LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Swifter that said, it's like any business, you have to find the customers who suit your business model, read, are prepared to pay a decent rate for a decent job. That's the hard part, not doing the graft istself.

Can I ask what you do for a living now?
Good points 👍🏻. I am currently in a sales role . Some overnight stays away that seem to be increasing and fancy a career change . This may not be the right thing for me , just asking about a bit 👍🏻

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Good points 👍🏻. I am currently in a sales role . Some overnight stays away that seem to be increasing and fancy a career change . This may not be the right thing for me , just asking about a bit 👍🏻
There's always more than one way to skin a cat I used to do valeting (domestic) when I was younger and employed. The bloke I worked for was a fair man, if we did a valeting job on a Saturday morning we would try to get a car to do on the way home. It was my job to find the car to do, which I normally did as that was my weekly bonus.

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
I think I can understand the rates, as silly as they seem!

There was a point in my life when had work didn't scare me.

Well I was never scared of it, just times when I was happy to avoid it.

My working philosophy work as so;

Next year I want to;

Spend 12 weeks in Spain flying.
Spend six weeks in Austria skiing.
I need a new vehicle the lease payments are £x.xx
I need £x.xx for mortgage payments.

And onwards to detail how much I needed to earn so as to fund my year.

Coss reference the Year Planner how many weeks remained to work, mutiplied into days and hours.

That gave me the hourly rate I needed to invoice my services out at.

I was good at what I did, I was always in demand so finding work was not difficult but a lower £/Hr rate did no harm.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
It would have to be reasonable prices. High turnover small profit like asda/wetherspoons.

We used to work for an electronics company in Derby and would often see the small valeting van in the car park, while there he'd do a lot of the directors posh cars. Was a small van like a berlingo with everything in it required. If you get the customer base it will make you a reasonable living I'm sure.

OP
OP
Swifter

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Thanks for all the replies on this one . It seems the prices are very low in some areas of the country , maybe down to competition.
I’ve never considered paying someone to come and clean my motorhome but if a leaflet was posted through my door I might consider it .

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Thanks for all the replies on this one . It seems the prices are very low in some areas of the country , maybe down to competition.
I’ve never considered paying someone to come and clean my motorhome but if a leaflet was posted through my door I might consider it .
The way to stop messers/scroges is to put guide prices on your website. 6 meters £xx, 7 meters £xx, and so on then confirm a price when they've sent you some pictures. Seems to sort the wheat from the chaff for a friend of mine who does pressure washing.

James-Alex

Free Member
Oct 3, 2020
Bath. Somerset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail excel 640G
THIS chap came to my house last year. I had the Premium Exterior Valet for £140. He spent 7 hours, with only a short break. I certainly couldn't have worked at it for that long. Very impressive when he'd finished.
I’ve seen his website before. Tempted to do the campsite stay over one day

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
In the one year we had our van, a 7.5mt Coachbuilt i washed and chammied twice, washed chammied,and waxed/polished once. 3 hours and 5 hours respectively. (and knackered after)
So i would say £100 and £150 would not be unreasonable.

Compared to our window cleaner who charges £14 for a 4 bed house and he's done in 10 mins. Above rates would be a bargain.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
You're not going to make a living through just motorhome/caravan washes IMO. The mass market is cars so you should aim at those, include vans though by all means, you'll do a few a year probably 👍

Aug 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Wildax
Exp
~20 years
We've got ours booked to be done on our drive on Monday. Not had it done before so will have to see how it comes out, but we are paying £85 for a hand wash and polish and wax including the roof. Its being done by Pegasus caravan valeting from Redditch and they get very good reviews. More than happy to pay this a couple of times a year if they do a good job, especially the roof.
I'm in the Worcester area. Very interested in how good they are.

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
Whoever you use just ensure that they don't use too much water pressure around the seams, leading to future water ingress problems.
I've watched these guys cleaning cars with huge pressure hoses, I wouldn't let them near my car never mind my motorhome, use a reputable guy that knows what he's doing.
Expensive, yes, but still much cheaper than the possible damage caused by some idiot who just blasts everything away including the seals around the joints.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
I asked a guy who I work with who does car detailing how much would he charge me to wash and polish my Motorhome?
I told him that I normally use Autoglym Resin.
He quoted me £150 and that was with me helping him.
He said if I supplied the products, he’d consider £100.
I asked him if Autoglym Resin was the best product to use and he said it was at the low end for cutting into the GRP panels.

