Motorhome Consumer Association MCA (1 Viewer)

DBop

Free Member
Dec 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Great plan Jim, I’ve just registered 👍

Jan 25, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1962
Jim you are indeed a Star it is just what the good motorhome doctor ordered

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just to report I didn't receive an email but no problem with registering.

Jan 10, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbe
Well done Jim, have registered, thanks

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Don’t know if you’ve seen Jim but the MCA is being discussed in the CMC chat room 👍

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
What are they saying??
Just wondering if it’s a serious consumer group or a bunch of funsters having fun.
How much is it to join?
Worked out it’s Jim started it.
It’s next door to CMC site in Sutton.

Mar 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV20
Exp
Since 2007
Good idea but ... how are you going to fund action against rogue dealers? Who is going to give the advice? How qualified will they be to offer that advice? What happens if the advice they give is wrong and results in a loss to the consumer who followed it? In principal I think it's a fantastic idea and about time there was something to represent the nearly 400k motorhome owners, but I think it would be better to have a fee, so that the "club" could have professional indemnity insurance and use proper experts.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Jim

I wonder whether the word 'Consumer' might be more associated with the likes of 'Which?' and therefore with products that already exist, whereas the group you are proposing might want to lobby for facilities which do not yet exist.

For example for 'Aires' in areas where there are little facilities, or for easing of the 3500kg limit on a 'B' licence, but that would need internatioal cooperation with similar organisations in other countries.

Maybe just dropping the word 'consumer' would be OK, leaving the title as Motorhome Association, making it similar to Automobile Association.

[Jim

I did write a longish response when you started this thread, but somehow, probably from my own mistake, it popped up with another thread title. It was obviously seen as it got one reply, but now I cannot find it in my 'Content'. Has it been deleted? If it can be found could it please be merged into this thread? Thanks]

Geoff

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I did write a longish response when you started this thread, but somehow, probably from my own mistake, it popped up with another thread title. It was obviously seen as it got one reply, but now I cannot find it in my 'Content'. Has it been deleted? If it can be found could it please be merged into this thread? Thanks]

Geoff
Geoff, think you may need to keep taking the tablets as the post I think you're referring to is in MCA not MHF!:rolleyes::whistle2:;)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Geoff, think you may need to keep taking the tablets as the post I think you're referring to is in MCA not MHF!:rolleyes::whistle2:;)
Obviously still 'flying high'! 🤪

Nov 6, 2018
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil integra
Exp
New
Good idea but ... how are you going to fund action against rogue dealers? Who is going to give the advice? How qualified will they be to offer that advice? What happens if the advice they give is wrong and results in a loss to the consumer who followed it? In principal I think it's a fantastic idea and about time there was something to represent the nearly 400k motorhome owners, but I think it would be better to have a fee, so that the "club" could have professional indemnity insurance and use proper experts.
I had the same thought - can’t possibly fault the intent, but very difficult to do this well without any funding, especially when looking at these aims:
  • An Association that does all it can to promote motorhomes and their responsible use
  • An Association that is Not For Profit and Free to join
  • One that offers advice to consumers before and after purchase
  • An Association that will go into ‘battle’ for its members’ consumer rights
  • An Association that awards the best dealers and makers plaudits and holds poorer providers to account
  • One that builds an MCA approved list of dealers and fitters who have shown that members can trust them. (I’m hoping that this will eventually defray the operating costs.)
An association can be not for profit but still charge a fee, which I would have thought might become necessary if an aim is to provide advice, presumably including legal advice. And any approved list of dealers etc would need to ensure full transparency regarding how/why dealers/fitters get put on or taken off approved lists. The funding method for how the scheme operates then gets very relevant, all of which can become a legal minefield (I’m thinking data protection law, consumer law and Equality Act/discrimination law could potentially be areas of concern).

Still, there must be ways of achieving at least some of the aims with enough will/creativity even without (much) funding. For example, if a bespoke approvals system looks a bit daunting/risky, funsters could be encouraged to place reviews on already-established sites like Checkatrade, Trustpilot and the like, the organisation then focusing efforts on raising awareness of consumer law, rights of redress, signposting to other sources of information, campaigning for improved facilities/standards and so on.

