Motorhome Camper tyres versus Van tyres (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
KeefieWeefie

KeefieWeefie

Free Member
Dec 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 520
Exp
Since 2012
I couldn't agree more, I enjoy a healthy debate, even if its an agree to disagree point which is being debated.
I'm flexible enough to apologise or have my mind changed if I think I'm wrong & I am often wrong lol.

I just base my opinions on experience & anyone who doesn't want to read what I write can simply pass on to the next post, easy.
Just why some folks get incandescent of something on here baffles me, especially when a post isn't aimed at them specifically.

Even when I disagree strongly with a mate, the minute the debate is over, put it behind you & enjoy each others company, that's always worked for me.

Kind regards....Robert.
I agree with you regarding KF! I haven't used them for donkeys years because they have always been the most expensive option but on this occasion after much googling KF turned out to be the cheapest option for these particular tyres which were highly recommended overall! First time for donkeys years that KF were the cheapest option! Cheers!?

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
Not getting involved in the benefits or otherwise of camper tyres but 2 questions.

Is a PVC a motorhome?

Has anybody bought a new PVC where the original commercial tyres have been changed to camper tyres?

Mine certainly had commercial tyres fitted.

1. I would say yes, but on my V5, it calls my Semi-integrated Rimor a "motorcaravan". I don't know how a PVC motorhome is described on a V5.

I suspect that there is a snobbery factor, mainly founded on length envy ::bigsmile: ::bigsmile:

motorhome.jpg.png

2. Never had a PVC, so sorry.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
1. I would say yes, but on my V5, it calls my Semi-integrated Rimor a "motorcaravan". I don't know how a PVC motorhome is described on a V5.
All Motorhomes are shown as a Motor Caravan on the V5 unless its a PVC where the converter has used a pre registered van and not had the V5 changed.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
I agree with you regarding KF! I haven't used them for donkeys years because they have always been the most expensive option but on this occasion after much googling KF turned out to be the cheapest option for these particular tyres which were highly recommended overall! First time for donkeys years that KF were the cheapest option! Cheers!?
[/QUO
Kwikfit are odd, in that, the prices are very much lower if you order online and choose your local depot to fit, rather than get a price at the local depot.
When I was considering Michelin Agilis Campers a couple of years ago, the online price was £110 fitted but when I enquired at the depot they were £164.

Deleted User

I suspect that there is a snobbery factor, mainly founded on length envy ::bigsmile: ::bigsmile:

View attachment 361936

2. Never had a PVC, so sorry.

My question relating to PVC's being motorhomes was largely rhetorical and asked mainly to illustrate my second question.
PVC's are motorhomes and are used in exactly the same way as other, possibly larger motorhomes, but are invariably supplied with the base van commercial tyres.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Kwikfit are odd, in that, the prices are very much lower if you order online and choose your local depot to fit, rather than get a price at the local depot.
When I was considering Michelin Agilis Campers a couple of years ago, the online price was £110 fitted but when I enquired at the depot they were £164.
Same with National tyres it's how the big companies operate. Halfords are the same with tyres not so bad on other products now. You used to go in the shelf price was a lot hight so get out your phone order it online and walk out with it at the lower price.
They rely on the gullibility of consumers 9/10 just accept the shelf price.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
My question relating to PVC's being motorhomes was largely rhetorical and asked mainly to illustrate my second question.
PVC's are motorhomes and are used in exactly the same way as other, possibly larger motorhomes, but are invariably supplied with the base van commercial tyres.
A lot of it comes down to what the chassis manufacturer fits. Generally Fiat camper chassis the 35t chassis has Conti Campers & the 4.5t Michelin Campers.
Before anyone tears me to bits I did say generally and this tends to be the case in Germany where most European Motorhomes are made.

