watch his movies and cartoons when we are on the road.... LOL..

Funny how the mood can change so easily, we got on the road gain. Initially I thought there was a problem with the van. It was not pulling properly, then I realised, I had filled up with water and fuel, and we were climbing from sea level to over 600m against a headwind... no wonder it was a bit sluggish. We drove for two hours and stopped at Lake Bled, We laughed and giggled as there were trees everywhere, at least I did not have to worry about trying for a sat TV signal... We then laughed again trying to make up the double bed in the dinette, its like a 3D jigsaw with all the cushions, which we have never used, as we had the overcab and the boys have their bunks at the bunk.. When you are sitting inside, as long as you don't look at the overcab, it all feels normal......:RollEyes: a couple of bottles of Rose helped too......:wink:

The insurance called us again today to see if we were ok, as I had told them yesterday that we will try to drive the van home.

We have had a nice day at Lake Bled, what a pretty place. We rowed out to the island, really beautiful there, then we had a couple of drinks at the campsite listening to some live local traditional music. That's why we love what travelling in the van offers.

So our spirits are up, Diana's pain is easing and the boys are happy too, We plan to swim in the lake at breakfast tomorrow before heading to Austria.... It is due to rain later tomorrow, so that will test my tape up patch job...

Thanks again for all the support, that's what makes FUN such a great place........:clap2:
Talk about the British Bulldog spirit. Well done to all of you for being able to crack a laugh and find some fun in all of this :)

Fine example of how to be me thinks. Safe journey homeward to you all.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
We just miss the "thanks" button from the old site, as we want to say thanks to all of you.(y)(y)

Gerry, if I get up to go for a walk at 7am, my wife will become very suspicious, very quickly......:wink:
Haha, now that made me laugh too :)

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Thank you for the update, have been wondering how you were getting on, just shows how a positive attitude can turn a disaster into a situation that can be dealt with, I take my hat off to you and your wife .

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi

I missed all this having food poisoning and not even wanting to be online for 3 days . Good to hear you all survived and even managed the enjoy some of your travel back . Hope all works out OK with insurance and you manage to keep the rain off .

Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
What a shock. So glad everyone is ok and Diane is recovering. Lake Bled is lovely so glad you are able to unwind a bit from the trauma of it all. Safe journey back.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Horrible thing to happen. Look on the bright side now. No-one was hurt. Buy a lottery ticket on return to Britain.

Anyone surviving the fall of a 30 ft tree has to have some luck on their side (or led a very good life).

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
what an absolutely frightening thing to happen when the outcome could have been so dreadful..
good to hear that your wife is recovering, i must be honest, although overcab beds give much more space in the motorhome, to me they feel claustrophobic and scarey, and i'm amazed that you both seem to have taken this awful accident so well..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back