Great idea though -

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Thanks for the comments, just to bat away some of the bigger negatives

People keep saying we can't do anything without Funding? Not for profit does not mean that it won't be funded, not charging members does not mean it will not be funded.
All Funding in Not For Profits is completely transparent.
The MCA will be a non profit company limited by guarantee.
We won't be suing rogue dealers.
Any advice given will carry the usual caveats

To be taken seriously and have any clout at all the association needs numbers behind it. What I know about UK motorhomers is this. if it is free they will come and you can build a large member base quickly. Charge even £1 a year. and it will take you ten years to get to the same number. I haven't got ten years to waste. :D

Sorry if i havn't addressed your question I will. But please ask them on the MCA site as Fun will be kept distinctly separate (y)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I don’t think it was ever envisaged that the MCA would be indemnifying members for the legal costs of often frivolous actions.

It would offer support, assistance and advice but if people want to pull the trigger and issue court proceedings then quite rightly you would be on your own.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Nice to see the FaceAche page go live

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 4th January 2015, first registered in January
No prob signing up. I cannot offer anything much, hence I wont put my name forward. Plenty of ideas mentioned, but publicity/advertising would be needed, not just within the MHF group but those outside as well. Also plenty of advertising may be needed for those who are wavering/considering entering this market.

In order pay for things like this, a small subs amount I think would be in order. Say £20 to £40 per year. Not much in the overall realms of belonging to an Association. I used to belong to an Association known as DASA, the cost was for some one like me well over £250/year, and I was a council member as well. So, for something like this, who among us could not afford 20-40 uk pounds per year.

Jim has it about right, you need a committee first, Jim as temp chair to set things up, then a group of say around 9 persons including Vice Chair, Secretary, Treasurer, Advertiser, Legal adviser, and four or so more. Keep it simple at the start in Council numbers, too many gives too many voices with too many ideas = not good.

However, Jim knows what he is doing, and knows what he wants. All the best for the future.

Flook

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Jim

I have registered.

I agree a 'users' association is needed. As a lawyer i am willing to give some general advice although I doubt my skills are particularly relevant to the consumer aspects(Too 'pie-in-the-sky' - Aviation Lawyer). But I may b able to help with drafting some of the Association structure. You have my e-mail.

May I make some suggestions, only suggestions:-

Look at Royal Yachting Association, which does a similar job for yachtsmen that you are envisaging for MHomers. They have been at it a long time and have been quite effective with government and local harbours etc. They are also recognised for training and authentication - not an immediate objective, but as a possible objective it might influence government interest in recognition. Initially the authorities will be confused as to why there is a need for another organisation apart from the Clubs. I could 'advise' on that.

Not in the short term, but keep it as an objective, of having bonds with continental similar organisations, e.g. French in particular, because they seem to be quite strong. An Association could help them in UK and vice-versa.

I am not sure about 'Free to Join', except in the initial stags to get momentum, but it would be a shame if later, when it were deemed necessary to charge to achieve objectives, that members drifted away because they thought it would always be free. Jim you have some experience of free/paying membership, but this might need some tweeks on that model.

Of course the Association's ability to achieve goals for its Members will come up against some authorities and in that respect it becomes in some way 'political' with a small 'p', in that it may need to alter existing policies developed by political bodies controlled by political parties. At that point it should bemade clear that the Association is non-political and is only acting in the general interests of its members rights to be heard and not against any political or party organisation. I only make the point at this early stage because it will inevitably come up down the line and needs to b address ab initio.

I suggest that the gestation period should be quite long, but at the same time drawing in members, before the association writes it rules and decides on structure - just so that we get it right for objectives and members. Too long and momentum is lost - delicate balance.

These are just the thoughts asked for.

Good Luck Jim - and all Members.

Geoff Nicholson

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

Thanks.

I have never opened that website, so there must have been a link across which I clicked on.

I have now copied and posted in here.

Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back