Motorhome crime stats for France (2 Viewers)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
doesnt matter if you are on campsites .vans still get done when on campsites . seen several over the uears .

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Tales/rumours of theft tend to relate to Motorway aires rather than aires CC. Organisations that market the use of their approved campsites abroad don't try very hard to dispel these rumours, and sometimes actively promote them in their literature.

Wherever we go (including UK) we always pack stuff inside and lock bikes up at night, close all ground level side windows regardless of outside temperature, secure the doors and alarm them, even on campsites. Common sense really.

You see loads of people leaving stuff out overnight on aires so petty theft doesn't really surprise me in those cases.

It's only a theory, but the Med coast of France is so blisteringly hot in summer it's quite likely that open windows create more targets of opportunity there than elsewhere.

My simple rule of thumb is this - if aires were nests of crime the French wouldn't use them. I've yet to see any direct evidence of robbery or meet anyone claiming it's happened on a French aire and we've used a fair few of them.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I've yet to see any direct evidence of robbery or meet anyone claiming it's happened on a French aire and we've used a fair few of them.

Had my mountain bike stolen at Cabreton aire.. during the night a thief chopped a heavy steel security cable.. took my expensive bike and left the two cheapos.. :Angry:
When we reported the theft the police said professional thieves operated in the area.. but this could happen anywhere and didn't put us off France .. while full time we toured and used French aires for full year and that was the only loss..

Spain.. another bike stolen, not from an aire or site, but while waiting outside a Lidl store.. the thief grabbed the bike and rode off right in front of my son's eyes.. that's brazen.. so lock 'em up, even if your close by..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
The main insurers association for HGV's has found NO EVIDENCE of any gassing attacks, and despite what people may think, a HGV has more value than a MH.
The places you would most be at risk, are motorway services, especially on major routes, but that is just because every natinality passes through, along with some theives.
Personally, i have just gor back from traveling in France Spain and Portugal, and I have no worries of overnighting in motorway rest areas. A lot are beoing done up we noticed, but common sense will put you right. I tend to choose one that are at least 15-20 k's from built up areas, no evidence of graffiti or piles of beer cans and not overly shielded from the road.
I close everything as previously advised, sling a ratchet strap between the front doors, and turn the alarm on so that if a door is opened (even the hab door) the alarm goes off.
Oh, and in MY years of travelling, the only place I have ever had a problem, was Cornwall!

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
We have been here for seven years, and the level of crime we have come across in the area is zero. The only incidence we have had was when Funsters were heading south on the autoroutes and stopped en route in a service area where Geo had the locks drilled out on his motorhome. We know about it because he replaced them whilst he was here.

Here at Parc Verger the site is never left unsupervised. There is an alarm on the drive that tells us of any vehicle movement (this operates day and night), and we have a barrier that is locked down at nights. Whilst we do not expect any problems, we have done our best to eliminate them.

Overall France is a very safe country to visit, as has been said in previous posts, so come and enjoy this beautiful country. If you come here, you will be welcome and as safe as we can make your stay (and you will get a Funsters discount):winky:.

Bob
www.parcverger.com

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
we,ve travelled in france for many years.The one and only incident was last year in Narbonne service station westbound.We were parked under a light ,amongst many other motorhomes and we were woken by someone in the front rummaging under the seats,Sat-navs??.He ran off when my wife shouted,who wouldn,t?
I understand that the older Fiat ducatto type like ours are quite simple to break into.we now use a ratchet strap across the front doors and I,ve fitted a Milenco security lock for the back.This year absolutely no problems,we stopped at some lovely aires and felt very secure,but always locked up and closed all windows and vents.Hope you enjoy your time in france.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

yorkinmadoc

Free Member
Oct 13, 2012
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
profile compact
Exp
We went to the U.K. with our a van, and within the time it took to 'check in' at a Premier Inn in Grantham, and going back to get our cases, I caught a man trying to gemmie the door!! He ran away when I shouted, but had done damage, this was in parking space outside reception. Here in France we have crime, mostly I have to say in the large towns, but it is here, so always be as security conscious as you would be in the U.K.

The 'old' french are honest and would more likely leave a gift than take away something which was not their's, however things have changed in the 12 years since we have owned a home in France, and now there is a trend towards what we were used to in England where if you don't lock it you lose it!

Having said all that, it is still a wonderfull place to live, with neighbours who are polite and friendly, and 'NO FERRY' before you go a wandering throughout Europe.

John:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back