Motorhome Cover and Build Up of Heat (1 Viewer)

Mr Rusty

Free Member
Apr 13, 2012
Bedford
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp
Since 1986
Friend of ours bought a cover for their coachbuilt motorhome late last year (Cover is from a reputable company offering made to measure covers made in breathable fabric). Cover was bought because they have to park their van under trees on their drive and as a result van gets filthy and covered in leaves/sap etc. Cover was first used in winter and due to lockdown stayed on until the end of June, so over the hot spells we had in Apr and Jun. Taking cover off they have noticed that the aluminium skin at the rear of the van appears to have ‘delaminated’ leaving 2 very visible indentations where we assume the manufacturer has put in reinforcement for a cycle rack (no rack fitted). The indentations being where the aluminium skin has not delaminated. The thinking is that the cover has caused heat to build up causing the delamination. This may not be the case but the manufacturer stickers on the Fiamma awning have also come unstuck and appear to have suffered from heat damage hence the conclusion that heat has built up under the cover. Has anyone else suffered from this when using a cover?

• Informative
Reactions: Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I only ever hear bad things about motorhome covers. Can't really see a need. A couple of coats of wax will see it through most things.

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Personally ..I would be surprised if it was the cover to be honest. They are what they say.."Breathable". As Jim says though..A lot of waxing on the truck prevents a fair few of the problems that we all seem to suffer with.. Black streaks etc etc. The fact you mention the truck in question has the Aluminium looking as if it was 'delaminating'..would suggest a problem with the truck surely? By that...Possibly not glued to the panel correctly in the first place and as you have mentioned regarding the hot weather earlier on..May it just have been too much for the panels and so caused Warping and thus delaminating as you put it?
Just a personal thought.

Regards Kev

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
I only ever hear bad things about motorhome covers. Can't really see a need. A couple of coats of wax will see it through most things.
Ditto, much better to invest in a good system of paint protection in our case a 'Ceramic' treatment that can can simply wash the issue off.... or try to avoid parking under trees!

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I’ve always wondered about covers on any vehicle, surely there must be some rubbing on paintwork when it’s windy!

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
My advise for what it`s worth....... DON`t USE AN ALL OVER COVER....

A good few years ago I bought a very expensive 3 - 4 layer breathable cover for an old yank car, full of chrome and bling...

Covered it up for the winter.... come spring and took the cover off and all the chrome had gone rusty and there was some very small blisters over the body work...

I know yank chrome can be rubbish.... but this cover was built by a reputable UK company..

Car would of fared better just left outside to the elements.. :smiley:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Probably totally wrong but did I not see a picture in a thread on here about a Hymer(?) rear panel that had warped \ buckled?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back