Motorhome Automation (1 Viewer)

Dec 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW Crafter Self Conv
Have you any more details of this system please. Could be on the way to what I want.

Not suggesting the above is the best place to buy from, just the first place I found on Google.

Access to the Internet side of the router would be controlled in the usual way with WEP passwords etc. You can also make the broadcasted network invisible so it isn't obvious to people nearby that you have a WiFi system.

I think the manual is available via that link (I didn't check the link for manual but looked like it was there) and if you lookup 'call utilities' this is where you specify which mobile numbers the unit will respond to sms commands from.

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
Wow thats amazing ,my grandaughter has a smart home in york,you can even have A fresh coffee by just asking for one,and how great to be able to shut blinds and switch lights on when away (i use timers myself but cant close blinds) plus imagine how far weve come for people who have disabilities and ailments, i embrace the technology, except its not really for me as im useless with it,our last motorhome tipped us over the edge when the electric step kept opening and closing all night(it was the final straw of many faults lol) …… great for motorhome when in storage forbatteries or vermin trying to get in(mice and thieves) yes i admire anyone with the ability to use technology, sadly im getting left behind...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Cobra
Oct 21, 2020
Durham
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail EKS
Exp
Since 2020
When we 1st talked about getting a MoHo (and knowing my enthusiasm for automation) my wife said to me:
“No automation, I want some peace!”
But, luckily, she never mentioned anything about monitoring :)

At home, all lights, heating etc are automated and the house “talks“ quite a lot
This is everything from “there is someone at the door” to “It’s time for the dog’s medication”
I could easily add similar ‘announcements’ to the MoHo, however; I also think automation in the MoHo is not really needed.
We have a smallish MoHo and I can pretty much turn any light on by stretching to a lightswitch so why automate it?
The main driving force for my installation was monitoring, both in storage and when we leave for dog walks etc.
I fully agree with Crafty’s comment about not needing automation with one or two exceptions.
Then main exceptions when we are present are automatic alerts for grey water levels, leaks etc. with most alerting setup for when the MoHo is in storage.

Andy

OP
OP
Cobra
Oct 21, 2020
Durham
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail EKS
Exp
Since 2020
I wanted to be able to lock/unlock the doors remotely (check its locked at night, let the wife in when she forgets her keys etc), but the electronic system on the crafter was a bit too advanced to be cracked in 5 minutes with a multimeter. I might come back to this one day, especially if anyone here has any knowledge that can help :)
With our MoHo, there is a switch on the drivers side which locks/unlocks all the doors via the extended central locking (keyfob also locks habitation door)
One of my later plans is to ‘bridge’ this switch with a relay so I can control this with the automation system.
The plan here is to be able to report on it’s lock state and also to provide a zigbee button somewhere so we can just hit this as a last action at night as we go to bed.
Of course (if allowed) I could also control this with voice via the echo dot we have in the MoHo

Andy

Jan 22, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
DAF LF Conversion
Exp
Since 2013
We have Alexa in the truck, good to turn the kettle on while we stay warm in bed. I have some wifi controlled relays for things like turn on outside light/heaters before we get to the van. As well as the usual play music, alarms and timers.

dipsie

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A/Trail V Line 635
Exp
26 years
The Big1, I am sorry that my remark “ not being here “ was upsetting, what I should have written was “ on this forum as I would not have a motor home “
I am one of the lucky one’s having broken my back in 1968 ( three crushed vertebrae ) in an accident, along with a fractured skull, many broken ribs, arm, collar bone, fingers and many busted teeth. I am after all these years still feeling the after effects every winter when it gets cold and damp and I appreciate our NHS who still today are there when things are difficult.
For my my own peace of mind I do not want anything more in my van that can go wrong, the modern vehicle electrics can be a real head scratcher let alone the heating systems, the central locking, fridge, media systems, just look at all the questions on this forum for a start. I rest my case.
Once again I am sorry if my way of expressing my dismay is upsetting, but I remain “ befuddled “ by it all.

dipsie

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A/Trail V Line 635
Exp
26 years
I am at this moment just thinking about what I have just replied to, do I need this ?
I am bored with not being able to use our motor home, opps, camper van or PVC as I am sure many others are ( I must describe our leisure vehicle correctly ) but I have noticed that quite a few “ funsters” are attracting more than usual comments regarding views in resent months.
I object to my name being highlighted by some contributors and I am !!! thinking ??? Oh sod it, I’ll go and have a chat to my sheep, they’v got more sense than me.
Before I do that I’v just touched something on my iPhone and my details flashed up, my score of contributions have attracted quite a good number of “ likes “ perhaps I’m not the only one who has a different view on things.