Apr 26, 2016
South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur LVX 9
Exp
since 2000
M-J is correct,
The difference between commercial (Van) Tyres
and motorhome specific tyres,
is the tyre wall construction, the M'home variety are stiffer (stronger) to cater for
the tyre being stationary in the same position, for sometimes weeks on end,
My option has through experience been to use
"GOODYEAR" commercial (Van) tyres,and fit new set,
(irrespective) of the amount of tread depth remaining,
at around every 4 years,

Jan 16, 2017
Hillingdon
Funster No
MH
Vantage Med
Exp
Since 2017
One part of the decision on tyres for me would include ride quality. My medium wheelbase 3.5T PVC was delivered with Continental vancontact 100 tyres with Fiat recommended tyre pressures of 60/65 psi front/rear. I had the van weighed and in discussion with Continental I run the pressures at 47/50 psi front/ rear. This lower pressure makes a very significant improvement to ride comfort.
The thought of fitting specific Campervan tyres with stiffer side walls and running at significant higher tyre pressures would fill me with dread. Has anyone made the switch either way and what was the effect on ride quality?
My van weighs about 3.2T on the road and is used at least once a month and I have had no problems with the tyres.

Deleted User
A lot of it comes down to what the chassis manufacturer fits. Generally Fiat camper chassis the 35t chassis has Conti Campers & the 4.5t Michelin Campers.
Before anyone tears me to bits I did say generally and this tends to be the case in Germany where most European Motorhomes are made.

I realise that but PVC's are converted vans and as far as I know the vans come with commercial tyres despite the ultimate use of the van as a camper.

Deleted User
One part of the decision on tyres for me would include ride quality. My medium wheelbase 3.5T PVC was delivered with Continental vancontact 100 tyres with Fiat recommended tyre pressures of 60/65 psi front/rear. I had the van weighed and in discussion with Continental I run the pressures at 47/50 psi front/ rear. This lower pressure makes a very significant improvement to ride comfort.
The thought of fitting specific Campervan tyres with stiffer side walls and running at significant higher tyre pressures would fill me with dread. Has anyone made the switch either way and what was the effect on ride quality?
My van weighs about 3.2T on the road and is used at least once a month and I have had no problems with the tyres.

My 2012 PVC had Conti commercial tyres which I replaced in 2017 because of age with the same.

Last year I decided that the rims needed refurbishing which would probably have cost around£150 but a funster was selling 5 little used Michelin camper tyres on rims in very good condition for £200 so it didn't need a lot of thinking about.

Mine is rated at 3500kg and I run these at F 4.5, R 4.8 (65, 70), the ride seemed noticeably better on the camper tyres though it is difficult to be objective.

Our van is our only vehicle and is used all year with a mileage of 10/12000 miles.

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
OMG! I don't!

I can barely spell tires tyers tyres? I know nothing about them., except that they are usually black and round.

I am an ex-tugger who has been engined now for three years - and loving it. I have never had bad advice from anyone on here - although occasionally it is differed completely ::bigsmile:

What is good about Motorhomefun is exactly that. "Cut the red wire", "No, cut the blue", "NO, cut them both... and use an angle grinder." People don't give bad advice, they just advise on the basis of the best of their experience. So it gets a tad passionate.

Anyhoo. This thread has solidified what I am going to do when I need new boots. They will have side walls made of tungsten, a weight index of 85 tonnes and tread so deep you can hide in it.

Any recommendations? Or is the sensible thing to wait and see what new camper-appropriate tyre has been developed?

D

As you are so passionate about the best tires, I thought you would be able to back up your opinion with facts, rather than a poke at my spelling ability.

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
As you are so passionate about the best tires, I thought you would be able to back up your opinion with facts, rather than a poke at my spelling ability.

Errr... I wasn't.
You spelt tyres correctly. I was making a joke about how little I know about tyres.

I don't want to ruin what I feel has been a very helpful subject so I'll go and find another topic somewhere else where I don't have to tread so carefully as this one may be getting a little high pressured.

Thanks all.

Deleted User
Errr... I wasn't.
You spelt tyres correctly. I was making a joke about how little I know about tyres.

