Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
I'm still in the market to tow a trailer behind the new MH. Show us what ya got so I can get some inspiration...Go on, you know ya want to! Did you go 1,2, or 3 bike trailer? Braked or unbraked? Cover, boxed or open?

Hit me with the skinny Daddy-O!

And...is anybody aware of a UK manufacturer of a drop-down type trailer that will take two bikes?

And also...whats with the residual price of small/medium boxed trailers?! You could use them as currency. I can buy a 40 foot HGV trailer for less than a decent Ifor Williams! Go figure as the yanks say.

Ta in advance

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Drop down trailer

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
And...is anybody aware of a UK manufacturer of a drop-down type trailer that will take two bikes?

We tow a trailer complete with two Harleys behind our PVC. Trailer is covered and braked :)

iPhone 05.12.18 560.JPG

We like to explore the local area and get some riding in!

Mick

OP
OP
Bonkers the Dog

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
Some good ideas there folks, thanks. MSW don't do a doubler, I called them several months ago. COCHET never even responded to my enquiry. I'm currently thinking of a twin axle, braked with a frame for the tarp. There is a place in Kircaldy that does them . I think they are flat packed in from Poland and assembled here for about £1500 all in. I used to have one of their smaller 6 footers for general work and it's pretty good quality

The problem is I have two long bike to get in. So I need at least an 8ft bed with a decent ramp. My KTM is also 5'3" tall! So it has to be a tall trailer as well.

Then there is the weight. Mine's is 220kg wet. The wife's Bonny Speedmaster is about 260kg so it would take me too close to the 750kg unbraked maximum for comfort, I want a decent margin of safety to tow my babies around in comfort.

If only I could figure a way of fitting them in the MH and put the kids in the trailer we would be onto a winner! SWMBO isn't too keen on that plan though, I don't understand it really, I'm sure they would be able to hang on and the tarp would keep them pretty dry!

Choices, choices, decisions decisions....

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Moto lug. I have a single SE. Great bit of kit. Packs down when not needed.

Reactions: prb
Jul 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Conc. Charisma 880F
Exp
Zero....

1566487999229.png

two bike limit 560kg

OP
OP
Bonkers the Dog

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
Yeah, they are clever and relatively cheap, but I think they look a little flimsy...

Jul 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Conc. Charisma 880F
Exp
Zero....
Yeah, they are clever and relatively cheap, but I think they look a little flimsy...
I know on the UKGSer site - many folk swear by them (only tow empty!) and say they have lasted years with pretty heavy bikes (GS/GSA)

OP
OP
Bonkers the Dog

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
Granted, I haven't ruled them out, it may still come to that option but I am exploring box trailers at the moment, by The Wee Man they are expensive!

However, saying that, the concept of having a collapsible trailer is attractive. I could rig a pulley system in the garage off the rafters and get it up out the way.....mmmm, got me thinking there Pal.

Jul 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Conc. Charisma 880F
Exp
Zero....
Granted, I haven't ruled them out, it may still come to that option but I am exploring box trailers at the moment, by The Wee Man they are expensive!

However, saying that, the concept of having a collapsible trailer is attractive. I could rig a pulley system in the garage off the rafters and get it up out the way.....mmmm, got me thinking there Pal.
Me too - still to pick one to be honest - i have seen them go in the boot of a mid car - so under a MH would be easy

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have an unused covered single axle kneeling trailer with 8' 5" by 5' 4" load area complete with spare wheel and tie down hooks that will take two big bikes easily or three smaller bikes. Delivery mileage only and as new. I will except £1000 for it and can supply photos once am home end of this month. Only for sale due to yet another change of plans.

OP
OP
Bonkers the Dog

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
Yup,been looking at tickners, good quality product. However, when I costed one out for my requirements we were pushing £3500! SWMBO just wouldn't wear that...she does the accounts so I can't even come up with a work around; drat and double drat! She's just to smart for her own good....and I isn't.

May 23, 2019
Norfolkshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano
Exp
Since 2019
Do you mind if I jump on your thread Bonkers as I have the same question?
I'm thinking of a trailer for a single bike, r1200gs in my case weighing 200kg.
Would a transverse trailer (less length) be better, or a longitudinal one which may tow better??
NewboyNB i'll be asking the same question on ukgser so hopefully I'll be able to share their thoughts here too.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I think transverse trailers tend to be higher than "normal" trailers, unless you have arms like a gibbon, loading a GS could be a tad awkward ?

OP
OP
Bonkers the Dog

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
Whoo-hoo! Finally, FINALLY, got it done. Currently in single mode, yet to fit the second bump-stop. Roof and tarp removed for ease of working and storage. Purchased off a fellow funster, cracking deal, now all I have to do is plan a wee trip....
IMG_20191020_165331622_HDR.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back