Free Member
Nov 1, 2011
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2000
Could I ask for some help please? It would appear that my baby has developed a case of damp around the habitation door and behind the wardrobe area. Are there any files or posts about which show the construction and materials used for me to replace the batons and boards without having to pay a fortune to a dealer/repair?
I keep seeing all the different types of sealant, wood hardener etc etc, but not too sure which is best.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi and welcome to the fun....

on a sour note, if you need to ask about construction techniques and which adhesives/sealant etc then leave it to the professionals.

the hab door and frame, along with the wardrobe and any other furniture nearby, will need to come out before you even think about repairs.
the damp, if low down, may also have found its way into the floor under the wardrobe.

not scaremongering but preparing you for what you may find.

if its bad on the bits you can see, it will probably be much worse in the bits you cant see.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Could I ask for some help please? It would appear that my baby has developed a case of damp around the habitation door and behind the wardrobe area. Are there any files or posts about which show the construction and materials used for me to replace the batons and boards without having to pay a fortune to a dealer/repair?
I keep seeing all the different types of sealant, wood hardener etc etc, but not too sure which is best.
if you have not had experience in this type of repair leave well alone you could devalue your nine year old motorhome in a crack leave it to the experts you cannot achieve a showroom finish as they can
put your money to good use pay the expert

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
I disagree.

We are currently dealing with a very wet back end.

When our 2006 Unit was built, the crew damaged the rear brake light at the top of the van.

Looks like there has been a leak since 2006 as the back wall had running water coming out of it when it was pressed.

OH has stripped out the rear bunk bed and wall boarding, found support struts screwed into polystyrene packing, ladders just supported by the rear skin. Obviously we got the 'rubbish' crew to build our van.

He has been drying out the wall for a couple of months and will be starting to re-build shortly.

pm me and I'll get him to describe the research he's done for wood fillers and damp suppressants.

June

Last edited:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
quite agree Gypsy,

there is no doubt its a tough job, but if you work hard at it it can be done. I had damp in my 656 as well as it appears 3 or 4 others, :roflmto:

I got all my research off the net and found Oleary;s spares, excellent and all ways offering a bit of help. Also Terry on here is a bit of a self builder with lots of usefull knowledge, if you payed your minimal subscriptions you may be able to PM him, he loves to help people. :thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I is here ::bigsmile:
Hi and welcome HalewoodChix :thumb:
first job is to find the leak/reseal the door to stop any more damp getting into your van :thumb: ooops sorry that's the second job, first is to spend the best ÂŁ10 on your van by becoming a paid funster then you can ask as many Qs as you like.::bigsmile:
Have a look at http://www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk/ and try to find a match for your interior boarding -just in case :thumb:-Most vans (you have not said what yr/make /model )are built on the same principal with an outer skin fastened to a timber frame with a inner board fastened to that and insulation in-between :thumb:You will have to remove all the furniture that the damp has got behind and then remove the inner wall board to get it dry/replace wet rotted timbers then reassemble it all :thumb::Eeek:The board could be fastened with staple type nails (easy to get off) or glued (hence the new boards)that is hard to get off in one piece.---------------before we start getting in too deep what are your skill levels? can you do what I have described?::bigsmile: Make a decision if you can do it or not ?
If not then get at least 2 or 3 quotes for the work you need doing as they will vary a lot :whatthe: Get it in writing exactly what they are going to do for the money and ask if it's possible for you to see/inspect after the boards are off and before they put them back on :thumb:It has been known for it to simply be over-boarded grab your money only for it to return a few months down the line :Eeek::Eeek:
If you can then make a start and ask away :thumb:::bigsmile::winky:
terry

OP
OP
H

HalewoodChix

Free Member
Nov 1, 2011
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2000
Thanks to everyone for their comments. My unit is a Compass Drifter 460, 1998. My skill levels are such that no job is too big, as I will ask all family members with the skills to assist.

I have started to take furniture off the walls on either side of the door and have found that the wood surrounding the door to be totally rotten. A repair early in its life, before my ownership, appears to be the reason, with a small amount of damp in the wood behind the wardrobe.
This has now been removed and the heating put on to start the drying process.

