Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
Looking good now I have the dev environment setup... Working on the basic UI setup now.

Google IO had an interesting feature which I wish was in Eclipse already.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/05/google-gives-developers-app-beta-testing-multi-player-api/

Java is proving to be an easier nut to crack than I expected. However the API and things to learn list is HUGE and getting bigger. Each time I learn something new 5 more things show up to learn... It's all good though. Lots of neat little tricks to make the App interesting and useful. I am playing around with autocomplete at the moment to make searching for stuff easier for you lot :thumb:
I really should get back to the basic UI though rather than playing with the shiny shiny...

shiny shiny....bling every-bloody-where! :ROFLMAO:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Karl I don't understand it, but it is totally fascinating me any way. :Smile:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Karl I don't understand it, but it is totally fascinating me any way. :Smile:
Me neither Carol. :Doh:

At the end of the day Karl, will we all still be able to make and receive calls and texts? :winky:

Cheers,

Jock.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Another brief update.. Not had a hookup to be able to do any more work on it unfortunately but I am keeping a log of any new ideas I get as I potter around.

Mother has her operation booked now for the 4th Sept. I guess about 3 months recovery then I can get on the road again and find a place to stay for a few months with hookup etc. It's probably looking like January now before I can start work on it in earnest.

Sorry this is taking longer than I would have liked.

Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
Haven't got a bloody clue what its all about - but I want it !!! :Cool:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Haven't got a bloody clue what its all about - but I want it !!! :Cool:

Sounds just like an angler. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Another update. I sold my business at the end of January and I have been catching up on all the jobs I needed to get done but couldn't. Mother is now self sufficient again 100%. So there is no more excuses for me not to crack on with this. There has been a few Android releases since I started this with a few new UI features. I have started from scratch again as I was struggling to figure out what the old code I wrote did and how to rejiggle it for the new ui features.

Hopefully make some progress now... Can't believe how long this project has been on the back burner for :(

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
Great idea Gormett.
We would be interested in the Window App to start with Nd then in the IOS for iPad too.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Watching with interest Gromett, I should really have a go at doing something like this myself except I would be starting from scratch. The last programming code I used was COBOL back in the 80's and that was oh so briefly...

Last edited:
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Hi Gromett. Just picked up on this thread, read it through from start to finish. Well done, good on you, don't know where you get the patients from. Another for your beta list if you need me. :smiley:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I have started from scratch again as I was struggling to figure out what the old code I wrote did and how to rejiggle it for the new ui features.
Quickest way to establish what it does will be to re-run your test data to see what it comes out with, Then you can compare the results with the original system specification document and see what needs amending as well.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I use Android and would be more than happy to be a guinea pig. But as I also like Windows does that rule me out? :)

But hats off to you. I managed to get a "Hello World" app to work but after that it was beyond me.

I am using Android 5.11

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Quickest way to establish what it does will be to re-run your test data to see what it comes out with, Then you can compare the results with the original system specification document and see what needs amending as well.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::clap2::clap2::moon2:

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have got the overall structure set up now. Each of the parts of the software will be a separate Activity (module) so I can write them independently and not have any dependencies. I am starting on the first module at the moment which will be the task list manager.
This will enable you to create take off and landing lists for example. It will also contain check lists for various foreign countries listed what you need when you visit them such as warning triangle, spare glasses etc.

It currently has very few options, new list, delete list, edit list, reset list (clears tick boxes). Within each list there are options to add item, remove item and edit item. Plus a check box next to each item in the list.

Basically if you use this module you should never forget the hookup cable or to shut that cupboard door again.

As this is the first module I am writing, I am learning Java, Android and the android API. So it is not going to be a quick one as I need to make sure I am understanding everything fully as I go to ensure I am not creating issue later down the line for myself.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Why? What's the problem? It's what we would have done all those years ago when I worked in IT :)

When you were learning a new OS, Language, API and style of programming did you do all that or did you just jump straight in and start learning stuff?

