Free Member
Nov 22, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
18yrs
Hi We are going back to a scooter - an mp3 as fed up with a frame hassle in Spain. We had an easilifter before which put a lot of strain on our long overhang. We are looking at either a transverse trailer, or the above which we saw on ebay. E mailed them but no reply. The scooter travels on its back wheel front ones suspended on this device on tow bar. Idea looks good no trailer to bother about, but just not sure about it or whether it should only be used by recovery people. Does anyone know about these
Wait to hear regards

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi We are going back to a scooter - an mp3 as fed up with a frame hassle in Spain. We had an easilifter before which put a lot of strain on our long overhang. We are looking at either a transverse trailer, or the above which we saw on ebay. E mailed them but no reply. The scooter travels on its back wheel front ones suspended on this device on tow bar. Idea looks good no trailer to bother about, but just not sure about it or whether it should only be used by recovery people. Does anyone know about these
Wait to hear regards
Technically not legal.

trailer law states if it has brakes they must work, regardless of trailer weight.

you have a wheel on the ground so the brake has to work.....and that just cant be done !

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, as pappa says ideal for recovery . i have one here used it loads . we recovered bikes and trikes . .sometimes i recovered mine there and back to see how far it was. but not legal for vehicle transporting . there is or was a nice back wheel dolly sold at one time that would meet the rules as it was not fitted with brakes.
i also have a kliponoff twin spec frame that goes across the back . would put weight on the over hang but its very light in its self. mind you do have to lift one wheel at a time . i deal for lightweight bikes . i bought mine from sammy millers at new milton hampshire.mind that was years ago. we used to sell alot of his stuff they were 50quid retail then. i imagine they are still going .havent bought anything off them for years .i use mine a fair bit . takes up to 250cc machines easy .over that i find it hard to load.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Your suspended scooter towing Dolly does fall under the recovery equipment regs and will be speed restricted in the UK as per all dolly type set ups
Also it will be seen in the same light as a A frame in Spain the only
way in Spain is a trailer
Geo

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Link Removed
if i have done this right .there is one on ebay .kliponoff.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Link Removed
if i have done this right .there is one on ebay .kliponoff.

Yup you did it right Alan:thumb:
But no good for a 3 wheel scooter:Doh:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, learning slowly .i wondered about that mp3 bit ,but thought mp3 was for recording .hee hee . i just thought they meant ordinary scooter. but never mind .personaly i always carry a chinese dax style bike in the back .carry,s two fat 18 stoner,s when needed . only weighs 80kg . had mine for 11yrs now never go away with out it .90cc but now you can get a 110 or 125 even 150cc versions. find mine ideal for being nosey on or even venturing off road or on the beach. luckily mine fits under the bed in the garage . i built it just high enough for the dax with handle bars folded down. never had the bike when i built it .took measurements from someone elses .

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Funny things arn't they
I recall something from Vosa re the spacing of the front wheels
One of them is deemed to be a car or class 4 mot if i recall right, the memory's going and we don't test em anyway so wern't paying attention that day::bigsmile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, i just googled mp3 scooter . never knew they existed .
geo .when i was building trikes i was told if the two wheels on the same axle are less than460mm apart it counts as one wheel.
never built one that tight as i built vw trikes (bet you guessed).
but op. may be better off with an aluminium rack with a ramp. could be made very easy and could be very light.
sometimes life just isnt simple is it.
think i have had just about all the recovery gadgets going .still have lots . come in usefull sometimes .

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Ive been following a solomatic braked A frame on ebay, missed it, but will be looking again. I still say they are illegal, but what the hell, I,ll not be going to spain wiht it, mostly this country, so , i,ll take the same chance everyone else does. I,d rather that than spend a fortune trying to stop Itinerants nicking a trailer.
Its a shame, cos i used to be falling over the things at work......till some beggar scrapped them,::bigsmile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
been using my solamatic for years .its one of the very early ones that rests on the bumper with chains going underneath. must have payed for itself a thousand times over. definately a good bit of kit. i also have an intertrade tow pole . and my bike recovery single spec was built using intertrades version as a plan. i borrowed it from a local racman at the time .

Feb 25, 2008
Barril da Alva, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
on and off for the whole of my existance
hi guys, I have an A frame here for sale, if you interested??

And question probably more for geo, but what are the rules/laws on fitting and using a spec lift on the rear of a vehicle, for recovery??

as for the trailer/rack for mp3, i can fabricate the smallest trailer for it. easy to lift and move by one person.

