Motorhome Disaster in Slovenia. (1 Viewer)

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Echo what everyone else has said. Hope you all feel better today and if you need any help from this end, you have no end of people on here, including us, who will be willing to help in any way we can.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Blimey - nightmare experience.

I hope things get back to normal as soon as they possibly can.

(When your wife feels a bit better, ask her to write some Lottery numbers down).

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
really pleased to hear you are all ok after the incident. must of been very shocking at the time and not something to be repeated

sadly with the damage you describe, the van may be a write off, but better that than lose it for 6 months or more to be dismantled and repaired. its a very big job to replace the overcab pod, and the impact may well of cracked the walls too

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
How scary that must have been!

We get a bit complacent thinking that the rubber tyres will protect us from lightening strikes without looking at the surrounding trees etc.

Hope you get home safely and get checked out - motorhomes are replaceable, loved ones aren't!

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Hope your ok and your wife and family has a full recovery if it's any consolation I bet theirs plenty of wood for a camp fire:rofl:
But on a more serious not hope you are a bill to get sorted out with the insurance and all your family is ok
bill

Last edited:
OP
OP
callumwa

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Thanks to everyone from myself and Diane for their kind and encouraging words. The sun is shining here again, what a difference a few hours make.

Diane's hip is sore but she has full mobility however we will get it checked out properly soonest.
The boys are fine, little Andrew thinks it's all part of the adventure, bless him.
The van is looking a bit sad, the tree landed right on the overcab, so it is now shaped like Glencoe, and it has several holes and is fractured on all sides. The skylights are bust and now I know exactly what is inside a Camos dome.

I finally manged to get through to the insurance this morning so the ball is rolling. The director of the campsite came down this morning and his insurance assesor also arrived about midday. Three big Slovenian guys from the park staff had the tree removed before the insurance guy arrived. he though a branch had just fell and cracked the skylight..

I took lots of photos last night and today before the clear up. I have patched the roof up with extra strong gaffer tape,, so hopefully it will keep any rain out on the way back. We have decided to give Croatia a miss and will just poodle north slowly.

Thanks again all, I even enjoyed the humour ... Lol.. Cheers...

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Callum glad to hear your all ok, I've just read this in my lunch hour. If you need any help let me know and I'll see what I can do as we have friends in Ljubljana who speak very good English and also motorhomers. I will be home after 7 tonight and can try and contact them if required
Gerry

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Glad you are both ok, watching the Celtic match last night the weather looked bad. I've seen the damage a large pine tree does to a corregated cabin roof. Best wishes to you both.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
God Callum, how scary.
Hope Diane's not too sore, at least the boys think it's just part of the adventure.
Thank goodness you got out to shut the sky light. If not it could have been a lot worse. You could have been trapped in there too. Then have had to wait until someone heard both your screams over the rain and storm. Then wait for someone to shift the tree or move your locked Motorhome ............
That I'm sure would have scared the boys , and with you being bigger you could have ended up being hurt a lot more.
Hope you can get it all sorted out with the insurance.
Blimey .........

OP
OP
callumwa

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
This was after I had reversed about ten metres to get the tree off. Fortunately the van parked close behind me had left yesterday

Attachments

• DSC00321.JPG
    DSC00321.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 204
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
When I first started reading this I thought it was going to be a joke but as I read on it soon became apparent that it was a nightmare scenario. Thankfully you all seem to be OK and as you said, the boys think it's all part of the adventure. I really hope the insurance company get their fingers out and get you back on the road ASAP as you've suffered enough already.

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Pleased to hear nobody was hurt too bad and hope you can get it all sorted out with the insurance. (y)

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
This is the stuff of motorhome nightmares. Well done on your quick thinking and moving the van. Hope you get home safe and get the motorhome sorted.

SharonL

Free Member
Apr 14, 2013
Rossendale
Funster No
MH
Him RV - me Bongo!
Exp
Just starting
What a shocking experience, I bet you've been running on adrenaline ever since, but what a relief Diane has full mobility despite obviously being very sore. Such a lucky escape in a lot of ways. Hope the MH gets sorted, gaffer tape :) that'll help out every time, wish I'd invented that!

OP
OP
callumwa

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
A couple more pictures. The space between the cup and the back of the overcab is where Diane was, , just the height of the cup was the gap, not a lot of space left, sometimes I sleep in that side at the back if Diane gets up during the night..........

IMG_1143.JPG

The front of the van was in line with the tree with the red car behind before I reversed back out. My level ramps were still in there level with the other tree
IMG_1149.JPG

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
OMG amazing escape

It will be cosy in bed tonight!!

Very best of luck from here, this has got a lot more story in it yet (y)

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Crikey! Just been reading this and can only echo what everyone else has already said, it must have been really terrifying for you all. The van will get sorted out, just hope that everything is alright with your wife. Keep us posted!

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Just seen this, what a frightening experience for you, so pleased to see you are all right this morning, hope the insurance get their act together quickly, keep us posted, quite some tale your sons will have to tell when they get home.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
What a nightmare story. I'm so glad you're all safe and sound, apart from shock and bruises, which is bad enough as it is.

Keep being strong for everyone.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Wow ! that could have been my golf clubs :whistle: Seriously I feel for you for what that has done to your pride and joy. More importantly you are both relatively ok to fight another day. Wishing you all the very best for a satisfactory outcome, on all fronts. (y)

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Wow Callum, only just seen this thread, what a story!!!!. So glad you are all ok.
As everybody has said, good luck with the return journey and the insurance claim. Hope they treat you kindly.

John.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
You all had a close call there Callum, pleased to hear you're all ok so far, hopefully Di's Hip will prove to be just bruising. When you look at that tree it is some testament to the strength of the motorhome roof that you weren't both crushed and seriously injured. When the insurers get it all sorted give us a call and we'll sort a replacement dome for you if that's the way you wish to go. Be well, be happy and be safe.

D.

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
I cannot begin to imagine the terror of that. Good presence of mind to reverse away and remove the weight from the roof and therefore your wife. Respect. Best wishes to you all and hope you can enjoy the rest of your trip.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Callum, so sorry to hear of the accident, and of your Diane being trapped. I am just glad that you and your family are all okay, and around to tell the tale. Here's hoping that Diane's discomfort is down to nothing more than bruising.

Judging by the damage in the photos, it might be better that the insurers write off the MH, as it's integrity will never be as good after a repair, as the original build.

Safe journey back north, and I wish you the very best outcome with the insurers.

Good luck, (y)

Jock.

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Glad you are all okay, sounds terrifying but it also sounds like you were great in a crisis!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back