Motorhome/caravan (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Try turning around down one of the many narrow dead end lanes that 'appear' out of nowhere :eek:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
I don't really see how it can be simpler with a caravan ....

You have to hitch up, tow, unhitch, roll water around.... there is grief when shopping (on route).....they are WIDE..... mpg is horrendous ..... you can't use Aires, Sostas or Stellplatze........ I could go on and on :eek:

On the other hand if you want to park for a week, 3 times a year........ they're fantastic (y)

It is a choice thing :rolleyes:
i spend about 6 months away in mine in winter . last winter other than pulling the unit forward so i could adjust the trucks brakes easier , i never un hitched at all. i can still use supermarket car parks . dont roll any water around just park near the tap or font.
i dont use aires but have done no probs .
as to the width its 7ft 6ins .
driving it is no probs .
maybe some driving lessons in bigger vehicles would help some folks . but its easy. cant see a problem .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you reverse out of narrow lanes . if not i can turn mine around on a two lane road easily . 18 ft with a pavement or twenty foot wide road easy . possibly easier than a motor home .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
20ft trailer. it can be jackknifed in reverse and turn where ever you can turn a twenty foot m,home .
surprises many how its turning circle is so small.
plus we can have 7 belted seats . carry enough fuel for over a thousand miles , have plenty of payload for vino etc .carry m,bikes . wild where ever its no trouble .

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
When we had the caravan the kids were at home and we stayed on sites all the time. Now just the 2 of us we got the motorhome which we enjoy apart from the hassle with 12v and egr on the engine, none of which we had when caravaning as on site all the time. I know now older I would not enjoy the big sites as all we want is quiet now.
Don't really understand. Caravan & MH 12v systems are almost identical. EGR is on all recent Diesel vehicles (and some petrol).

OP
OP
Ivory55

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
We never had solar etc on caravan like I said just plugged in on site. The car seems to go ok no trouble just the van. As I said think motorhome is suited to more mechanical minded, I found the caravan a lot easier

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Confused on the EGR valve issue as well. Is there some thing about MHs / commercial vehicles that makes them more prone to EGR problems than the ones fitted to cars ? I know my son has had lots of trouble with the EGR on his Fiat punto.

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
The Motorhome gives you total freedom in most of Europe. We fulltimed for over 7 1/2 years and only ever used campsites when we came back to the UK. Normally about 5 weeks per year to see the kids grandkids get the motorhome motorbike and car MOTd. Car was left in UK all the time with the battery on charge. Always started.

steve & ann. -------------- teensvan

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
@Ivory55 Well it sounds to me like you have made your mind up............... so why wait? Sell the MH and buy a caravan now, the season is still good and people want to buy now too (y)

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
I have both and if I had to choose I would get dump the Motorhome super quick .
Not having a car when were away with the Motorhome is a total pain in the derriere at times , we use to tour Spain every winter with the caravan and never had any issues with towing or reversing but then if your not a competent or confident driver I can see why a Motorhome would be easier for some less able drivers :whistle2::whistle2::whistle2:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ivory55

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I like easy, when the kitchen was done had all the white goods free standing so if they went wrong could just pull them out and bin it for a new one. Not the hassle of built in.

UK Pete

Free Member
Jan 16, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Renault van conversion
Exp
on/off since 1991in campervanss
I could not decide which was best so i got both and solar LOL
IMAG0258_zpspm1vhwpc.jpg

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Which ever you find is right for you is ok personally if I only toured in UK I would have a caravan and I can seethe time coming but whilst I can ride a scooter with swmbo on the back I'll stick to a mh

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Have c/vanned/m.h/c/van,now m.h. Only had ONE static,due to daughters marriage breaking up. She had bought a house,but i wanted to give her a bolt hole to escape to from the pressure at weekends when she returned to England.
When she was sorted and moved on with her life,we sold it quick sharp,not a thing i will be buying again.Does that focus your mind a bit about Statics?
I would love both,but cannot justify the cost of another c/van. We can go to the beach any day and stay over if the mood takes us with the m/home,and when back in england,can call in at mates along our route/s and have our own bed to sleep in if we are enjoying ourselves.
About sites,we were on Setthorns when it was the Foresty Commission site with a c/van,overstayed at a mates in Newbury,to see the Badgers that came into his garden of a night to feed.Realising we were going to be late,he offered to put us up for the night,i rang the site and was told."As long as you are in for midnight and are quiet coming in,that is OK by us,however,if you want to stay over,i will go around your pitch last thing and again in the morning"
We came back to the site,"Wardens?"... Thats another plus from me. Do whats best for you,everybody is different,my sister is a "Hotel" person,came down to the beach on the Isle of Widget to see us..... Stockings and court? shoes,whatever rocks your boat,DO IT.
Tea Bag aka Styg ! "Of the Dump LOL"

voyagerstan

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
torquay sometimes
Funster No
MH
library bus (ford voyager
Exp
since1976
Yeh you tell em Al . Don't see a problem either turn mine easy on a six pence :pinocchio:STAN

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
I like easy, when the kitchen was done had all the white goods free standing so if they went wrong could just pull them out and bin it for a new one. Not the hassle of built in.

You can't base every decision of how easy it is the change stuff if it goes wrong, else you'd be living in a cave and beating your clothes on a rock in the river to clean them.

We did think one time that the best combo would be a camper van pulling a caravan, you'd get on a pitch and have transport, while sleeping / cooking in a caravan and could use the camper for sleeping in if away from the caravan for a night or so. Even use the camper to go to Festivals. But then after looking into it seriously and comparing the idea to having the MH, we realised that the MH fills our needs so much better !!

Each to their own of course!

OP
OP
Ivory55

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
The kitchen was based on economics as well, by the time you lost a days wages waiting for the repair man , his call out charge , then he has to order the special part and come back another day it's cheaper to bin it and get another.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
my MH has a turning circle of 4.35m. Car alone needs 10.1m :LOL:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I don't see how you can get to see much of where you are, if you are on the move every day, or even every two days.

:cooler:
I see what I want out the window. I'm normally moving before 7 at the latest, depending on what time stopped & how tired. I've even left at 2am

Confused on the EGR valve issue as well. Is there some thing about MHs / commercial vehicles that makes them more prone to EGR problems than the ones fitted to cars ? I know my son has had lots of trouble with the EGR on his Fiat punto.

No, no difference they are all s***e. Along with cats & Dpf's.(n):)

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
my MH has a turning circle of 4.35m. Car alone needs 10.1m :LOL:

Lifted from a review,

"Although a large van, the Ducato is easy to manoeuvre and park. The turning circle is 11m for the short wheelbase version, 12.46m for medium and 14.28m for long wheelbase models. Compared to a short wheelbase VW Crafter, which has a 12.3m turning circle, the Ducato is an agile machine."

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I don't see how you can get to see much of where you are, if you are on the move every day, or even every two days.

Well guess what, we like the way we use it you see and are really happy. I see you have a caravan that suits you. If we were all the same it would be a very boring world wouldn't it.

Oldyamyam

Free Member
May 4, 2012
France
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 1991
I'm not out for a 'bun fight' :rolleyes: Caravans are simply rubbish! end of :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: ;)

What makes you make a statement like this with out giving a reason?
Have you ever towed a caravan? Have you ever had a caravan?

Try turning around down one of the many narrow dead end lanes that 'appear' out of nowhere :eek:

I have been towing caravans for the past Twenty years or so and have never had a narrow dead end lane appear out of nowhere,
That sounds like bad map reading to me, or maybe using a car satnav instead of a motorhome satnav.
But if That did happen my motor mover would soon solve the problem.

Dave

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back