Motorhome broken into whilst shopping! (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 29, 2020
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Apache 700
Exp
We were leaving Antibes yesterday after 6 Geourgous days and stopped of at the large Carrefour supermarket to stock up with supplies. When we got back to the van it had been broken into with an iPad and wife's phone stolen. It looks like they tried the hab door with a screw driver but didn't get in but then tried and forced the sliding kitchen window open on our Apache and got in this way. However the internal alarm went off and must have scared them off as nothing else was taken lucky for us nothing broken. We spoke to security at Carrefour and basically didn't want to know and said you must go to Police station. Well if you know Antibes it's just about impossible to drive or even park near the police station with a MH. So lesson learnt we will always leave someone in the van when shopping.
Just be aware if an funsters are in Antibes and thinking about going to Carrefour be careful and leave someone in the van if you can.

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
We were leaving Antibes yesterday after 6 Geourgous days and stopped of at the large Carrefour supermarket to stock up with supplies. When we got back to the van it had been broken into with an iPad and wife's phone stolen. It looks like they tried the hab door with a screw driver but didn't get in but then tried and forced the sliding kitchen window open on our Apache and got in this way. However the internal alarm went off and must have scared them off as nothing else was taken lucky for us nothing broken. We spoke to security at Carrefour and basically didn't want to know and said you must go to Police station. Well if you know Antibes it's just about impossible to drive or even park near the police station with a MH. So lesson learnt we will always leave someone in the van when shopping.
Just be aware if an funsters are in Antibes and thinking about going to Carrefour be careful and leave someone in the van if you can.

what a horrid thing to happen, not something you expect when you just pop to the shops, but not too much taken and will be covered by insurance hopefully..

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
Shocking way to end a stop, unfortunately more and more scrotes about so this is again on the increase.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Sorry for your situation and experience. It's a valuable account to remind folk when they step out of the MH to go shopping, even if only for a few minutes, to put everything valuable in a safe or strong box. It is a chore but you soon get in the habit. Plastic windows and catches are not much of a barrier.

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Not uncommon in that area, we had two bikes stolen at the train station. Both locked to each other and fixed point, cctv camera pointed at them and no one was interested. On the same trip we had the van broken into, we’d parked in large car park in Nice so I could collect my number for the marathon. I’d have thought parking next to the security hut for the marathon would have helped, they seen nothing. They got in through the sliding door window, thankfully the internal alarm went off and nothing was stolen as we hide everything of value.
It really puts a damper on your trip.

Upvote 0

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
I've actually seen the beggers outside supermarkets when people have left their campervans go straight on their phone to their mates to tell them the van is empty and the people are shopping usually gives them a time window to do their deed so we leave someone in the vehicle not that we have a Rolex or £2000 but it's the inconvenience caused

Upvote 0
May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
I've actually seen the beggers outside supermarkets when people have left their campervans go straight on their phone to their mates to tell them the van is empty and the people are shopping usually gives them a time window to do their deed so we leave someone in the vehicle not that we have a Rolex or £2000 but it's the inconvenience caused
I actually do have a Rolex, but never €2.000 in cash. Oh, and the watch is on my wrist until I go to sleep.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Sorry for your experience but thanks for posting.

50 years ago my home was burgled, 40 years ago my car was broken into in Barcelona, 20 years ago my car was broken into at B&Q, 3 years ago my motorhome was broken into in Spain while I was asleep.....total losses about £200 - I keep my cash and valuables close....shit happens don't let it upset you

Upvote 1
May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp

50 years ago my home was burgled, 40 years ago my car was broken into in Barcelona, 20 years ago my car was broken into at B&Q, 3 years ago my motorhome was broken into in Spain while I was asleep.....total losses about £200 - I keep my cash and valuables close....shit happens don't let it upset you
But it's the damage they do to get in that hurts.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
But it's the damage they do to get in that hurts.
First one was a broken window, second a boot lid forced, third one door popped, last one drivers door lock screwdrivered

Life goes on (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rockpool
Sep 29, 2020
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Apache 700
Exp

Not going to spoil the rest of our Holiday.
It happens items can be replaced.

Upvote 0
Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
It's the one rule we have. I go shopping Mr Gina M stays in the van. I would never have left the dog in the van on his own either anywhere in France. We have two dogs now and the same rule as thieves would chuck the dogs out first so they felt safe rummaging around the van. That said I do think dogs are a deterrent to some though.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back