OP
OP
Cobra
Oct 21, 2020
Durham
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail EKS
Exp
Since 2020
I am totally amazed that a discussion on MoHo automation should create any argument!

dipsie & DumfriesDik - You seem to have a problem with each other but it has NOTHING to do with me or my posts

I am not insisting that anyone else should do this!

I'm not telling anyone that they are an idiot because they don't understand it or are not interested in it!

I'm not insisting that other people have the same views as myself or anyone else for that matter

I just thought some people might be interested in what I am doing and might have some ideas for further consideration into my project.

I won't bother replying to this thread again as it seems to be so controversial, if anyone has any further questions or ideas then I will be happy to respond via PM

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
I won't bother replying to this thread again as it seems to be so controversial, if anyone has any further questions or ideas then I will be happy to respond via PM

Cobra That's a shame. I'm sure that many of us are reading this thread with interest, and admiration of some people's abilities.

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
Cobra That's a shame. I'm sure that many of us are reading this thread with interest, and admiration of some people's abilities.
I agree wholeheartedly...

I really can't see why people come on to a thread specifically to make a post telling everyone that they're not interested in the subject of the thread. Surely the right thing to do would be just to move on to the next thread without commenting.
Would you walk into a chess tournament in the middle of a game, stop it, and lecture everyone why you prefer playing draughts because it's easier to understand?

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Before I do that I’v just touched something on my iPhone and my details flashed up, my score of contributions have attracted quite a good number of “ likes “ perhaps I’m not the only one who has a different view on things.

"Quite a good number of "likes"" It amounts to 3. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
For my my own peace of mind I do not want anything more in my van that can go wrong, the modern vehicle electrics can be a real head scratcher let alone the heating systems, the central locking, fridge, media systems, just look at all the questions on this forum for a start. I rest my case.
So you post to a thread about motorhome automation, saying it's all a waste of time, and you are surprised when you get a robust reaction? Your main complaint seems to be that somebody mentioned your name... Who's that trip-trapping over my bridge?

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I am totally amazed that a discussion on MoHo automation should create any argument!
It's not usual for this forum, but then again it is the Internet.

This topic is of great interest to many on here, including me. I installed a Teltonika RUTX11 router recently, largely because I wanted to improve on the mifi access. I hadn't realised the huge potential of these Teltonika devices, or the massive functionality built into them. They are intended as a comms hub for control, monitoring and Internet-Of-Things (IOT).

Just scratching the surface, I could use a communication tool called ModbusTCP to send and receive commands/information to/from the Victron Multiplus II inverter/charger, either via an app or by text message. So maybe I can do things like use the MH batteries as storage for my solar array on the house roof, while the MH is parked on the drive.

ModbusTCP sends messages over wifi/wired networks. Each device has a Modbus number (between 1 and 247), and each device has a list of commands it responds to and data it can return. You send it the required number on the list, and it executes the command/sends back the data. It's a thoroughly tested method used for controlling industrial plant, oil terminals etc.

dipsie

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A/Trail V Line 635
Exp
26 years
I’v just come in from giving the sheep their “ breakfast “ ( hay ) as the grass has stopped growing at this time of year.
Just picked up the iPad to check on an expected email and see I have a couple from Motorhomefun,
OK guys, I will rest any further comments on this “ beyond my comprehension “ subject of Automation, I only wish I could understand it, in fact if the truth be known I am jealous of the intellect.
Ahh, that coffee tastes good, think I’ll get a bacon sandwich going now.

RetiredPope

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 9, 2015
Taunton
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 640
Exp
4yrs so still a newbie

Sorry that the general tendency even on this forum (the most friendly forum I've found) is to descend into squabbles and arguments, hopefully as we move forward we might see this lessen.

Have you considered writing a series of articles for the Motorhome Fun Magazine?

Would be useful to those of us who are interested in teching up our vans. For myself, I have some Pi's and can program reasonably well. Write some PLC code for work even though being mechanically trained. With Home/Van automation just don't now where to start, where to get sensors, or what is possible. Must be enough for a couple of articles to get us started.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Sorry that the general tendency even on this forum (the most friendly forum I've found) is to descend into squabbles and arguments, hopefully as we move forward we might see this lessen.

Have you considered writing a series of articles for the Motorhome Fun Magazine?

Would be useful to those of us who are interested in teching up our vans. For myself, I have some Pi's and can program reasonably well. Write some PLC code for work even though being mechanically trained. With Home/Van automation just don't now where to start, where to get sensors, or what is possible. Must be enough for a couple of articles to get us started.
Good idea !