I don't want to ruin what I feel has been a very helpful subject so I'll go and find another topic somewhere else where I don't have to tread so carefully as this one may be getting a little high pressured.

Thanks all.

I did wonder what that was all about as he had spelled tyres correctly the first time!

OP
OP
KeefieWeefie

KeefieWeefie

Free Member
Dec 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 520
Exp
Since 2012
Errr... I wasn't.

Thanks all.
Thanks for your input anyway. As you said it's been interesting and I'm guessing that we all know a lot more about tyres than we did before!

Its only me

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Newton Aycliffe
Funster No
MH
coachbuild
Exp
Since 2011
As long as the ply and load rating is right they are legal, they may not last as long and the walls could crack prematurely. I suspect your rear axle is rated at 2000kg.

Garratt

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Miskin
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer D55+
Exp
Since 2017
My Rapido Dreamer D55+ is a PVC and was supplied new from the factory with Michelin Agilis Camper tyres. When I come to change them, I will fit winter tyres, possibly Michelin Alpin. To my knowledge, there are no camper specific winter tyres, and yet they are a legal requirement in Some countries during the winter months.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
My Autotrail Tribute pvc came supplied new with Agilis Camper tyres, I ran them at lower pressure because of the harsh ride, but changed the fronts to Cross Climates when they needed replacements, for better grip and ride. I feel it is down to your use whether you have CP or not. My van is used at least twice a week in winter, with winter trips to Spain etc. so I do not think CPs are appropriate. It does not stand for months without moving, and we rarely stay on one site for more than a few days, a week is a long time in one place for us, we tend to tour. At least 10k miles a year. The grip on CPs is abysmal.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
See post by Ambulancekidd he absolutely spot on and please pass to all and sundry. Why because I was a Police Weighing Officer and vehicle examiner in a past life and see my post about overweight vehicles. Change your tyres every three years and sell the old ones on e bay ( Just sold michelin agelis for £50 each new tyres in at £90 win win) Van drivers are more than happy as new tyre is £130 plus, old tyre with about 5000 miles on equals bargain just be honest as in *been on motorhome less than 10000 miles loads of tread fitted in 20** and they are queuing out the door . Commercial van tyres are fine on a motorhome after all what is the chassis designed for? The answer is commercial load carrying up to 7.5 tonnes or even heavier. There appears to be a mindset that because the m/home is restricted to 3.5 tonnes then the tyres must be also..............NO THE TYRES ARE RATED WELL ABOVE 3..5 TONNES and yes I did the course at Michelin on tyres Stop paying over the odds for a stupid symbol on the tyre it makes no difference at all its all about the speed and ply rating see post by DDJC and JIm please shut this post down as my head is hurting!

Nov 19, 2010
Walking the dog
Funster No
MH
Hymer 680 Starline
Exp
since 2012
Not getting involved in the benefits or otherwise of camper tyres but 2 questions.

Is a PVC a motorhome?

Has anybody bought a new PVC where the original commercial tyres have been changed to camper tyres?

Mine certainly had commercial tyres fitted.

Looking at the IH website a couple of days ago and see their new van's fitted with Conti Vanco's

Terry

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Don't understand this thread!

The alternative to not fitting appropriate tyres is at the very least, an increased chance of a tyre failure, when you are trying to get somewhere. The very worst is an increased chance or wiping out your van and the occupants. If my handbook says I need a minimum of 800 kg per wheel, my paranoia orders me to go for 1200kg or higher!!

A cheap van tyre is a bit less than 100 quid. A tyre designed for a motorhome can be north of 150 quid. Total difference for four tyres is therefore about £200. My family is worth more than that!!

My question isn't whether, on balance, a moho or van tyre is a better idea - to me, it's bloody obvious. I would like to know funsters opinion on which motorhome tyre, best balances value with overall safety on the road.

