LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
I went for this one. Manual but doesn't add much overall height.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Just found this on Youtube, Interesting. Made me wonder what sort of payload the Roller team Zafiro Has?

Will it work on Proper bikes or just Honda's :D2:p;)

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
@StitchesnFluff I had to import it from Italy. I used https://www.campingsportmagenta.com/ but it is all in Italian. Thank goodness for Google translate. It was an extra 50euros for UK delivery.

Initially I fitted it using gaffer tape and a couple of blocks of wood to hold it in place. I used it a couple of times to make sure it was in the best place then fitted it permanently using the kit supplied. It's easy to remove the rails when not in use so you still have a flat garage floor when necessary.

I've been using it all summer and have been really pleased with it. Definitely makes unloading/loading the scooter easier and avoids having to take most things out of the garage so you can get alongside the scooter as you load it manually. Not cheap but really worth it for me.

Allan

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
That seems like a lot of work for a scooter.. and there is no triangulation on the straps , so it will flop about all over the place.

Biggest mistake people make loading bikes in MH's and low height trailers is putting them in forwards.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth

I just watched this... who the hell buys a camper like that, and then buys folding bikes, and an expensive storage system that doesn't need folding bikes.

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
That seems like a lot of work for a scooter.. and there is no triangulation on the straps , so it will flop about all over the place.

Biggest mistake people make loading bikes in MH's and low height trailers is putting them in forwards.
It's no effort to use and I only use the straps to get the scooter loaded. I still use conventional straps to hold it in place for transport.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
It's no effort to use and I only use the straps to get the scooter loaded. I still use conventional straps to hold it in place for transport.

Every bike/scooter /MH combo has its own issues , all of them are made worse by loading forwards, IMO when space is tight. Luckily for us our bikes are easy to strap, 2 bikes 2 straps.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
Every bike/scooter /MH combo has its own issues , all of them are made worse by loading forwards, IMO when space is tight. Luckily for us our bikes are easy to strap, 2 bikes 2 straps.
@PhilG I'm not sure I agree or fully understand that loading forward is an issue. I take the point if space is really/really tight going in backwards avoids the bars traveling the complete width of the garage but going in forwards allows the engine to be used to move the scooter up the ramp where pushing backwards (I've not tried it) sounds quite awkward to me specifically since my scooter is 165kg.

If height is an issue I'd have thought going forward would be best as the bike being at an angle as it goes up the ramp reduced vertical height slightly and the front wheel drops over any lip on the door before the bars (at max height) have to enter the door. Does that not get lost if you push in backwards i.e. do you have a slightly higher vertical height at door entry?

I suppose I need to try the reverse approach to get a better idea of how it works. I'm off to France on Friday so perhaps I'll give it a try when I load up on Thursday.

Allan

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
If you have a system , stick with it. Once you have something you are happy with that works for you , that's what works best .

You push the bike in backwards standing in front of it and pushing up the ramp with the bars, you cant do it from the side , it ends badly .

We have offroad bikes, some will go in with the front suspension compressed, some we have to take the wheel out , luckily the wheel out bike is the light one.

Years of experience has taught me that loading bikes with engines running is a recipe to become a You Tube star, so I don't and wont ever do it.

When going in backwards, I can get a bike through the door that is actually bigger than the aperture when measured because the wheel is still below the level of the floor when the handle bars go in. Add to that you don't have to get in to push on the bars either, because you can do it from the floor outside.

Our bikes are around 110kg, but I have put larger stuff in , 690 KTM is well over 140kg .

My floor height is very high , which is a trade off for having an overhang with ground clearance, so its important to get it nailed down. Add to that we have on occasion had to get 3 bikes in , having a single solution isn't something we can have.

I miss my 7.5 tonner , low floor , full height garage made it a piece of cake to get stuff in and out, but I don't miss 15mpg and 65 mph

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back