Free Member
Jun 25, 2017
Ely
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
Hello all of you out there, can anyone please give us recommendations for breakdown cover for an eight metre mh ,
Thank you

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Read on another forum today that ADAC will take UK members if you telephone and take the premium membership,,Don't know if that is correct. BUSBY.

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Nationwide, we have 1 motor home, 2 vans, 1 motorbike all covered for £13 per month including Europe, also covers mobile phones and holiday insurance. But breakdown covers you for ANY vehicle you are in, and a joint account so covers both me and wife.
It's really a no brainer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Nationwide, we have 1 motor home, 2 vans, 1 motorbike all covered for £13 per month including Europe, also covers mobile phones and holiday insurance. But breakdown covers you for ANY vehicle you are in, and a joint account so covers both me and wife.
It's really a no brainer.
Holiday insurance 30 days,,But you can pay extra and extend it.BUSBY.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
How many days away? BUSBY.
I've also just signed up to the Camping and Caravanning Arrival Breakdown, provided by the RAC.

Continental cover has just been increased to trips of up to 350 days, which is why we chose it - we're leaving the van in Spain for six months over the winter, and then doing some touring on the way back, so wanted a minimum trip length of 270 days. Not easy to find as a stand-alone product for that duration.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
I've also just signed up to the Camping and Caravanning Arrival Breakdown, provided by the RAC.

Continental cover has just been increased to trips of up to 350 days, which is why we chose it - we're leaving the van in Spain for six months over the winter, and then doing some touring on the way back, so wanted a minimum trip length of 270 days. Not easy to find as a stand-alone product for that duration.

Will insurance allow van to be left unattended, ours wont if over 2 days, might even be 36 hours. We would like to have opportunity to fly back from spain for a week in middle of trip.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
But you can no longer get ADAC as they only do people with German address now.(y)(y)(y)

Just renewed mine last month and asked the question ,was told it may still be possible to sign up with an address outside of Germany so don quite know ,and have read the monthly club news .(y)

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
It’s not so much the length, more the weight. :gum:

In the U.K., it’s take your pick, anything over 7.5t and in Europe will see you struggling to find cover. The RAC Arrivals will, but with a £2k limit on cost to them, so a puncture or small mechanical problem is fine but recovery from southern Portugal will see you paying out.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Will insurance allow van to be left unattended, ours wont if over 2 days, might even be 36 hours. We would like to have opportunity to fly back from spain for a week in middle of trip.
Hi - yes, that was always going to be the big issue. As a consequence, it took a significant amount of research. We are storing the van in a secure garage a mile-and-a-half from Alicante Airport, with free transfers included and plan to fly backwards and forwards from the UK.

The vast majority of UK insurers would not even consider it. We had been with Comfort Insurance for 8 years, and after some extended conversations and persuasion at renewal time (end of June) they finally agreed, with a huge increase in premium and strict criteria about the precise dates of travel etc.

Now whilst we do already have a series of flights booked with dates, we'd prefer the flexibility to be able to adjust them without having to refer to the insurer every time if we wanted to change any flights.

In the meantime, I'd found one alternative where the broker spoke to the senior underwriter who looked at and found our proposal acceptable, and came up with a premium that was only slightly higher than we'd been paying Comfort for 'standard' insurance at the previous renewals. So we went for the alternative insurer. However, their breakdown cover option was for a maximum trip length of 90 days (I think) which wasn't going to work, so we sought out alternative breakdown insurance - again after much research - through the C&CC Arrival / RAC scheme.

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017

prb

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 10, 2015
Aldershot
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbuilt
Exp
Four years
Those of you that rely on breakdown cover included with their bank account would be advised to check the ts & cs. The RAC cover with our Barclays account wouldn't cover our mh so I looked at Nationwide. That doesn't either.

Reactions: mfw

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
Those of you that rely on breakdown cover included with their bank account would be advised to check the ts & cs. The RAC cover with our Barclays account wouldn't cover our mh so I looked at Nationwide. That doesn't either.

@prb Please would you tell us why Nationwide does not cover your vehicle?

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009

Look again at Nationwide Flex plus. That account , costing £13 per month covers MH up to 8M and 7.5 ton

• Vehicles must not exceed any of the following dimensions when fully loaded:
    1. Caravans and trailers - 8 metres in length (including A-frame)
    2. Motorhomes - 8 metres in length or 7.5 tonnes in weight
    3. All other vehicles - 7 metres in length, 2.3 metres in width, 3 metres in height or 3.5 tonnes in weight (Please see Section 2 and 3B of the policy document, for further details on vehicle eligibility)

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Look again at Nationwide Flex plus. That account , costing £13 per month covers MH up to 8M and 7.5 ton

• Vehicles must not exceed any of the following dimensions when fully loaded:
    1. Caravans and trailers - 8 metres in length (including A-frame)
    2. Motorhomes - 8 metres in length or 7.5 tonnes in weight
    3. All other vehicles - 7 metres in length, 2.3 metres in width, 3 metres in height or 3.5 tonnes in weight (Please see Section 2 and 3B of the policy document, for further details on vehicle eligibility)
On the account point. If you are in a position to put £2500 into the account it will make £75 over the year. So the account fees come to £156 per year and the £75 interest gives a 1 year cover for £81. I also note that the mobile phone excess is cheaper than my current bank account cover

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Might be worth having a look at "First4Recovery" (https://www.first4recovery.co.uk/). They offer cover up to 12m for large motorhomes and offer trip-limit European cover of either 90 or 120 days.

Have just posted a note of my experience this week of renewing our MoHo Insurance, Breakdown Cover and Tracker Annual Fee on "Motorhome Insurance General Discussion" Forum. (www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/just-renewed-moho-insurance-breakdown-cover-and-tracker-fee.179923/)
yes , ease of signing up excelent just hope the service is as good if needed but you can almost tailor your own cover requirements.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back