Motorhome Alarms (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
Another poster wrote that he has to remember to leave his blinds ajar to ensure that a potential thief can see the Motorhome is alarmed!

That's not what I put at all!!

I was saying that I opened the just enough to see from the outside (but not enough to spook the neighbours)

By all accounts you sell an excellent product, surely you don't have to stoop to the depths of a questionable fire extinguisher salesman to promote it. ;)

And I think I read on one of your blogs that you actually advised people to crack open the side blinds if they had a dash LED didnt you?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Isn't that saying the same thing? If not I apologise for paraphrasing

Yes I do suggest that people with car alarms leave a blind open so thieves can see the Motorhome is alarmed

I was merely pointing out that although Strikeback is a little more than the quoted price, it offers a number of extras as standard.

Deleted User
Ha ha there you go again suggesting alternatives are merely "car alarms"

You don't need to do it Eddie, as your product by all accounts sells pretty well and gets raving reviews. Pointing out extra features is one thing slating alternate models (suggesting that they are inadequate) smacks of desperation.

You, and your products are better than that aren't you?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I've seen so many car alarms passed off as motorhome alarms. Some of those don't even try to hide the fact and the specs mention bonnet and boot protection. :doh:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Ha ha there you go again suggesting alternatives are merely "car alarms"

They are :ROFLMAO:

All of the car alarm
Manufacturers are now experts in horse boxes, vans, caravans and Motorhomes

The reason? Because the car "aftermarket" alarm market has virtually dried up, let's face it you can buy a new car now for five or six grand and expect it to have central locking and an alarm

None of the products from these new "experts" offer things like the features that I have mentioned, have PIR or ultra sonic internal sensors, neither ideal in a Motorhome

I am not rubbishing a particular make, and would ask where did I "slate alternative models" (frankly there aren't any lol) Even if I wanted to, that would be unprofessional, but neither am I prepared to read posts suggesting that for £400 quid you can get the same overall package as a Van Bitz Strikeback with the long terms back up we provide.

You've likened me to a fire extinguisher salesmanship, and by defending my
products you write " it smacks of desperation."

I would suggest you re-read the thread, or Google Strikeback and you will see I seldom need to sell or
promote my products, our customers do that for us.

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Our alarm has a blue led on the dashboard, we crack open the side blinds just enough to ensure anyone interested in robbing us can see that we have an alarm.

Well if a blue LED wards off the evil spirits fit a load more.............

Broken Link Removed

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Eddie, have you ever thought about relocating to somewhere sensible?
Taking delivery of new van soon, but can't manage a 900 mile round trip so will probably have no option but to go with something inferior. Or nothing at all.
It really is terribly selfish of you.

Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
Only thing in the way of an alarm from Vanbitz for me is the 600 mile round trip!

We'll probably go to Cornwall/Dorset next year in the MH so it'll have to wait till then

Strikeback or Growler though......

The Growler was my first purchase for the van, long way from home but bought from South Wales so just nipped across the bridge on the way home, also got to spend my first night at the very pleasant Cornish farm and got my Christmas shopping done in Taunton whilst the install was taking place.

Whilst over in Europe we have had plenty of interest in the blue LED's all positive, me I love em, just wish they were on all four sides

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Taking delivery of new van soon, but can't manage a 900 mile round trip so will probably have no option but to go with something inferior. Or nothing at all.
If you seriously value your security then you'll invest a little time to get an effective and affordable alarm fitted to your new van. Why not turn your trip to Taunton into a mini break and test out your new van for a long weekend?
Thursday night at Cornish Farm
Friday having your alarm fitted
Saturday and Sunday exploring North Devon ?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Cat three is a physical deterrent like a steering wheel clamp for a wheel clamp, two are immobilisers, and category one is the alarm and an immobiliser combination

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

There are some great pubs in Taunton while you're waiting. Go for the second night at Cornish Farm and rake advantage of them (y)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
There are some great pubs in Taunton while you're waiting. Go for the second night at Cornish Farm and rake advantage of them (y)

I got pissed in the big Wetherspoons in town and then had to pretend I understood what Eddie was droning on about when he was explaining how the alarm and satellite worked;)

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
The Growler was my first purchase for the van, long way from home but bought from South Wales so just nipped across the bridge on the way home, also got to spend my first night at the very pleasant Cornish farm and got my Christmas shopping done in Taunton whilst the install was taking place.