I'm 225 75 16" Ducato Maxi 3800mm, 3500kg.
I confess I did not trawl through every post on this thread!!!!!!!
But to suggest that a van tyre is less safe than a motorhome one is a very rash statement in my honest opinion!!!!!
We couldn't get motorhome tyres with an appropriate load rating for our van so bought Continental all season tyres with excess rating for each wheel-------- we are TOTALLY confident that these will give continued safe service for some time yet!!!!------- so far they have been every bit as good as we expected!!!!

Garry - June

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Pershore, Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia
Exp
Interesting thread folks...even more so, as this week I removed the 225 75 16 Michelin Agilis camper tyres off my Tag axle A class after finding one cracking and starting to bulge/deform ….and replaced them with Nexen Roadian CT8 commercial tyres 121 load rating....Now to replace with the original Michelins would have cost around £1000...the Nexens cost £560 fully fitted....now I fully accept cost should not be a deciding factor although as you can see the saving is pretty significant...but I actually think the Nexens are better tyres...they have a higher load rating than the Michelins and when I inspected the Michelins when I had removed them against the Nexens it was quite surprising just how much more substantial the sidewalls were on the Nexens...also now having driven on them there seems a noticeable improvement in ride and feel...whether this is just due to them being new as opposed to the old Michelins I don't know...time will tell....all I can say is so far I am more than satisfied with my choice and decision and can highly recommend them for anyone looking to replace their tyres in the near future..

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
After a lot of pondering, finally removed the wrong size twelve year old 205/70 15 Michelin Agilis tyres and fitted the correct to the handbook 215/70 15 Michelin Agilis Green X Camper tyres. Did a couple of hundred mikes in storm Dennis. Van felt pretty much the same as it was on the old tyres!

fullfat

Free Member
Nov 27, 2017
The North
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Interesting thread folks...even more so, as this week I removed the 225 75 16 Michelin Agilis camper tyres off my Tag axle A class after finding one cracking and starting to bulge/deform ….and replaced them with Nexen Roadian CT8 commercial tyres 121 load rating....Now to replace with the original Michelins would have cost around £1000...the Nexens cost £560 fully fitted....now I fully accept cost should not be a deciding factor although as you can see the saving is pretty significant...but I actually think the Nexens are better tyres...they have a higher load rating than the Michelins and when I inspected the Michelins when I had removed them against the Nexens it was quite surprising just how much more substantial the sidewalls were on the Nexens...also now having driven on them there seems a noticeable improvement in ride and feel...whether this is just due to them being new as opposed to the old Michelins I don't know...time will tell....all I can say is so far I am more than satisfied with my choice and decision and can highly recommend them for anyone looking to replace their tyres in the near future..
I've Run Nexen tyres on Range Rover for the last 10000 miles,great tyres imo, the Landrover snobs pooh pooh them but I've found different

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
We had cheap Avon van tyres on MH when we purchased it.
Side walls cracked within 2 years
Contacted Michelin for advise told can only use camper tyres. When explain not winter rated so could not use in Germany during winter they were unable to provide a solution. I found their emails aggressive and tbh so far up their own ****
Contacted Conti complete opposite, very friendly
Recommended either vancontact4season or their prev model Vanco FourSeason
Could not find anyone with 4season so opted for Vanco FourSeason
We upgraded from 215 to 225 at same time.
As prev pointed out lots of vans inc RVs cannot have camper tyres as cannot get the correct size
Appreciate majority (but not all) manufacturers put Mitch camper on a standard but thats because
1. Negotiated a good price
2. Easier for them to just say thats our recommendation.

So long as the load is correct, you have a good thread and running at close to correct psi no issues what so ever.

You will always get the purists saying camper tyres bit true be told as others have said Van tyres can be better and several van tyres are actually more expensive than campers

My van tyres were more expensive than campers and as Hettie already said like myself Conti actually recomended thier allseason tyres over campers
I gave them my axle weights fully loaded and ave loaded and they gave me the correct psi.

I run conti in my own car also and prefer them over pirelli, bridstone and goodyear. But each to their own. I love contis

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back