This is my Hello world project and I am not going through all the design methodology simply because I don't understand (yet) the OS, the API and the development process for this platform.

I am familiar with OOP from doing PHP web development but because that is stateless it is relatively easy to design for. Simple things with Android that have me scratching my head a little on this first day is the separation of control. There are xml files to define the screen and much more, then you have a class to manage the Activity, a class to inflate the menu for that Activity Then you have intents plus lots more. Figuring out when you need to create a new class or override an existing android class is fun. Then there are different versions of Android which have different supported features. You can use a built in library to use features that are not present in your minimum SDK level. The code for a single form is spread over quite a few files and it's structure is not currently clear to me, so I am playing around to ensure I understand it fully before going further. The list goes on and on and on.

Until you understand the system and how it works it would be impossible to create full documentation for it prior to starting to write. Also this is not a large commercial project it is a small hobby project.

So No. I have no documentation, tests or other superfluous stuff that doesn't actually directly get code written. And to be honest this project doesn't actually warrant a full project management approach. I will do unit tests as I get onto the more complicated parts of the project and I will checking it for security.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
@GJH Check out this video. Imagine you don't know any Java and are learning this from scratch.

This guy is nice and fast so I don't get bored. However his labels for functions, text etc are not very clear so it is taking some figuring out. Along with a 3211 page book on Android ( https://commonsware.com/Android/ ) and a couple of books on Java I have a lot of material to learn.

Writing the specs and tests at this stage would not only be a waste of time it would literally be impossible as I have no idea how the operating breaks down it's tasks.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I have an Android tablet and phone so would be more than happpy to help out as a guinea pig..

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
When you were learning a new OS, Language, API and style of programming did you do all that or did you just jump straight in and start learning stuff?

This is my Hello world project and I am not going through all the design methodology simply because I don't understand (yet) the OS, the API and the development process for this platform.

I am familiar with OOP from doing PHP web development but because that is stateless it is relatively easy to design for. Simple things with Android that have me scratching my head a little on this first day is the separation of control. There are xml files to define the screen and much more, then you have a class to manage the Activity, a class to inflate the menu for that Activity Then you have intents plus lots more. Figuring out when you need to create a new class or override an existing android class is fun. Then there are different versions of Android which have different supported features. You can use a built in library to use features that are not present in your minimum SDK level. The code for a single form is spread over quite a few files and it's structure is not currently clear to me, so I am playing around to ensure I understand it fully before going further. The list goes on and on and on.

Until you understand the system and how it works it would be impossible to create full documentation for it prior to starting to write. Also this is not a large commercial project it is a small hobby project.

So No. I have no documentation, tests or other superfluous stuff that doesn't actually directly get code written. And to be honest this project doesn't actually warrant a full project management approach. I will do unit tests as I get onto the more complicated parts of the project and I will checking it for security.
There is a world of difference between learning how to use a programming language and creating a system which just happens to have its software written in that language.

Unless there is a requirements specification in place how does the designer know that the system will do what it is supposed to do? Unless there is a test plan in place how does the programmer know what outputs are correct when different data elements are input? Unless there is documentation of what the system does and how it does it, how is anyone going to provide end user help and support?

It doesn't matter whether it is a commercial system or a small hobby project, the same principles apply.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
There is a world of difference between learning how to use a programming language and creating a system which just happens to have its software written in that language.

Unless there is a requirements specification in place how does the designer know that the system will do what it is supposed to do? Unless there is a test plan in place how does the programmer know what outputs are correct when different data elements are input? Unless there is documentation of what the system does and how it does it, how is anyone going to provide end user help and support?

It doesn't matter whether it is a commercial system or a small hobby project, the same principles apply.
Looks like we may be talking at crossed purposes or you are not understanding what I am saying.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
That is what I was saying, I am learning how to use a programming language, a new OS, a new API and a new development environment. There is no way I could write a specification at this point in the learning cycle. It would be a bit like getting a structural engineer to write the specs for a car engine when he doesn't know how a car engine works.