Whilst over in Europe we have had plenty of interest in the blue LED's all positive, me I love em, just wish they were on all four sides

I haven't even got a van yet. We ordered it at the NEC a little over a week ago. First port of call after doing the deal was the VanBitz stand where we had a nice chat with Eddie and made arrangements to have a Growler fitted when it arrives (y)

I think the ultra bright LEDs are a brilliant idea (no pun intended) as it ensures they are obvious in daylight. I can't understand why anyone would want to intentionally annoy their neighbours though, so a dimming function when pitched up overnight also seems a good idea.

Mind you, my neighbour across the road has blue lights inset all round his garden wall :unsure: so I reckon he'll be envious when he sees what I'm getting :LOL:

Mar 1, 2015
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Frankia 840GD
Exp
Since 2015
Had the growler (along with other bits) fitted to my MH in June this year. Last night I forgot to turn off the internal sirens and I got up about 3am to let the dog out to do its business at it was barking at the door. I opened the door and all the sirens went off, inside and out. In the panic to find the key fob I dropped it down the back of the couch. The alarm went off after about 30 seconds. The only way to get to the key fob was to open an external locker, So the alarm went off again.

I would disagree that nobody takes any notice of the alarm as mote the half of the other motorhomes were woken up and came outside to see what was going on. And by the way the internal sirens are louder than I thought. It was painful to be inside the van. It may not stop a thief trying to get into the MH, But the lights will make it a deterrent and when the sirens go off they will want to scarper quickly.

Its okay having a safe but if you have no alarm the their will have all the time they want to smash your van apart to get to the safe.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Can I ask?. Why do some have to get so hot under the collar over such things?. I posed a few questions, Jim / Eddie answered them. I even asked if it was desirable to have the `van back after it had been raped and pillaged?. The answer to which is likely subjective anyway.

Vanbitz, provide a good product, whether is it good value depends as always on the Purchaser`s personal assessment. I thought it was, I like the idea of the external loop, and wish my system had it, where I looking to fit a new one / replace one. it (Vanbitz) would be at the top of my list. And to be fair. I cannot find the invoice BUT I think the quoted price of £550 / £600. is LESS that I paid for the strikeback fitted to my R-V circa 2003 ish, which I think was closer to a grand!.

LED`s are found on many Home alarm systems and have to be bright to be visible in daylight. Mine (Home) is fitted facing the sun as the backup Battery (also) charges from a small Solar panel!. Bright is good (mostly) and dim-able? a courtesy to others.

Now anyone know anyone who can add a loop to an existing alarm system, fit me some external (bright) LED`s (with Dimmer!)? .

Oh! Yes! and having lived many years in Yeovil, before moving back to "Gods Country" I can second the fact that there are some good Real Ale pubs in the area.

Pete

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Had the growler (along with other bits) fitted to my MH in June this year. Last night I forgot to turn off the internal sirens and I got up about 3am to let the dog out to do its business at it was barking at the door. I opened the door and all the sirens went off, inside and out. In the panic to find the key fob I dropped it down the back of the couch. The alarm went off after about 30 seconds. The only way to get to the key fob was to open an external locker, So the alarm went off again.

I would disagree that nobody takes any notice of the alarm as mote the half of the other motorhomes were woken up and came outside to see what was going on. And by the way the internal sirens are louder than I thought. It was painful to be inside the van. It may not stop a thief trying to get into the MH, But the lights will make it a deterrent and when the sirens go off they will want to scarper quickly.

Its okay having a safe but if you have no alarm the their will have all the time they want to smash your van apart to get to the safe.
This made me laugh as I did a similar thing myself when a bit tipsy! Confused and disorientated

After 26 years you'd think I would know better lol

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Can I ask?. Why do some have to get so hot under the collar over such things?. I posed a few questions, Jim / Eddie answered them. I even asked if it was desirable to have the `van back after it had been raped and pillaged?. The answer to which is likely subjective anyway.

Security is an emotive thing, some believe passionately that it is a good investment, other take an opposing view.

A little like tracking. I personally think that if I could get my Motorhome back, quickly, say in an hour or so I would prefer that.