Thanks again for all comments:Smile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
You will get a lot of help and advice on this site

Welcome firstly. While I own an American RV these days which has a metal frame and fiberglass shell, I did start out many many years back with a Glendale Motorhome made on a wooden frame.

I actually visited there factory a couple of times and saw the construction of the wooden frames they used as did many of other motorhome makers. The system is much the same into the period of your motorhome.

Can I recommend you become a fully subscribed member.. best ÂŁ10 you will spend..

The fixtures such as cabinets should all just unscrew and come out. You may need to remove other items to access the actual parts you want to get to. Just take your time and look and re look.. if the damp is more than damp you may find large areas will come away.. you have seen a post that gives you a link to get the wall panelling to replace the damaged inner panels. But it is the main frame you need to get to and that will be bonded in some way to the outer skin. you may be able to take out any damaged wood and rebuild it with a bridge on the undamaged area of the frame or frames. But you do need to find out where the damp has come from.... is it a leak from the roof or where the roof joins the side... no point in doing the repairs if you do not find the cause of the issue.

You will find some form of insulation that will most lily be very damp and may need to be replaced as well.

You mention applying heat.. me I would use a dehumidifier as you want to draw the damp out and heating it may just make it swell .... but if I had to give you just a few words of advice.. locate the leak.... that has to be found and that may mean re sealing the roof to side walls or look at an roof light and see if water is getting in and running to the side wall.. look outside the box..

I wish you luck, I am sure you will get it sorted with help of information from fellow MHF members.

Bob, Sue and Ezzie the St Bernard.:thumb:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Thanks to everyone for their comments. My unit is a Compass Drifter 460, 1998. My skill levels are such that no job is too big, as I will ask all family members with the skills to assist.

I have started to take furniture off the walls on either side of the door and have found that the wood surrounding the door to be totally rotten. A repair early in its life, before my ownership, appears to be the reason, with a small amount of damp in the wood behind the wardrobe.
This has now been removed and the heating put on to start the drying process.

Thanks again for all comments:Smile:

It's not heating you need, but de-humidifying.

Get yourself the biggest dehumidifier you can hire, and leave it running 24/7.
It should take about a week.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I'm sure I could answer the question myself...but why don't uk manufactures use an aluminum structure. I have past owned two samwitch construction vans, both leaked like sieves. :rain::rain:It would make a repair much more simple.:helptitanic::helptitanic:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
100% right Buttons

I'm sure I could answer the question myself...but why don't uk manufactures use an aluminum structure. I have past owned two samwitch construction vans, both leaked like sieves. :rain::rain:It would make a repair much more simple.:helptitanic::helptitanic:

You have hit the nail on the head Buttons. My Winnebago has a full aluminum interlocking frame and the outside fiberglass panels are bonded to insulation panels the inner panels are thenapplied... with a full fiberglass end caps and roof ..ok makes the RV heavier but there is less likly any chance of a leak.. (no rubber roof on the my Winnibago). But like you I cannot see why we build on wood.

Bob

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi HalewoodChix, stick with the heat and when you think its dry give it a couple of extra days ::bigsmile: If you go with dehumidifier you need to block everything up air tight as poss-not easy in a van- or you will just be pulling more air / moisture in :winky:When you have got the inner boards off you will be able to see if the water has come through the door surround or higher up / roof - if roof you will need to get the edge trims off and seal under them ::bigsmile:Some simply clean off and seal the edges only- indeed I have come across one maker that did such a thing from new IE fitted cnr strip on dry and sealed edges ::bigsmile: Replace your wet timbers with either Tanalised or a hard wood.As already said find the leak :thumb:and seal :thumb:
terry

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I found an electric heater (not gas) and a dehumidifier to be the best.

Magnums at grimsby also stock loads of materials and are a very helpful bunch.
http://www.magnummotorhomes.co.uk

Good luck with the repairs.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
But like you I cannot see why we build on wood.
Bob

Cheap as chippies.

A wooden frame is light, cheap and low skilled in manufacture. It's been done that way since Roman times. To change to Ali would be a mega expensive move. New machines, new skills, more expensive materials, more expensive vans. It's not going to happen.

The fibreglass vans managed it by borrowing skills from boat building I guess, not many of them are there. And they are heavy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back