Motorhome destroyed by fire at Brighton.Sad news. (1 Viewer)

Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
It's sad to report this motorhome was destroyed yesterday by a fire. The owners were out and it is believed that the electric hob may have been accidently knocked "on" as they left the van. This ignited items on top of the glass. The warning is to double check all controls and switches. Our thoughts and wishes go to those affected by this.
20161231_113413.jpg

Attachments

• 20161231_113353.jpg
    20161231_113353.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 111

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Thats really sad. :cry: I hope they didnt have a dog inside, as some have. :(

The awning looks OK though. :xThumb:

Ksagic

Free Member
Feb 21, 2015
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 890i
Exp
So sad to see this happen. Thankfully you say the owners were out so no injuries. Interesting to see the gas locker seems to have remained in one piece..:xThumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
That looks terrible ,hopefully all are okay. Shows just how easily they can be destroyed.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Having been a loss adjuster for most of my career I have seen so many cases where serious fires have started from the tiniest, most insignificant sources. My wife thinks i am paranoid about safety, and she is probably right. Its just not possible to be too careful.

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
So sad to see this happen. Thankfully you say the owners were out so no injuries. Interesting to see the gas locker seems to have remained in one piece..:xThumb:

I'm thinking that the Fire Service would have paid prompt attention to that locker?

That or the first to respond took things in hand and forcedthe locker to isolate the bottles.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
The only MH fire I ever saw close up was on a crowded aire in Biarritz.

I was woken by a camping-cariste yelling 'Coupez votres tetes de gaz!' (close your gas valves) - a phrase worth knowing for those travelling in France.

I can believe the reason for the OP fire being a nudged hob control - ours were getting bumped on all the time, which is why we always closed the gas tap under the cooker whenever it wasn't in use. Electric adds a while new dimension to that.

At least the owners of the above MH got away - a vehicle can be replaced.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i was under the impression when the glass lid is closed the safety interlock came into being closing off the hob supply.
all too easy to accidently leave a burner on low and close the lid.
tempered glass explodes if heated to extremes

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
i was under the impression when the glass lid is closed the safety interlock came into being closing off the hob supply.
all too easy to accidently leave a burner on low and close the lid.
tempered glass explodes if heated to extremes
Not so on mine, although the dealer thought it did (Dometic hob). Unless already alight, flame failure would prevent any gas flow.
In this case, however, it is suggested that it was an electric hob. So two things may have combined to cause the accident: Turning the hob on and leaving something combustible close enough to it.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
It is so easily done! I have knocked the electric ring on twice in ours. The first time I did it, we were connected to a generator. I was alerted that something was up when the genny suddenly revved to maximum.
Now when we are in the van, I always leave the lid up with a whistling kettle on the electric ring, that's what alerted me the second time!
Glad that no one was hurt, just a financial loss! Could have been so much worse.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Mine won't turn on with the glass top in the closed position (AT Dakota)

I am pretty sure that the picture is of a AT Tracker FB. It would have three gas rings and one electric.

The only indicator is a little red light above the knob.

You might find its only the gas that the lid switches off switches off.

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
Just tried our Dometic cooker (3gas and 1lecci) and when you partially close the lid both the gas and the electric shuts off.
We have a 2016 Swift.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
We arrived at Villasol to be greeted by a burnt out caravan two pitches away from ours the couple escaped with minor injuries but it could have been so much worse as the man was blind and the new awning was ablaze and was wrapped around him it was an inflatable one and went up in seconds ,it appears they were cooking in the awning and were unlucky,their neighbour told me they has let their insurance lapse ,there is a lesson to us all

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Jesus! I do wish members would read and digest what was said in the opening post. Electric hob accidentally switched on which ignited items on top of the glass. Oh Please!

Reactions: f6c

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I feel so sorry for the owners but thank goodness they were out and thankfully no animal in the van. We have accidentally turned the knobs on so now take the knob off and put it in the grill compartment.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Jesus! I do wish members would read and digest what was said in the opening post. Electric hob accidentally switched on which ignited items on top of the glass. Oh Please!

Read it, digested :) Strange one though, Ive owned only one van with a leccy hob. That particular hob could not be turned on with the cover down. Ive never seen one without such a safety feature, but if that is what happened then they are out there.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Read it, digested :) Strange one though, Ive owned only one van with a leccy hob. That particular hob could not be turned on with the cover down. Ive never seen one without such a safety feature, but if that is what happened then they are out there.

Terry turned ours on accidentally washing up last week while the glass cover was down, he felt the glass getting warm when picking up dishes he'd stacked on it ready for washing, ours is an 09 autotrail cheyenne so can't have the safety feature!
I wouldn't have thought of testing it out before this thread.
Just reminded me to take the knob off again.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Electric hobs should not be supplied. It's become a Brit trait to 'demand' them, to exploit the provision of unmetered 'leccy on UK sites.

How is using the supplied paid for electricity exploiting? I always go without leccy if given a choice but I have a leccy hob that we use instead of our gas when forced to have it. :)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
all for the sake of £1 30A a micro switch
Wonder if the water heater survived the inferno
bill

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
I have just tested the glass cooker cover on my 2016 Autotrail Tracker FB and I'm disgusted to discover that you can switch on and ignite the gas and switch on the electric ring with the glass lid down. That is truly appalling in my opinion, and Autotrail should hang their heads in shame for not implementing a cheap and basic safety feature.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Seems to me that the caravan and motorhome industry need a trade body that sets minimum standards regarding safety,and while they're about it they could cover such things as false claims re number of berths,payloads and probably much more.
But perhaps there already is one but it's toothless or corrupt.
And perhaps there should be a consumer lobby group,as its great to know about stuff on this forum,but a lot of it should be taken further i.e. to the manufacturers and maybe trading standards.
Do these already exist? Guess I may be preaching to the converted,and teaching grandma to suck eggs at the same time,if so, I apologise.
Pod.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Seems to me that the caravan and motorhome industry need a trade body that sets minimum standards regarding safety,and while they're about it they could cover such things as false claims re number of berths,payloads and probably much more.
But perhaps there already is one but it's toothless or corrupt.
And perhaps there should be a consumer lobby group,as its great to know about stuff on this forum,but a lot of it should be taken further i.e. to the manufacturers and maybe trading standards.
Do these already exist? Guess I may be preaching to the converted,and teaching grandma to suck eggs at the same time,if so, I apologise.
Pod.
I think the National Caravan Council (NCC) is what you are referring to:

http://www.thencc.org.uk/

They are the UK trade body for the industry, but presumably their focus is providing a service to manufacturers rather than prioritising consumer needs?

But they do apparently also publish a 'Consumer Code of Practice'.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
domestic cookers have to have a shut of with a glass lid why this doesnt apply to motorhome cookers i dont know

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
It'd be nice to have some sort of "I'm going out" switch that could automatically isolate all non-essential energy sources and switch off certain things.

I can't imagine the cost to implement something like that though :eek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back