GJH said:
Unless there is a requirements specification in place how does the designer know that the system will do what it is supposed to do?
I am the designer, the programmer and the support guy for this project. I have pages of design notes on how I want it to look and how it should work. It is not a formal specification simply a rough guide on how I need to proceed. I know exactly what it is supposed to do and will tinker with it as I go to make it better. Not a formal process that you would be happy with but it has worked for me in the past when I was writing games.

GJH said:
Unless there is a test plan in place how does the programmer know what outputs are correct when different data elements are input? Unless there is documentation of what the system does and how it does it, how is anyone going to provide end user help and support?

How can you design a test plan when you don't even know how the software works internally. Again it is like an engineer with no knowledge of engines designing the test cycle for an engine development program. It is just not possible. The good thing with Android though is it is a fully OOP and has many predefined data types along with validation procedures. I can request an email and know that the email address is in a valid form for example. The unit tests for an android app of this nature will be straight forward and Android Studio has tools in place to create them as you go.

I would also point out that there are various design/dev methodologies these days. I am not a fan of agile in it's purest form but it probably describes the process I will be using with this software.

Agile can work ok when you only have a single guy doing the entire project. Purely because he has a full understanding of the project from start to finish. Once I get past the initial learning stage I use javadoc to document the project which greatly assists with future development and creating the user manual. However the way I write software is to make it as self explanatory as possible. When I am in designer mode I believe that if you need to create a manual for software aimed at the consumer market you are not writing the software correctly (there are obviously some exceptions to this)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Looks like we may be talking at crossed purposes or you are not understanding what I am saying.
I only did the job successfully for 30+ years so obviously I don't understand the process.
That is what I was saying, I am learning how to use a programming language, a new OS, a new API and a new development environment. There is no way I could write a specification at this point in the learning cycle. It would be a bit like getting a structural engineer to write the specs for a car engine when he doesn't know how a car engine works.

I am the designer, the programmer and the support guy for this project. I have pages of design notes on how I want it to look and how it should work. It is not a formal specification simply a rough guide on how I need to proceed. I know exactly what it is supposed to do and will tinker with it as I go to make it better. Not a formal process that you would be happy with but it has worked for me in the past when I was writing games.

How can you design a test plan when you don't even know how the software works internally. Again it is like an engineer with no knowledge of engines designing the test cycle for an engine development program. It is just not possible. The good thing with Android though is it is a fully OOP and has many predefined data types along with validation procedures. I can request an email and know that the email address is in a valid form for example. The unit tests for an android app of this nature will be straight forward and Android Studio has tools in place to create them as you go.

I would also point out that there are various design/dev methodologies these days. I am not a fan of agile in it's purest form but it probably describes the process I will be using with this software.

Agile can work ok when you only have a single guy doing the entire project. Purely because he has a full understanding of the project from start to finish. Once I get past the initial learning stage I use javadoc to document the project which greatly assists with future development and creating the user manual. However the way I write software is to make it as self explanatory as possible. When I am in designer mode I believe that if you need to create a manual for software aimed at the consumer market you are not writing the software correctly (there are obviously some exceptions to this)
Or there again, perhaps it is I who do understand the process.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I only did the job successfully for 30+ years so obviously I don't understand the process.

Or there again, perhaps it is I who do understand the process.

Not quite got 30 years of development behind me but not too far off. All I will say is there is more than one way to skin a cat and the formal processes you describe are all well and good and probably desirable in large scale projects. But I don't believe they are necessary for straight forward projects of this nature with a single person being the sole designer, developer, support bod.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I am bemused by this little tiff. The proof of the pudding will be in the eating. If it works and does what Grommet and others want then how he achieved that is entirely up to him isn't it? Or have I missed something?

I always judge by results, but then I come from the construction industry. And so the only thing I know about the IT industry is that it is the only other one I know that makes the construction industry look good at project management. :D:D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back