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
This below, if it was vandal proof and could be fitted to a Hab door on a MH would be great;

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012

dipsie & DumfriesDik - You seem to have a problem with each other but it has NOTHING to do with me or my posts

I am not insisting that anyone else should do this!

I'm not telling anyone that they are an idiot because they don't understand it or are not interested in it!

I'm not insisting that other people have the same views as myself or anyone else for that matter

I just thought some people might be interested in what I am doing and might have some ideas for further consideration into my project.

Ignore them Cobra, keep going.

I haven't really got a clue what your talking about but if I come away with a little information and even learn something then job well done mate.

Personally I'd love to have a more accurate monitoring system and a little more automation isn't a bad thing.
My car basically drives itself, parks itself, adjusts the cruise control, shakes the steering wheel and tells me when something is on my blind side. Our ford Transit chassis has auto lights, wipers, gearbox etc.

It's all automation designed to offer the user an easier life.

I'm still getting my rocks off, turning the bathroom light off on our Hive system when my missus is in there...!!!

All the best.

Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
We have Alexa in the truck, good to turn the kettle on while we stay warm in bed. I have some wifi controlled relays for things like turn on outside light/heaters before we get to the van. As well as the usual play music, alarms and timers.
You have an Alexa in a lorry cab, I know these sleeper cabs are getting cosy but Alexa and a teas made. When I was a lad we had to stop at a roadside cafe for our first cuppa.

Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
It's not usual for this forum, but then again it is the Internet.

This topic is of great interest to many on here, including me. I installed a Teltonika RUTX11 router recently, largely because I wanted to improve on the mifi access. I hadn't realised the huge potential of these Teltonika devices, or the massive functionality built into them. They are intended as a comms hub for control, monitoring and Internet-Of-Things (IOT).

Just scratching the surface, I could use a communication tool called ModbusTCP to send and receive commands/information to/from the Victron Multiplus II inverter/charger, either via an app or by text message. So maybe I can do things like use the MH batteries as storage for my solar array on the house roof, while the MH is parked on the drive.

ModbusTCP sends messages over wifi/wired networks. Each device has a Modbus number (between 1 and 247), and each device has a list of commands it responds to and data it can return. You send it the required number on the list, and it executes the command/sends back the data. It's a thoroughly tested method used for controlling industrial plant, oil terminals etc.
Can you translate please ::bigsmile: I have a problem with the underfloor heating switch controller thing, you need a degree in computing to operate the one supplied, menu this, menu that. I have taken it of and fitted an on/off switch. It is now so easy to use.

Peatmoor

Free Member
Aug 19, 2014
Matlock Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Premium Liner
Exp
Since 1986
My MH is full of sensors and gadgets. The gauges and everything switchable is operated by a computer system. Great until they give me false info or go wrong, then its a nightmare. I have spent hours chasing false alerts and power cut offs. Give me a manual switch and a gauge anytime, they can usually be sorted by someone like me, with basic skills.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
I think automation is great , but having got my 3 year old M/H sorted (touch wood) I don't think it is a good idea on my part to introduce automation , I fear it may be the next problems looming up in the future , anyhow may sell it.

Jan 22, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
DAF LF Conversion
Exp
Since 2013
You have an Alexa in a lorry cab, I know these sleeper cabs are getting cosy but Alexa and a teas made. When I was a lad we had to stop at a roadside cafe for our first cuppa.
Our MH is a Daf LF 45
20181127_162741.jpg

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
Wow, what ba great thread.
I am interested in going down this path a modest amount so will follow closely. It could even be a topic for a new forum (Jim?).
My thoughts are simpler but I have just received a Google Mini I'm hoping to have set up by the time we're allowed out again. Any tips on installing that gratefully received?

Jan 22, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
DAF LF Conversion
Exp
Since 2013
Wow that is a truck/ home, did you convert it yourself. if you did congratulations. All the best for 2021. (y)

We bought it as an ex mobile youth centre and I've converted it to a MH myself. We needed something big enough to accommodate our son's electric wheelchair.

Oct 4, 2020
North West England
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Cipro 55 CI
Exp
since 2015
Hi guys
Been reading for a while and finally decided to subscribe and post.

I picked up my motorhome a couple of months ago and have had a few trips to local sites in the North East.
SWMBO and I have enjoyed it so far and have already booked a number of sites for the start of next year
(We plan to at least go every other week-end if possible)

I am a home automation enthusiast, with an almost fully automated home, and was wondering if anyone else had thought about making their motorhome 'smart'
I've already started to add some of the basics and I still have a way to go, but I'm working on it :)

If anyone is interested then I could post some details on what & how

Andy
sounds great! any advice would be appreciated thanks:xThumb::xThumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back