Mar 29, 2015
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Foster&Day Mercedes 208D
Exp
Since October 2013
Hi Di Ho Funsters!
After my mechanical breakdown on Saturday, the RAC patrolman informed me that if this vehicle needed recovery i wouldnt be covered and the cost would be forwarded to me! This is because its over 5.5 Metres. What Breakdown cover are other members using? Think this is something i need to sort out sooner rather than later lol :eek:

Chris

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We use the AA but have never had call to use their services. We knew the RAC wouldn't cover us because we had somehow been alerted to that fact at some point. I had a laugh at my local bank when tried to tell me that the RAC cover was a perk of my account and I told the guy several times that they won't recover over a certain length. He kept on saying that they would so I told him to ring them.......last laugh on me, he was quite embarrassed.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Di Ho Funsters!
After my mechanical breakdown on Saturday, the RAC patrolman informed me that if this vehicle needed recovery i wouldnt be covered and the cost would be forwarded to me! This is because its over 5.5 Metres. What Breakdown cover are other members using? Think this is something i need to sort out sooner rather than later lol :eek:

Chris
No idea why he told you that as it depends who you get your breakdown cover with. We get ours with insurance and it includes RAC recovery and we are 7.3m long and 3m high and weigh 4.5 tonnes.

This isn't just "in theory" as we were recovered on a low loader on Good Friday from the New Forest area back to our local garage.

The RAC passed it on to their commercial branch who passed it on to local recovery company (Boars Head). Driver told us RAC were paying £100 per hour for the round trip. It was about 4 hours back and the traffic the opposite way looked horrendous so think it would probably have taken longer going back.

Denise

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Same for us insurance via Comfort, providing RAC recovery. When we had to use it RAC passed to their commercial people who used 3rd party recovery firm.

We are 7.3m, 4.2t. If I did not have the cover via insurance, then I would check out the Nationwide Plus offer.

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
Several points
-how old is your van - many new and up to 3 year fiats (other makes possibly - a bit like new cars) have breakdown included? Our brand new van( long story) broke down after 100 miles and got whisked away on a commercial low loader, not to be seen again for 10 days. RAC originally came out, but rapidly handed over to fiat recovery.
- also have cover with our insurance, safe guard
- also available at extra cost with CCC membership ( without membership, weight limit applies) note only vehicles up to £55k value
- whatever you get check European cover is equitable to UK , as some have less recovery support in Europe than UK mainland
Hope you get it sorted

OP
OP
Crispydoodle

Crispydoodle

Free Member
Mar 29, 2015
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Foster&Day Mercedes 208D
Exp
Since October 2013
Our vehicle is 25 years old, 6.6 MTR long, and 2.9 Tonne Gross payload. Will check my insurance actually, see if its covered with them.

Thanks people (y)

Chris

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
RAC arrivals covers any size motorhome.(y)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
This subject comes up every week,,,,falling asleep...BUSBY:):):):)

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
If you have a Ford and have it serviced every year, you get FREE European cover. It's brilliant we have used it several times Not just for breakdowns once we wetrre pulled out/off a sandy beach, no charge.

colyboy

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
We looked into this last year. Basically you just need to be sure that the breakdown cover you have covers the weight and size of your van. Dad was in the AA who would not cover his motorhome after the upgrade to 3850kg.

He moved to RAC arrivals (not normal rac) via his CC&C membership. I am with safeguard insurance which comes with breakdown cover UK and Europe. Interestingly though its the AA who cover the safeguard breakdown. My van is 4k and 7 metres long.

Has anyone any experience of using the safeguard cover while in europe? fortunately I haven't had to call them yet?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
If you have a Ford and have it serviced every year, you get FREE European cover. It's brilliant we have used it several times Not just for breakdowns once we wetrre pulled out/off a sandy beach, no charge.

colyboy

I have a FORD...1996,,,am i covered...BUSBY:D:D:D

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
1992 S700 Hymer 4600kg and 7.21m

Lost the Vacuum (exhauster) Pump in Spain. Recovered to Teruel 40km on a low loader. RAC through Comfort were very helpful We had 4 nights in a SPA Hotel paid for also.
Teruel 044.jpg

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Green Flag for us. Always been great. Used them 5 times.

Three breakdown recoveries.

Twice locked out, keys inside ;)

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Used AA with Safeguard twice in France. One blow out on motorway, have to use the emergency services and then notify AA and get a claim number so reclaim the money. Second time our sliding door on our PVC would not close properly so not secure to leave nor to drive. An English mechanic came out in a proper AA van and sorted it. Apparently they have a few mobile units in France for the peak holiday periods as they are much happier doing roadside repairs whereas the French mechanics tend to tow you back to their workshops which is obviously more costly to the AA especially when its a motorhome and they have to find accomodation.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
One thing to remember in France. They won't recover you from toll roads. They have their own wagons, which charge about £500. Beware.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Yes but if you keep the receipt then it is refunded, that's what happened to us when we had the blowout and they towed us off the motorway. Its just an extra worry that you have to phone the emergency services yourself and describe whats happened and where on the motorway you are.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Yes but if you keep the receipt then it is refunded, that's what happened to us when we had the blowout and they towed us off the motorway. Its just an extra worry that you have to phone the emergency services yourself and describe whats happened and where on the motorway you are.
Aha, didn't know that :)

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We only discovered by chance because when we had the blow out we phoned the AA /Safeguard number first! Obviously we had not read the small print, they told us what to do but were not allowed to phone the emergency services for us. I hope in the future they can because it would be easier for everyone, my French isn't too bad from the point of view of ordering food etc but trying to describe a breakdown plus location was challenging to say the least(un pneu crevee).

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
If breakdown cover through Comfort, they are using the commercial side of the RAC, no limits of size or waight of rage MH.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
We only discovered by chance because when we had the blow out we phoned the AA /Safeguard number first! Obviously we had not read the small print, they told us what to do but were not allowed to phone the emergency services for us. I hope in the future they can because it would be easier for everyone, my French isn't too bad from the point of view of ordering food etc but trying to describe a breakdown plus location was challenging to say the least(un pneu crevee).
Thankfully our lass teaches French so I can sit in the back with a cold beer :)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
ADAC every
time,,,£79 a year,,,no limits,,any vehicle we are driving ,,excellent. BUSBY..

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
ADAC every
time,,,£79 a year,,,no limits,,any vehicle we are driving ,,excellent. BUSBY..

We are with ADAC---BUT we are too high for recovery (their small print states)---never had the cause to try them out yet--------

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back