I have never come out of any dealings with any insurance company thinking I got 100% of what I thought I was due

Things have moved forward anyway now, and my smartphone is incorporated into my Motorhome security system/immobilisation, so feel that it is extremely unlikely that my Motorhome could be stolen, and I would certainly be aware exactly what was going on as the system would have opened a telephone line to me so I could hear what's what

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Eddie. I like the gadgets and gizmo`s, as much as the next (person). Your`s served me well, and as far as I am aware is still doing good service for whoever has the R-V now.

What I am puzzled about is the number of people who feel that critiquing someone else's view aggressively earns any respect, Note:- NOT in any way aimed at you personally.

Having said that, I am aware that perfection is not a human trait, and we can all forget to be courteous from time to time. Just an observation on life and the differences which make all of us unique.

Pete

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Hi Pete, I really do understand. Just try standing at the NEC :Eeek: People will make a point to stop, stare and then walk onto the stand and point at a satellite TV installation and berate you for ten minutes how "sad" people are for wanting to watch (and they always say Coronation Street when on holiday" As they walk away muttering the next person walks up and "Poo Poo's" Air Conditioning! "Well Sir, helpful if you have a dog" Whoaaaa That was a mistake! Then I get lectured for another ten minutes about people spending tens of thousands on a motorhome and then allowing a "smelly" "wet" "shit machine" in it! and how people that do that must be mad!

As they walk off muttering that their back to their van for a "fag"

Our stand is often close to Car-A-Tow stand and they have a constant stream of people 50% praising "A" frames the other 50% only there for an argument about the legality of "A Frames"

Solar panels? waste of time! Toilet chemical? no need buy a SOG, Campsites? Don't waste your money, free camp, Shower? no point just wash at Christmas, buy bread? no point make your own! Reversing cameras? if you can't drive on your mirrors you shouldn't be allowed to drive on the road. Sat-Nav Are you joking all you need is a map and your army compass! Awning? a £20 Gazebo is all you need! And don't even get me started about BBQ's! Gas, electric or original lol

What I do know is that under Jims steerage Motorhome FUN is 99% just that FUN and yes there are little hic cups from time to time, but most of the time people manage to rub along without causing offence despite the mountainous summits of opinion!

Now, are we not due a "I was gassed towing my "A" frame thread?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Hi Pete, I really do understand. Just try standing at the NEC :Eeek: People will make a point to stop, stare and then walk onto the stand and point at a satellite TV installation and berate you for ten minutes how "sad" people are for wanting to watch (and they always say Coronation Street when on holiday" As they walk away muttering the next person walks up and "Poo Poo's" Air Conditioning! "Well Sir, helpful if you have a dog" Whoaaaa That was a mistake! Then I get lectured for another ten minutes about people spending tens of thousands on a motorhome and then allowing a "smelly" "wet" "shit machine" in it! and how people that do that must be mad!

Our stand is often close to Car-A-Tow stand and they have a constant stream of people 50% praising "A" frames the other 50% only there for an argument about the legality of "A Frames"

Solar panels? waste of time! Toilet chemical? no need buy a SOG, Campsites? Don't waste your money, free camp, Shower? no point just wash at Christmas, buy bread? no point make your own! Reversing cameras? if you can't drive on your mirrors you shouldn't be allowed to drive on the road. Sat-Nav Are you joking all you need is a map and your army compass! Awning? a £20 Gazebo is all you need! And don't even get me started about BBQ's! Gas, electric or original lol

What I do know is that under Jims steerage Motorhome FUN is 99% just that FUN and yes there are little hic cups from time to time, but most of the time people manage to rub along without causing offence despite the mountainous summits of opinion!

That made me laugh Eddie.

Humans are a strange bunch.

I get people instructing me and then being openly hostile towards me from the outset.

Countless times I have been running their cases and receive an offer to settle from an opponent which I consider too low and suggest they reject it. I then get a tirade of abuse on the basis that I will earn more money the longer the case goes on.

Accept it then I say only for them to then go into a tirade about the other side taking the piss.

You can't win:doh:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing

Would you like me to start It??. we could add "A Rant about people who wild camp". Or Why my M-H is great and yours is Sh1t.. Endless possibilities with tongue firmly in Cheek (of course)

Pete

Feb 14, 2014
Ainsworth, Bolton, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2011

Absolutely brilliant Eddie.
We have only been funsters for e few weeks and really enjoy the lively threads we will be visiting Taunton when new MH arrives in April so you can install one of your superior alarm systems.Why spend serious amounts of money on MH and put a car alarm on it

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011

Gotta be post of the week! :clap2:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back