Motorhome collection/delivery (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I have just had a van collected from Surrey and delivered to Durham. The cost for me to carry out this operation was working out at over £300. After contacting a company called XL Transport the job was carried out much, much cheaper.
The owner, David Barker, was a true professional from the first phone call to delivery.
It was collected when he said along with a phone call to give an estimated delivery time and it arrived at my door 7 hours later. Included in the price was fully comp. insurance and fuel, as it wasn't taxed he used his trade plates.
He operates all over Europe as well as the UK and was one of the most reliable companies I have had the pleasure to deal with.
So if you need it moved give him a try.
Tel 07588 534088 or email him at xlcartransport@gmail.com

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
dont know how they could do it at £300.... never mind less.

when i did recovery ('98 to '02) we charged £1 per mile (return) for those without recovery option who wanted taking home.

that return trip would have cost you around £550 back then :Eeek:

OP
OP
wiljoy
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
dont know how they could do it at £300.... never mind less.

when i did recovery ('98 to '02) we charged £1 per mile (return) for those without recovery option who wanted taking home.

that return trip would have cost you around £550 back then :Eeek:

Signs of the times.
It was going to cost me £300 to collect, £200 for air and train, then fuel plus insurance. They did the job for £160, yes unbelievable. In my trade as a signwriter back in the 90's I was signing a LWB Transit for £180 and now some are charging less than £100.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
sounds like slave labour to me.....

the fuel cost would be around £65....cheap train ticket home, maybe £50 so an 8hr day for £45..........I wouldnt do it for, basically, pocket money :Eeek:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
sounds like slave labour to me.....

the fuel cost would be around £65....cheap train ticket home, maybe £50 [HI]so an 8hr day for £45.[/HI].........I wouldnt do it for, basically, pocket money :Eeek:

just about minimum wages John.. lot's of folk get little more .. :Sad:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Prob hitched it home with trade plates so extra £50 in his pocket :winky:
terry

OP
OP
wiljoy
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Just out of interest o all posts I dropped the driver at Durham station. He was catching a train to Doncaster to collect another car for delivery to London then picking another up to bring to Newcastle. Next week he is delivering a vehicle to Southern Italy and collecting one from the same town to bring back. He estimates to be back home by Wednesday/Thursday. I cannot help but laugh, as the truckers are limited to such a short driving day and these couriers just cover thousands of miles unhindered. They to can fall asleep but as not restricted to hours or miles.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
A friend of ours worked for a firm delivering and collecting cars, as he was bored once he'd retired. Collecting, they'd often have to do a detour on the way back to pick up a driver who had delivered one somewhere else. Got an idea it was summat to do with Securicor as he worked for them pre retirement as a van driver - parcels etc, not money!

Or maybe the car people just liked taking on ex Securicor as long as they hadn't been sacked LOL, cos they'd know they must be pretty honest?

No idea what he was paid but he only worked a couple of days a week so as not to affect his pension etc.

Jan 5, 2017
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class I690
Exp
I'm a no longer a newbie, just older
Having been trying to deliver my sold motorhome since October due to Covid and licence restrictions, I have just used David Barker to transport my motorhome from Cheltenham to its new owner in Scotland, after finding this MotorhomeFun thread from 2012 and he is still in business. Fully insured with a C1 licence and with all the necessary transport licence paperwork to operate during lockdown he did an excellent job. Arrived when he promised and delivered it on time to its new owner at a very cost effective price.

So if you need it moved give him a try.
Tel 07588 534088 or email him at xlcartransport@gmail.com

May 29, 2020
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Columbus
Exp
Since March 2024
Hello Geordie Boy, do you know if they have a website. All I've found is XL cars from Winchester who do chauffeuring. I am an experienced plated driver myself on furlough and find the prospect of international work appealing.

Macfi

Free Member
Mar 1, 2021
Funster No
MH
Eldiss cv40
Hello Geordie boy I cannot find a website for this company trying to do a bit of research on them as I want to move an expensive motorhome

Apr 12, 2017
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 140
Exp
Signs of the times.
It was going to cost me £300 to collect, £200 for air and train, then fuel plus insurance. They did the job for £160, yes unbelievable. In my trade as a signwriter back in the 90's I was signing a LWB Transit for £180 and now some are charging less than £100.
Sadly these days it's a rush to the bottom :(

Apr 12, 2017
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 140
Exp
Just out of interest o all posts I dropped the driver at Durham station. He was catching a train to Doncaster to collect another car for delivery to London then picking another up to bring to Newcastle. Next week he is delivering a vehicle to Southern Italy and collecting one from the same town to bring back. He estimates to be back home by Wednesday/Thursday. I cannot help but laugh, as the truckers are limited to such a short driving day and these couriers just cover thousands of miles unhindered. They to can fall asleep but as not restricted to hours or miles.
I taxi'd for several years after taking redundancy from the corporate world and used to say the same about our trade i.e. no limitations on the hours we could spend at the wheel. Maybe not as dangerous as falling asleep at the wheel of a 40 foot arctic but still dangerous nonetheless.

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Isnt it great to hear of good customer service anywhere, I bloody love it when it happens and always drop the company a line to say thanks afterwards.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back