Cheyne

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Hi Silverdreamers, we have just returned from France/Spain towing a Suzuki Burgman (400cc) without a hitch. Over the last two years we have towed this combination for 5000 miles and are delighted with every aspect of size, weight and freedom. The trailer is an Armitage crossover and upto now cannot fault anything. The scooter is heavy but loading is simple and once tied down never moves, even over the French level crossings. If you need any other info just let me know.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
cheyne. think you will find that dvla may want to see it just to get the body change right. what weight vehicle is it going on . if over 3,500kg it will be mot exempt so vosa arent worried about it. if its used for recovery breakdowns locally no operators licence tacho etc are needed . just keep it up to roadworthyness .get a v112g exemption form from dvla office or post office for use when taxing the vehicle .
its one of those vehicles that can slip through the net . but get caught with it in bad condition they throw the book at you.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Cheyne, ditto what Alan said, its a good thing to do as long as its all in good nick, and LOOKS good, a scruffy old outfit attracts VOSA like flies to a cowpat.
What sort of a frame have you got.?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
cant beat a fresh coat of paint every year on a breakdown truck. even the harvey frost towboys etc . looks good leave you alone .
blind them with science ,hee hee.

Feb 25, 2008
Barril da Alva, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
on and off for the whole of my existance
A frame

The A frame i believe is an old chris cox.
it came off a citreon car.
I do not have the cable and brake system with it as that was well rusted into place.
But the A frame is complete and folds in half.
Are you going to Stratford show?
i can bring it with me if you are....

Cheyne

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
No i,m not going to stratford. I,ll give chris cox a ring in the morning to see if the bits are available for the braking, then i,ll pm you.:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, bet its only in need of a length of bowden cable . bowden cable and a small solderless fitting to fix to the brake pedal. to be honest asda are doing a kit of various lengths of bowden cable for about 4quid might be long enough. or visit a good motor bike shop. some still make up cables . we used to buy it all from venhill they did alsorts of ends as well.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
I,m lucky in a way, that the motor i,m going to tow is a landrover lightweight. Theyve got more holes in them than a colander and are really basic, the bumper is solid steel, being ex military, so fitting wont be a problem. I just need to see how the tow motor stopping, makes the landy brake pedal go down, once ive seen that i can make something up.
If anyone has a photo or diagram, that would be handy.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
the easiest way is to drill a hole in the floor behind the brake pedal and bolt the cable outer to the bulkhead, drill a hole in the pedal behind the foot plate in line with the hole in the floor so when the cable is pulled it pulls the brake pedal down.
attach the other end of the cable to the bumper area to connect to the overrun hitch on the tow ball of the towing vehicle.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you just have bowden cable to a small hole drilled in your bulk head of towed vehicle .then the inner is hooked fixed to your brake pedal.
other end is mounted to the drop arm that on a trailer works the cable brakes .
either use the bowden outer or fix a steel tube around the engine bay . this is un hooked from the aframe when not in use . tuck it away somewhere. when you see it its really very simple . hook a bungy to the pedal and the seat just in case your pedal spring isnt strong.
its a far cry from wedging the old hydraulic rams between the seat and the pedals .

OP
OP
S

slverdreamers

Free Member
Nov 22, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
18yrs
Recovery dolly/trailer

Thanks every one who took the time to reply, we have heard back and no the dolly isnt legal why dont they say that in their advert We will go for a transverse trailer. We have to have three wheels, as Peter's legs are too weak to support the scooter. Looking forward to getting back on a scooter
regards

QUOTE=slverdreamers;599972]Hi We are going back to a scooter - an mp3 as fed up with a frame hassle in Spain. We had an easilifter before which put a lot of strain on our long overhang. We are looking at either a transverse trailer, or the above which we saw on ebay. E mailed them but no reply. The scooter travels on its back wheel front ones suspended on this device on tow bar. Idea looks good no trailer to bother about, but just not sure about it or whether it should only be used by recovery people. Does anyone know about these
Wait to hear regards[/QUOTE]

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Good luck and keep us informed of your choices:thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Thanks every one who took the time to reply, we have heard back and no the dolly isnt legal why dont they say that in their advert We will go for a transverse trailer. We have to have three wheels, as Peter's legs are too weak to support the scooter. Looking forward to getting back on a scooter
regards

You will LOVE the MP.. They are enormous fun to ride, and even in pouring rain are very very safe indeed..
You can tip them right on their ear in the very worst conditions.. The most that ever happens is the front steps out a couple of inches before grabbing hold of the road again

We tried all sorts to get one to fall over.. really abused the poor thing.. Solid as a rock !!

Enjoy !! :thumb:

RonnieJ

Free Member
Jun 30, 2009
Thetford, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
9 years
I have an mp3 but you can't tow it , it has a centrifugal clutch so when it,s towed over 10mph the clutch will engage causing a lot of damage.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back