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
I took my 7.2m motorhome to a valeter (is there such a word?) last summer and he quoted me the equivalent of £100 for a hand wash and wax and he assured me he would do the roof. This seemed quite reasonable so I booked in. I had been quoted the equivalent of £350 elsewhere.
When I returned to collect the van I could see he had not done the roof. In fact, there was a distinct line across the Luton showing where he had stopped. I queried this and he said, “No I didn’t do the roof ‘cos when I checked my insurance policy I found I wouldn’t be covered”.
It is very hard for me to find anywhere that will do my motorhome and I have to insist they do not physically climb onto the roof.
The best motorhome clean I had was by a team of East Europeans at Ashby-de-la-Zouch in 2016. They charged £60 and gave me a complimentary air freshener for the cab.

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
My van was washed and polished once a week in colville, for £15 per week but paid the a month in advance for discount, they were all Albanians, all gone back brexit/covid. So if you are ever in Albania, you might get a good rate.
Really! All the Albanians I know would have to be dragged kicking and screaming back to Albania.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
I be used Mike (motor home valet) in the past and found him very good. Came to house and worked on the drive. Sure he is/was a funster.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
If it wants a quick wash then Tescos guys do it at £20
Couple of times a year it gets a serious wash ( at home ) by a local chap who charges £50
Once a year proper wash and polish and wax at £100 ( though I have not had it done this year partly due to very little travel and partly due to finances )

Jan 4, 2018
Funster No
I'm in the Worcester area. Very interested in how good they are.
Would definitely recommend Pegasus caravan cleaning after using them for the first time today. Very professional and friendly and very pleased with the results. Worked flat out for a solid 3 hours and never stopped. He certainly won't need a trip to the gym this week. Cost £75 but looks worth hundreds of pounds more now and I was never going to get it looking like this which would have been a real shame as its still in good condition. Hopefully well worth it just to help maintain its value.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Can I just say most if not all of the Supermarket and small car cleaning places, Eastern European’s, use TFR.

This is Traffic Film Remover it was developed to clean curtain sided lorries.

It is highly acidic and will do your vehicles no favours and will strip any wax or coatings on your vehicles.

Just in case no one knows 👍😊

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
If you have the ceramic coating make sure he doesn't put it on any GRP bits, the coating are harmful to GRP.
You have mentioned this before Lenny, be great if you could give some evidence/reports as our grp bonnet was an issue which had a ceramic coating but the adjacent grp panels are not an issue at all. It would help the industry if there was some clear guidance based on science.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Can I just say most if not all of the Supermarket and small car cleaning places, Eastern European’s, use TFR.

This is Traffic Film Remover it was developed to clean curtain sided lorries.

It is highly acidic and will do your vehicles no favours and will strip any wax or coatings on your vehicles.

Just in case no one knows 👍😊
Is this the same ‘snow foam’?

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
We have our van cleaned regularly
It’s 8.6m long
3.5m high
A full wash and chamois, including the roof
Wheel treatment

£50

or to include a ceramic coating afterwards
£100
Which neck of the woods is this ?

Jan 22, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
DAF LF Conversion
Exp
Since 2013
For anyone who can't understand the prices, just remember that the people doing this may only have the option of minimum wage jobs. Anything above that and they're, in their eyes, onto a winner. (Plus overheads contributions of course, which again, can be quite low. £5million public liability costs me just over 300 quid per year.)

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
We have our van cleaned regularly
It’s 8.6m long
3.5m high
A full wash and chamois, including the roof
Wheel treatment

£50

or to include a ceramic coating afterwards
£100
I thought the rational for a ceramic coating was you only needed to do it once - then the whole subsequent cleaning process becomes so much easier. It is with our anyhow. Sides and back takes 1 1/2 hours max, roof 2 hours including the fiddly bit around the skylights, sat disk and roof top hot tub.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Also if earning a bit of cash then their earnings are low on paper and can get tax credits or housing benefits, but I am sure someone will be along to say the exact opposite. Haha

Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
THIS chap came to my house last year. I had the Premium Exterior Valet for £140. He spent 7 hours, with only a short break. I certainly couldn't have worked at it for that long. Very impressive when he'd finished.
I have used Mike @ Motorhome Valet several times, staying at a pub where he did the valeting the next day. Would have no problem recommending him to anybody. First rate job (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back